Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had my skimmer in my NC24 for let's see three or four days now. Pump is on the second (next to lowest) setting. Still got some microbubbles, but not as many as I had with a Fission skimmer, plus I'm actually getting skimmate! Yipppeeeeee!

You sure the fission produces more bubbles than your NC24? I have the NC12 and it runs circles around my fission, hands down.

You sure the fission produces more bubbles than your NC24? I have the NC12 and it runs circles around my fission, hands down.You sure the fission produces more bubbles than your NC24? I have the NC12 and it runs circles around my fission, hands down.

I think he means microbubbles going back into the tank.

Sapphire Aquatics

I missed a question about someones setup here. Sorry for the late reply, but I have been working in the shop since 8:00 A.M.

"My tank has three chambers and I understand the skimmer fits in the center chamber. I currently have 2 sponges in chamber #1, a sponge, charcoal and ceramic rings in chamber #2, and bio-balls and the pump in chamber #3. Can you advise what is required to remain in each chamber; or more specifically, the suggested set up for each chamber along with the skimmer?"

In this case I would suggest placing the skimmer in the first chamber, counting left to right. The removal of the sponge in the first chamber will not affect anything. The ceramic rings have an incredible amount of surface are that will house tremendous amounts of beneficial bacteria. This type of media however is best suited for a freshwater application, and more specifically a trickle tower or Bakki Shower. The shower keeps the D.O.C.s from collecting on the surface. The down side to ceramic rings, bio balls, and some other porous medias is that they will collect D.O.C.s, dissolved organic compounds, and the beneficial bacteria will be smothered. In an aquarium you most likely have a laminar flow of water through the media and detritus is prone to attaching to the media. In a shower system for a pond it passes through and is removed by mechanical filtration, i.e. a settling chamber or micro screen. Your live rock is essentially the same as ceramic rings. The rings were fired at a very high temperature to make them explode and increase in size. This greatly increases their surface are and gives plenty of room for the bacteria colony to expand and accommodate the increasing load of ammonia. The main difference between ceramic and live rock is that we try to increase the flow in the display and make it as random as possible. This keeps the detritus in suspension and allows the skimmer to remove it mechanically. These types of media are not a problem in a marine tank so long as you routinely, at least once a week, remove the media and rinse it in your change water or RO water. I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of neglecting my aquarium from time to time therefore these types of media are not recommended for a marine application. The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite grows at an incredible rate, the bacteria that converts the nitrite to nitrate grows at an alarmingly slow rate. What this means is that once the bacteria on the media becomes smothered by detritus it dies off and the nitrites will build up until the bacteria has a chance to catch up and convert it to nitrate. Nitrites are very bad for fish and will stress them quickly and often result in death. Once the bacteria does catch up you now have a new problem, they have all been converted to nitrates. Nitrates are very harmful to coral and your coral will let you know that something is wrong almost instantly. In my experience the combination of water changes and protein skimming has had the best results.

I hope that this has answered your question and not bored you to tears. Please feel free to ask more questions, I am always happy to help out.

I missed a question about someones setup here. Sorry for the late reply, but I have been working in the shop since 8:00 A.M.

"My tank has three chambers and I understand the skimmer fits in the center chamber. I currently have 2 sponges in chamber #1, a sponge, charcoal and ceramic rings in chamber #2, and bio-balls and the pump in chamber #3. Can you advise what is required to remain in each chamber; or more specifically, the suggested set up for each chamber along with the skimmer?"

In this case I would suggest placing the skimmer in the first chamber, counting left to right. The removal of the sponge in the first chamber will not affect anything. The ceramic rings have an incredible amount of surface are that will house tremendous amounts of beneficial bacteria. This type of media however is best suited for a freshwater application, and more specifically a trickle tower or Bakki Shower. The shower keeps the D.O.C.s from collecting on the surface. The down side to ceramic rings, bio balls, and some other porous medias is that they will collect D.O.C.s, dissolved organic compounds, and the beneficial bacteria will be smothered. In an aquarium you most likely have a laminar flow of water through the media and detritus is prone to attaching to the media. In a shower system for a pond it passes through and is removed by mechanical filtration, i.e. a settling chamber or micro screen. Your live rock is essentially the same as ceramic rings. The rings were fired at a very high temperature to make them explode and increase in size. This greatly increases their surface are and gives plenty of room for the bacteria colony to expand and accommodate the increasing load of ammonia. The main difference between ceramic and live rock is that we try to increase the flow in the display and make it as random as possible. This keeps the detritus in suspension and allows the skimmer to remove it mechanically. These types of media are not a problem in a marine tank so long as you routinely, at least once a week, remove the media and rinse it in your change water or RO water. I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of neglecting my aquarium from time to time therefore these types of media are not recommended for a marine application. The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite grows at an incredible rate, the bacteria that converts the nitrite to nitrate grows at an alarmingly slow rate. What this means is that once the bacteria on the media becomes smothered by detritus it dies off and the nitrites will build up until the bacteria has a chance to catch up and convert it to nitrate. Nitrites are very bad for fish and will stress them quickly and often result in death. Once the bacteria does catch up you now have a new problem, they have all been converted to nitrates. Nitrates are very harmful to coral and your coral will let you know that something is wrong almost instantly. In my experience the combination of water changes and protein skimming has had the best results.

I hope that this has answered your question and not bored you to tears. Please feel free to ask more questions, I am always happy to help out.

Can I assume that the tank he is describing is a NanoCube setup?? Sponges chamber 1, Charcoal and Ceramic rings chamber 2, and BioBalls and pump in chamber 3.

Now that I have live rock I have no need for the bioballs and ceramic rings..

1. Transfer sponges from chamber 1 to chamber 2 (middle).

2. Then put my nc12 sapphire skimmer into chamber 1 (for less micro bubbles in tank)

3. Turn pumps on and adjust.

4. Watch my corals thrive.

Can anyone verify this and does anyone know of a good location to put the charcoal bag?

===============================================

My setup is a NC12 DX

Thanks,

Mutt

Can I assume that the tank he is describing is a NanoCube setup?? Sponges chamber 1, Charcoal and Ceramic rings chamber 2, and BioBalls and pump in chamber 3.

Now that I have live rock I have no need for the bioballs and ceramic rings..

1. Transfer sponges from chamber 1 to chamber 2 (middle).

2. Then put my nc12 sapphire skimmer into chamber 1 (for less micro bubbles in tank)

3. Turn pumps on and adjust.

4. Watch my corals thrive.

Can anyone verify this and does anyone know of a good location to put the charcoal bag?

===============================================

My setup is a NC12 DX

Thanks,

Mutt

I also have a NC12 DX. I have removed ALL the bio balls, ceremic rings, and sponges in the back chamber. In the first chamber, I have the skimmer installed w/ the water outlet towards the left side of the tank. In the second chamber, I have carbon(black magic) & Phosban in a media bag which I replace every 2 weeks and wash thoroughly, and also the heater(Azoo 50watt). Third chamber, only the return pump. HTH

I also have a NC12 DX. I have removed ALL the bio balls, ceremic rings, and sponges in the back chamber. In the first chamber, I have the skimmer installed w/ the water outlet towards the left side of the tank. In the second chamber, I have carbon(black magic) & Phosban in a media bag which I replace every 2 weeks and wash thoroughly, and also the heater(Azoo 50watt). Third chamber, only the return pump. HTH

Nice.. Thanks for the information Peanut917 =)

I received my NC24 skimmer this morning and I am really impressed with it. My filtration in the rear chambers is as follows:

Chamber1 ~> Filter Floss, ChemiPure, 1lb LR in nylon bag.

Chamber2 ~> NC24 Skimmer with output facing right towards chamber3

Chamber3 ~> Heater, return pump

I have two questions.

1) I know the break in period is 24-48hrs during which the micro bubbles will enter the tank. I see here that a few people have suggested pointing the output of the skimmer to point right towards chamber1. Can this always be running in that direction or was it designed to push the output flow into chamber3?

2) I found out after installing the skimmer that I actually had my water level too high somewhat. Using the surface skimmer provided with my NC the water level was all but to the start of the collection cup when installed. I siphoned off about 3/4 gallon of tank water to get that water level down and then the bubbles started right up. After playing around with the water level in chambers 2 & 3 using surface skimmer movements I found it works best when my skimmer is all the way up, slowing the water into the chambers however now the overflow has become very noisy. The water level in Chamber1 has lowered such that it splashes down from the overflow. This makes a trickling sound effect. I was wondering if anyone else has run across this or if there was just something I wasn't doing right.

Thanks.

I received my NC24 skimmer this morning and I am really impressed with it. My filtration in the rear chambers is as follows:

Chamber1 ~> Filter Floss, ChemiPure, 1lb LR in nylon bag.

Chamber2 ~> NC24 Skimmer with output facing right towards chamber3

Chamber3 ~> Heater, return pump

I have two questions.

1) I know the break in period is 24-48hrs during which the micro bubbles will enter the tank. I see here that a few people have suggested pointing the output of the skimmer to point right towards chamber1. Can this always be running in that direction or was it designed to push the output flow into chamber3?

2) I found out after installing the skimmer that I actually had my water level too high somewhat. Using the surface skimmer provided with my NC the water level was all but to the start of the collection cup when installed. I siphoned off about 3/4 gallon of tank water to get that water level down and then the bubbles started right up. After playing around with the water level in chambers 2 & 3 using surface skimmer movements I found it works best when my skimmer is all the way up, slowing the water into the chambers however now the overflow has become very noisy. The water level in Chamber1 has lowered such that it splashes down from the overflow. This makes a trickling sound effect. I was wondering if anyone else has run across this or if there was just something I wasn't doing right.

Thanks.

zach

i just got my nc24 skimmer today and this is how i set mine up:

chamber 1 live rock

chamber 2- skimmer with the output facing chamber 1 (pump is on lowest setting..whenever the pumo settng was mid-high, it resulted in too much actual water going into the collection cup)

chamber 3-pump,. heater, renew

my skimmer is all the way up and currently i do not have any splashing. i beleive my water levels are ok after i removed about 7 cups of water.

but to answer your question..i currently have no splashing in chamber 1.

i have not had any issues with the outuput but i am SURE i will have to play with settings a little more over the next couple weeks.

zach

i just got my nc24 skimmer today and this is how i set mine up:

chamber 1 live rock

chamber 2- skimmer with the output facing chamber 1 (pump is on lowest setting..whenever the pumo settng was mid-high, it resulted in too much actual water going into the collection cup)

chamber 3-pump,. heater, renew

my skimmer is all the way up and currently i do not have any splashing. i beleive my water levels are ok after i removed about 7 cups of water.

but to answer your question..i currently have no splashing in chamber 1.

i have not had any issues with the outuput but i am SURE i will have to play with settings a little more over the next couple weeks.

Thanks. I turned the skimmer around and lowered the pump and i was able to raise the water level in the chambers eliminating most of the splashing. I also think the bubbles have already gone away.

I dont have a skimmer in mine but due to pump arrangement I had a similar noise from the weir. I made a shelf from egg crate which is fixed just below the weir using a hear clip, on top I place some filter floss which provide a particle filter and removes the noise of the water falling. I clean the floss every 2 day and replace weekly

Thanks. I turned the skimmer around and lowered the pump and i was able to raise the water level in the chambers eliminating most of the splashing. I also think the bubbles have already gone away.

update:

so the pump on the lowest setting does NOTHING. even if i lower the collection cup all the way down.

so i went to the 2nd lowest pump setting with the collection cup pretty high up. this works perfectly. excellent skimmate just after 12 hours (has been running 36 total hours)

still bubbles present. i hope that dissipates soon

I've had the BC29 skimmer in my tank for about 5 days now. I would say about 90% of the microbubbles are gone but there are still some that get into the display. Is this a common problem? Has anyone got the microbubbles to completely go away?

I've had the BC29 skimmer in my tank for about 5 days now. I would say about 90% of the microbubbles are gone but there are still some that get into the display. Is this a common problem? Has anyone got the microbubbles to completely go away?

megan

what setting do you have your pump on? or is there even a setting for the bc29? not sure how that skimmer was set up.

Hey Guys

I'm from the UK and have been following this thread with interest.

I know you guys in the states use 120v and we use 240v, so I guess the skimmer pumps are all 120v.

I have a 24G NanoCube and would really like to buy one of these skimmers.

My questions are:

1. Are there any UK members reading this thread who have bought a skimmer for their 24G Cube?

2. Does anyone know if Sapphire actually ship to the UK.

3. If they do ship to the UK (fingers crossed) is there a 240v pump I can buy that will fit this skimmer?

Many Thanks

Sharky

update:

so the pump on the lowest setting does NOTHING. even if i lower the collection cup all the way down.

so i went to the 2nd lowest pump setting with the collection cup pretty high up. this works perfectly. excellent skimmate just after 12 hours (has been running 36 total hours)

still bubbles present. i hope that dissipates soon

I can confirm the same. I found that the pump on the lowest setting does little to create enough lift to get the bubbles up the neck of the skimmer. 2nd from lowest seems to be the best. I do notice that the pump makes a thump thump noise but I am starting to see some skimmate in the collection cup. The microbubbles don't see to be an issue today. I took the skimmer out and rinsed in in warmer water. Once I looked this morning I do not see any bubbles in the main display, but I did turn that output around which may have helped.

I have to say I am very pleased with the design.

Hey Guys

I'm from the UK and have been following this thread with interest.

I know you guys in the states use 120v and we use 240v, so I guess the skimmer pumps are all 120v.

I have a 24G NanoCube and would really like to buy one of these skimmers.

My questions are:

1. Are there any UK members reading this thread who have bought a skimmer for their 24G Cube?

2. Does anyone know if Sapphire actually ship to the UK.

3. If they do ship to the UK (fingers crossed) is there a 240v pump I can buy that will fit this skimmer?

Many Thanks

Sharky

hey sharky, i'm from uk, i've ordered a skimmer from sapphire aquatics i'm just waiting for it now should be any day. price including shipping was £57,all i'm doing is using a transformer got one from amazon.co.uk for about a tenner. hope this helps

mark

hey sharky, i'm from uk, i've ordered a skimmer from sapphire aquatics i'm just waiting for it now should be any day. price including shipping was £57,all i'm doing is using a transformer got one from amazon.co.uk for about a tenner. hope this helps

mark

Hey Mark

Thanks for that - I'm so glad they ship to the UK.

I don't suppose you have a link or the name of the transformer you are using?

Thanks again

Sharky

I can confirm the same. I found that the pump on the lowest setting does little to create enough lift to get the bubbles up the neck of the skimmer. 2nd from lowest seems to be the best. I do notice that the pump makes a thump thump noise but I am starting to see some skimmate in the collection cup. The microbubbles don't see to be an issue today. I took the skimmer out and rinsed in in warmer water. Once I looked this morning I do not see any bubbles in the main display, but I did turn that output around which may have helped.

I have to say I am very pleased with the design.

good to hear bubbles are dissapating...currently i am at work so who knows what is going on with my tank at home. i had to turn off skimmer last night due to coral feeding.

Sapphire Aquatics

I put these diagrams together to help everyone see how the skimmers are intended to be set up. While the skimmers are not affected by fluctuating water levels, they will be the most efficient when set up as shown in the diagrams below. I hope that these diagrams help, and they will be included in every order from now on.

I also wanted to let everyone know that we are now set up to accept credit cards, Visa,Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.

I will also reply to all posts in the morning.

AP24diagram.jpg

BC29diagram.jpg

NC1224diagram.jpg

You can right click and save to your desktop if you would like a larger view of the diagrams.

Thanks everyone.

i just got a 12 gallon jbj custom from nano customs It has 72 watts and a 6500 fuge light. the fuge light covers chambers 1 and 2 and i want to grow chaeto and use live rock in the filter. So where does the skimmer fit into this picture?

Archived