Top Shelf Aquatics

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 14g BC and I use the NC12 Skimmer and it fits nicely into the 2nd chamber after some light trimming off the back lip of the tank.

post-23197-1166128146_thumb.jpg

I understand why #1 was done but can't see what the deal with #2 and #3 is. I am also thinking about taking out the filter cartridge in the far right chamber and just filling the entire area up with small live rock. What do you think?

Just received my NC12 from Nano Tuners. I've gotta tell you this thing does look great! Now I just want to know if I've hooked it up right. The only diagram that came with the Skimmer is for the all-in-ones but I'm using this in a custom application where it sits inside my Refugium for my 2.5 pico (which also is a 2.5). It fits in there perfectly and from what I see is sitting at a perfect water height. But when I turn on the pump for the skimmer (set to the second to lowest setting) little bubbles come through and eventually it fills with water and I have to shut it off. Whats the deal? Like I said not much came with the skimmer in the way of instructions. So I'm assuming that the black hose connects from the pump to the top fitting, right? I had to cut the hose as it was too long. I've attached a pic for illustration. Hope it's not too big. Can I get some help?

Thanks

post-12582-1166491966_thumb.jpg

I'm a nano-newbie, but experienced sps keeper....so I'm not a complete idiot....be gentle! ;)

I'm interested in the skimmer for the AP24....

After reviewing this thread and checking out the diagrams a few pages back (p.14), I got the impression that to use this skimmer properly, the water level in the back (sump) section needs to be relatively low (2/3)...somewhat lower than I can maintain without permanently blocking the lower and middle intake grates.

Is that true?

I'm certainly interested in getting the skimmer, but only if I can run it effectively in the AP24 with the canopy CLOSED and WITHOUT having to make any permanent mods to the tank/top (i.e., NO cutting or gluing the tank top or sump).

Any suggestions/comments???

TIA

I have to set my pump on the lowest setting with the NC 12 or it floods. I was thinking the people saying they have theirs on the 2nd to lowest setting have a different model.

I put this up on a different thread but I thought it would b

a good idea to put it up here also.

I am going to be modding my 14g Biocube soon. I have already taken out the filter cartridges in chamber 3 and replaced the lot with live rock. I am hoping that Kyle at Sapphire Aquatics will be able to have his new universal nano skimmer done soon. If not I am going to get the NC12 and modify it to fit into chamber 2. I have a small heater I have put into chamber 1. Is there really anything I should be doing? I will just have some inverts and 1 fish and possibly a few corals down the line.

I have to set my pump on the lowest setting with the NC 12 or it floods. I was thinking the people saying they have theirs on the 2nd to lowest setting have a different model.

Thanks for the response Perry. So is this the case that these skimmers (NC12) come with different pumps and must be set at different pump settings?

Perry, how is yours working BTW?

Thanks again

Sapphire Aquatics

compulou - PM replied to. Protein skimmers work because of the density of saltwater. Freshwater protein skimming is possible, but requires a tremendous amount of water pressure. Once you fill your tank with saltwater the skimmer will begin working and you will notice that the bubbles are much finer than the big bubbles that it is making now.

All of the skimmers, except the BC29, come with the same pump. While all of the tanks are the same design there are small differences that will make the pump act differently in some tanks. Any back pressure from the outlet being blocked will cause the body to overflow. Having the collection cup too low will force microbubbles back in to the tank. I am working on more specific instructions and schematics, but I am always available for support via email.

SPerry - I have made some subtle changes to the design over the past few months trying to refine the design and I am always looking to make improvements and offer the best possible product that I can. I can't say what might be restricting you from increasing the pump flow, but it was always intended to be run on the lowest setting and still is. Flow is not important when we are talking about protein skimming. The most important factor is the contact time of the bubbles. The longer the dwell time the more "protein" is attracted to the bubbles surface and the better the quality of the skimmate. There is only so much contact time possible in the 8" tall body of the NC12 skimmer so low flow is the key to collecting the best quality skimmate. I hope that this answers your question and relieves your concern of the pump not producing enough flow.

Kyle

Hello Kyle,

Just wanted to reply to your post. I didnt mean to sound unhappy with the skimmer. I was replying to compulou that said his flooded on the 2nd setting. I had read in several post where people were running the pump on the 2nd setting so I tried it. I assumed he did the same thing. I did note that the instructions specifically say NC12 users should use the lowest setting. With the skimmer set as recommended it works great and I am a very satisfied customer. I plan on recommending your product to everyone. Thanks

Quote:

SPerry - I have made some subtle changes to the design over the past few months trying to refine the design and I am always looking to make improvements and offer the best possible product that I can. I can't say what might be restricting you from increasing the pump flow, but it was always intended to be run on the lowest setting and still is. Flow is not important when we are talking about protein skimming. The most important factor is the contact time of the bubbles. The longer the dwell time the more "protein" is attracted to the bubbles surface and the better the quality of the skimmate. There is only so much contact time possible in the 8" tall body of the NC12 skimmer so low flow is the key to collecting the best quality skimmate. I hope that this answers your question and relieves your concern of the pump not producing enough flow.

Perry, how is yours working BTW?

Thanks again

Mine seems to be working great. I am just setting the tank up so it is still cycling. With no bio-load there isnt anything to skim.

i really want to get the skimmer for aquapod 24 and i have a question.

my aquapod is in my bedroom so therefore noise is a big issue, so can you tell me if it makes a lot of noise?and can i still run a jbj autotop off that i ordered from nanotuners?

does anyone have a pic of the ap24 skimmer in there aquapod 24g? i need to see how much room it takes up. i want one but i did the 2x maxi-jet 900 mod to my tank. so i need a pic of the ap24 skimmer in someones ap24 tank so i can see what i can do to my tank to make the skimmer fit. if i cant get one of these to fit i guess ill have to order the aquac remora hob skimmer but i would like to use one of these Sapphire Nano Skimmers instead if i can get it to fit. please ap24 owners with this skimmer post a pic for me. thanks

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but I really dont have time to read through 16 pages.

Hi,

I recently was given as an early Christmas gift a nano set-up with one of the sapphire skimmers. The system was purchased used (for 4 months)

I am encountering a few problems that I hope you can help me out with. The nano is a JBJ 24 Gallon DX

1) I find that when the back chambers are filled almost to the top, the skimmer stops working. I have to either pull the skimmer out a bit so it can work or empty the water in the rear chambers to a medium level.

2) i dont know if its because I was turning the pump on or off a few times to get the right setting, but the pump now seems to be jammed since there is no flow coming up the skimmer. Do you think something is wron with the skimmer? Do I have to replace it? Clean it? Please let me know.

3) Is it possible to replace the pump with a maxi jet 400 or other models? Will it still fit in the chamber once installed?

4) Lastly, I noticet that when the skimmer is plugged in, I start to get lots of microbubbles. Is there something I can do to avoid this. I usually have to unplu it during the day and only let it run at night.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Other than those issues, the pump seems to run great

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but I really dont have time to read through 16 pages.

Hi,

I recently was given as an early Christmas gift a nano set-up with one of the sapphire skimmers. The system was purchased used (for 4 months)

I am encountering a few problems that I hope you can help me out with. The nano is a JBJ 24 Gallon DX

1) I find that when the back chambers are filled almost to the top, the skimmer stops working. I have to either pull the skimmer out a bit so it can work or empty the water in the rear chambers to a medium level.

2) i dont know if its because I was turning the pump on or off a few times to get the right setting, but the pump now seems to be jammed since there is no flow coming up the skimmer. Do you think something is wron with the skimmer? Do I have to replace it? Clean it? Please let me know.

3) Is it possible to replace the pump with a maxi jet 400 or other models? Will it still fit in the chamber once installed?

4) Lastly, I noticet that when the skimmer is plugged in, I start to get lots of microbubbles. Is there something I can do to avoid this. I usually have to unplu it during the day and only let it run at night.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Other than those issues, the pump seems to run great

Hi Mr.Aquaman

I have the same setup.

1) It sounds like you don't have the skimmer attachment on the overflow. You will need that to lower the water level in the back chambers. If you dont have one head on over to nanotuners and order one. If you are a DYI type then check around here for the cassette tape mod for the overflow.

EDIT: this is the link to the overflow surface skimmer. I just bought this and it is a great product. Much better than the one that JBJ includes in the box.

Surface Skimmer 24G

2) Not sure about the water not rising but the air intake is at the very top of the protien skimmer so when that clogs with water you will lose the bubbly action. I find that running the water level almost even with the water opening (cutout at the top of the divider between chamber 2 & 3) I get a nice bubbling action.

3) Not sure about replacing the pump, although I am interested in the same becuase I am currently having issues with my pump and my foam production. I just cleaned it and I am giving it another day or so. I may need to contact Kyle for support.

4) Any new skimmer needs time to "break-in". You will notice bubbles in the display for some time, depending on your bio-load and other factors. I still get them after a month of running non stop. A few things others have suggested and you can try:

- I and others have found that for the 24g set-ups it is best to run the skimmer pump 1 notch higher than the lowest setting. This worked initially for me, like I said I am having some issues now.

- Turn the output so it is facing left towards chamber 1.

- Move the simmer into chamber 1. (I tried this but found that the overflow was splashing all over the top of the skimmer and clogging the tiny airholes.)

- Add a small sponge in between chamber 2 & 3 over the slit. I didn't find that this helped much and even lowered the level in the 3rd chamber too much.

- Be patient and allow the micro-bubbles to go away naturally. Like I said I still have them, but only very, very few if that.

Lastly, you will really find great help in these posts. It may seem like alot to read, but the knowledge is priceless.

Good Luck.

Hi All,

I figured I might try posting my issue here to see if anyone has encountered a no foam issue.

I seem to be having an issue with my foam production going on now for days. I started skimming about 3 weeks ago. After about a day or so of initial break-in it was producing a really nice stream of foam rising into the collection cup with a light tea skimmate, getting darker over time. I did have a micro-bubble issue and based on some other posts I moved the simmer to chamber 1 but found that the water was splashing all over the top of the skimmer and I guess that is where my problems started.

I don’t use any additives at the moment other than B-Ionic, and the bag of chemi-pure. After emptying my collection cup almost daily I noticed one morning that there was no longer any foam rising or even forming. instead I was getting tons of bubbles but no production of actual foam rising. I left it alone for 1 1/2 days figuring it was just normal but still nothing. I even adjusted the collection cup lower but still no foam just big bubbles.

Frustrated, two days ago I moved the skimmer back to chamber 2. I still have not gotten any foam to produce. I have moved the collection cup up/down no matter. I have cleaned the entire skimmer, pump and air hose. Still nada. Air is moving through the hose no problem. I even played with the speed settings and although the water level rose in the skimmer itself I had no positive results and it caused micro-bubbles to stream into the display. The lowest setting produced almost no bubbles. I generally think that it just creates alot of flow but very little bubble action all of a sudden.

Has anyone had an issue like this? Could my water just have nothing left to skim right now? I did a 10% water change yesterday and usually that would cause wild foam, but I got nothing. I even added 2 very small clowns yesterday and still no foam.

I am stumped. I was thinking that the pump might be the culprit? Something else mabey with my water?

24g NC DX

Chamber1 - Filter floss -> Chemi-pure -> Live Rock

Chamber2 - Skimmer

Chamber 3 - Heater, MJ1200 return pump

Specs:

Am, Ni, Na, PH, all undetectable

KH - 9

Ca - 380

PH - 8.2 <~> 8.4

SG - 1.025

~Skimmer pump setting – 1 notch up from lowest setting.

Thanks.

Zach

ok. So much fun for a Christmas-eve night. :D

As a last thought I removed the Chemi-pure and rinsed it under tap water really good. Black slime came out of it. So much so that my bucket was covered in it. What is in this stuff? I had initially rinsed it when it was new under tap till it ran clear, I dont now what this stuff was but it was very slimey.

I had been rinsing it in the dirty water change bucket before. I replaced the chemi and within minutes so much foam formed that it is almost over skimming. I raised the cup some and it appears to be working great again!

Sorry for the long posts, I am certain nothing is wrong with my pump now, just me, lol! I think next week I will toss the chemi-pure and just use regular ol' carbon.

Thanks.

Zach

Sapphire Aquatics

zach9824 - That black slime collected by the chemipure might be the dust released by the activated carbon. If you recently replaced the carbon you may not have rinsed it well enough, and the chemipure caught it all for you. Some brands of carbon have a ton of dust and others have almost none. Glad to hear that you are back on track!

Hi, I just place an order fro NC24 and NC12, it said 47 in stock since Sept 09, I just wondering you still have it in stock? Because I am Canada.

Thanks again!

I saw that you have a refugium/skimmer HOB. Any plans for just a HOB skimmer minus the refugium? I have a 16" cube and only plan on using 1-2 Tunze Nano-Streams and maybe a small sized skimmer.

zach9824 - That black slime collected by the chemipure might be the dust released by the activated carbon. If you recently replaced the carbon you may not have rinsed it well enough, and the chemipure caught it all for you. Some brands of carbon have a ton of dust and others have almost none. Glad to hear that you are back on track!

Ton of AP24 skimmer questions were asked....no answers...hmmmm. <_<

Sapphire Aquatics

monkey28 - I am waiting for the next batch of pumps to arrive and your order will ship the same day. They should be here by Friday at the latest.

J-Bass - I am working on developing a hang on model, but it will take some time to perfect it. There are already so many on the market that it seems silly to make the same thing everyone else is making. So I am taking my time and trying to make something unique.

TonyA - Most comments and questions directed toward me also come as PM or email. I answer them as quick as they come in. I try to let others respond to questions on this thread so you get several opinions, not just mine.

Obsessed Reefer

Just ordered one last night from nanotuners for my NC12. Cant wait. Once I get it, I can finally add a BTA to my cube. Thanks for making such a great product!!

monkey28 - I am waiting for the next batch of pumps to arrive and your order will ship the same day. They should be here by Friday at the latest.

J-Bass - I am working on developing a hang on model, but it will take some time to perfect it. There are already so many on the market that it seems silly to make the same thing everyone else is making. So I am taking my time and trying to make something unique.

TonyA - Most comments and questions directed toward me also come as PM or email. I answer them as quick as they come in. I try to let others respond to questions on this thread so you get several opinions, not just mine.

how is the model for aquapod 24?

ok i think i should of ordered my ap24 skimmer from sapphireaquatics instead of nanotuners. my skimmer should of been here yesturday and it never showed up. i have been tring to get a hold of nanotuners since yesturday and no response yet from them. this really sucks i ordered it on monday and got the 2 day shipping they sent it out on tuesday my tracking number showed it would be here on dec 28th its now the 29th and still no skimmer.

Archived