SaltCritters.com

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

I just got my tank/skimmer set up this afternoon. I swear I will post pictures and descriptions later, probably tomorrow. My question is. I have the AQ24 with the Sapphire skimmer is there anyway to keep some form of the sponge in the intake area? Now that the skimmer is there the original ones obviously wont fit anymore. I'm afraid that the pump for the skimmer will clog up all the time. What are you guys doing on your AQ24's? I could cut the original sponges into 1/4 size pieces and wedge them in front of the skimmer maybe? Thanks!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got my tank/skimmer set up this afternoon. I swear I will post pictures and descriptions later, probably tomorrow. My question is. I have the AQ24 with the Sapphire skimmer is there anyway to keep some form of the sponge in the intake area? Now that the skimmer is there the original ones obviously wont fit anymore. I'm afraid that the pump for the skimmer will clog up all the time. What are you guys doing on your AQ24's? I could cut the original sponges into 1/4 size pieces and wedge them in front of the skimmer maybe? Thanks!

i have a 24g ap i dont use any filter media in the first chamber now that i have the skimmer i use to have live rock rubble and floss before i had the skimmer. but i do use floss in the second chamber before the return pumps.

not yet ill post some later or tomorrow. it hasent really produced any skimmate yet because the pumps impeller wasent spining right to create a nice steady stream of air it was pulsing. so i contacted Kyle and he told me how to fix it. now it seems to be working alot better ill post pics once it produces some skim.

I am having the same problem, can you tell me how to fix that pulsation thing??

Thanks

I am having the same problem, can you tell me how to fix that pulsation thing??

Thanks

sorry for the late reply all you have to do is unplug it and plug it back in it might take a few times to get it to work. the reason it pulses is because the impeller needs to be spinning counter clockwise to pull a good ventri. let me know if you get it to work.

sorry for the late reply all you have to do is unplug it and plug it back in it might take a few times to get it to work. the reason it pulses is because the impeller needs to be spinning counter clockwise to pull a good ventri. let me know if you get it to work.

It works now, thanks!

My pleasure, I am always available to answer questions. You can reach me via email if you need a fast response.

Kyle

Just wanted to drop on in here Kyle and thank you for the quick response via email today on the AP12. I had plans to block off that area under chambers 2 and 3 so that nitrates would not be a factor. Depending on what you do will determine what I do. Looking forward to seeing your plans on the AP12 version.

Thanks again...

ok I'm going to elaborate from my last post. I just checked the supplied instructions. I have my skimmer in my NC 24 in the first chamber, with the outlet now pointed to the left of the tank. Now that its pointed to the left its making way more micro bubbles. The included diagram shows that the water level should be even throughout the chambers, but mine is not.

In the first chamber my water level is about half an inch from the bottom of the air intake. THe water level in the 3rd chamber is much lower than that of the 1st two chamber.

Its noisy, and theres alot of micro bubbles. the skimmer has been running for four days. The tank has been running for 11 months.

Any input is appreciated

Austin

Hello,

My BF got my NC24 skimmer today. But I think they sent the wrong one. it sits to low. The water level in the tank need to be almost 1/2 below trim. that sucks:)

I followed directions and no luck. I hope I don't need to add a spacer to raise it! please help. I looked on package slip for a telephone no luck. I just hate to have to wait for a reply everytime I have a question:( I would rather call and have some one walk me through it.

Thanks again for your time:)

Miriam

Hello,

My BF got my NC24 skimmer today. But I think they sent the wrong one. it sits to low. The water level in the tank need to be almost 1/2 below trim. that sucks:)

I followed directions and no luck. I hope I don't need to add a spacer to raise it! please help. I looked on package slip for a telephone no luck. I just hate to have to wait for a reply everytime I have a question:( I would rather call and have some one walk me through it.

Miriam

Did you change your tank to a 24? I thought you had a 12G. Do you have the right skimmer?

Did you change your tank to a 24? I thought you had a 12G. Do you have the right skimmer?

hi:), yes i changed to the NC24. LOL I needed a lil more room to aqua scape. lol

the invoice shows for a NC24. I followed diagram exactly. no luck:(

hi:), yes i changed to the NC24. LOL I needed a lil more room to aqua scape. lol

the invoice shows for a NC24. I followed diagram exactly. no luck:(

Well, unfortunately the only option you have over at sapphire aquatics is to send an email from the site.. However, Kyle is pretty good at responding quickly. Unfortunately I don't think that he can respond as fast as you would like him to. There is not any phone number ( good idea on his part, he would never get anything done if people were calling all the time ) so I guess email or this thread is the way to go.

Sorry I could not help out any further I am sure when someone that owns one sees this post of yours they will comment.

Good Luck!

:) thanks that's very sweet of you!

From what I read Kyle seems like a really cool person to deal with. So I will wait in line:)

I was just so excited to get the skimmer going.lol

Miriam

Well, unfortunately the only option you have over at sapphire aquatics is to send an email from the site.. However, Kyle is pretty good at responding quickly. Unfortunately I don't think that he can respond as fast as you would like him to. There is not any phone number ( good idea on his part, he would never get anything done if people were calling all the time ) so I guess email or this thread is the way to go.

Sorry I could not help out any further I am sure when someone that owns one sees this post of yours they will comment.

Good Luck!

Do you have the surface skimmer in place? You should be able to play with moving it up or down to raise the water level in the tank and lower it in the chambers.

Do you have the surface skimmer in place? You should be able to play with moving it up or down to raise the water level in the tank and lower it in the chambers.

Hello:)

Yes:). tried that. no luck yet:(

I have it placed in the first chamber like the diagram shows too. I was going to try it in the 2nd chamber but figure I ask first LOL

I can't think of anything more. lol

hello:)

My MJ1200 arrived today. I switched it with the stock return pump that came with the tank and it lowered the water line just enogh for the skimmer to start working properly..:)

thanks,

Miriam:)

Good to hear you finally got it working Miriam! I wish I had known about the skimmer ssoner when I had my AP12 set up, heaven knows my tank could have definitely used it!! =X

Good to hear you finally got it working Miriam! I wish I had known about the skimmer ssoner when I had my AP12 set up, heaven knows my tank could have definitely used it!! =X

:) thx Matt,

yeah, I'm glad I got it working:)

We are going to try and make it to the frag trade. Do you know how late it will go?

Miriam

I just got the NC12 for my Hoodless AP12. A lot of micro bubbles and not that much foam at first so left it over night and in the morning......no bubbles and the collection cup was almost full with green tea colored crap and chunks. This is the best nano skimmer EVER.

Stay tuned for pics!

Hello :)

what's a good place to start with the hight level of the collection cup? it's been running for about 2 days and I thought I had it set correctly because an occational bubble would rise. so I left for the weekend and when I got back I checked and it looked the same.

I turned the skimmer because it seemed to help a little.

What now????

thanks again,

Miriam

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I posted these pictures to show how it looks like, installed in my tank. The skimmate is from overnight skimming in a bucket(break-in period). I also used a small piece of plastic to keep the skimmer in place. This is the NC12 version. I installed the skimmer in the first chamber to keep the micro bubbles to a minimal. Seems to help alot. You would have to look really close to tell that there are micro bubbles. I will post skimmate when it's fully broken in. I would definitely buy the skimmer again! Thanks again Kyle! Anyone wants to buy a used fission? =)

BTW...I purposely installed the skimmer's output to the left side of the tank...sorta like a recirculation skimmer =).

hEllo peanut:)

wish mine worked like yours:(

your skimmer seems to be raised more than mine. did you use some kind of a riser?

thx,

Miriam

woohoo:)

OK i read just about every reply on this post.

I reduced the input setting to half the minimum and i plugged and unplugged the power head fast 3 time and that did it. it's producing foam now:)

thanks everyone;)

Miriam

• 2 weeks later...

Does the 12 gallon version measure 2.25" front to back or left to right? I'm trying to find a way to fit this in a BioCube 8. If cutting the back lip of the tank to get it in is needed, then so be it. Is there any way to get this to fit? It seems like the Tunze Nano skimmer is to long by about a 1/4 inch. Biocube chamber is a little over 4 1/2 and skimmer is 4.9 according to site.

Archived