Coral Vue Hydros

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

I put these diagrams together to help everyone see how the skimmers are intended to be set up. While the skimmers are not affected by fluctuating water levels, they will be the most efficient when set up as shown in the diagrams below. I hope that these diagrams help, and they will be included in every order from now on.

I also wanted to let everyone know that we are now set up to accept credit cards, Visa,Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.

I will also reply to all posts in the morning.

AP24diagram.jpg

BC29diagram.jpg

NC1224diagram.jpg

You can right click and save to your desktop if you would like a larger view of the diagrams.

Thanks everyone.

thanks for the pics kyle

im going to try moving to chamber 1 to reduce some of the bubbles

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sapphire Aquatics

coralcrazy - I have something in the works that is universal for small tanks. I am testing it now.

megan8719 - The "break in" period is dependant upon how stocked your tank is. The more livestock and more mature your tank the quicker the break in period. Some of my customers report that the skimmer releases no micro bubbles at all after only 12 hours, and some require as much as two or three weeks. What happens is that the skimmer develops a nice coating of protein inside the body and helps to keep the bubbles from being swept back in to the tank. The more protein in the water, the faster this happens.

sharkystar - I am happy to ship to the U.K. Here is a link to an inexpensive converter that has been working well for a few other customers in the U.K.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...teria=convertor

pete159 - You can still use the skimmer in the first chamber. The second chamber will hold your rubble and macro algae, and you will still have enough room to put one bag of chemical media above the return pump in chamber 3. Even with the collectiopn cup at the highest level it still does not reach the top of the false wall.

Mr Ha Ha - I hope that the diagram helps you. I have been wanting to do these for a while, it's just been hard to find the time.

megan8719 - The "break in" period is dependant upon how stocked your tank is. The more livestock and more mature your tank the quicker the break in period. Some of my customers report that the skimmer releases no micro bubbles at all after only 12 hours, and some require as much as two or three weeks. What happens is that the skimmer develops a nice coating of protein inside the body and helps to keep the bubbles from being swept back in to the tank. The more protein in the water, the faster this happens.

Thanks for the reply! That makes a lot of sense....I guess I will just have to wait.

Will any of the current models fit in an 8 gallon biocube? I've asked multiple times about an 8 gallon version.

anybody else have issues with the pump? mine just died after...4 days of use on the 2nd to lowest setting...just wondering

Sapphire Aquatics

beetlejuice - I am working on a small universal skimmer, but it is just now being tested. There are no plans to make a skimmer specifically designed for the BC8. I will kep you updated with the results from the small skimmer.

Mr Ha Ha - The pumps are covered under the warranty. This is the first time that I have heard of a pump failing like this. Please contact me at support@sapphireaquatics.com to resolve this issue.

I just wanted to say thank you kyle for replacing my pump and getting it done quickly. Other than chris from nano customs you are the only one that runs a good business imho.

The new pump is great, here is the skimate from my nc 12 skimmer in my NC 24g. Tank is lightly stocked for fish but plenty of corals.

post-21069-1165526910_thumb.jpg

Here is first hand proof take sapphire aquatics skimmer kicks $ss

I just wanted to say thank you kyle for replacing my pump and getting it done quickly. Other than chris from nano customs you are the only one that runs a good business imho.

The new pump is great, here is the skimate from my nc 12 skimmer in my NC 24g. Tank is lightly stocked for fish but plenty of corals.

post-21069-1165526910_thumb.jpg

Here is first hand proof take sapphire aquatics skimmer kicks $ss

That's awesome! Glad it's working well for you. Your fish must pee alot...

Man, why does everybody show the skimate in a shot glass? lol

cuz we're in "nano" reef. i need a glass for my skimmate from my deltec.

that skimmate looks like green tea.

received the nc12 today. nicely made, however i did not have a chance to test it out much as i have a custom overflow in my 20 gallon and i could not adjust the surface skimmer any where close to what it needs for skimmate. basically it is entirely full of water therefor not able to draw in any air. i will have to call nanotuners friday to see about a return and wait for the hang on back model to be built by sapphire.

Acutally i had the same problem in the begining but i slightly changed where the pump draws in air. I just ran a longer airline hose with the silencer (ajustable air flow) that comes in the box with a maxijet. It works great and makes the skimmer even quiter and you do not have to worry about the skimmer filled with water. I have place my nc12 skimmer in the chamber of my NC 24g

NC12 skimmer received today. I can't install the pump nozzle in to the bottom of the skimmer box. The hole diameter is too small. Is there a fitting missing?

I sent an email to SA's support address. Just posting here in the event Kyle sees this first.

Kyle - I called Chris and he thought it there was no fitting required between the pump and skimmer. I don't want to dremmel that hole until I know for sure!

I guess my tank will just have to wait. This is annoying though - I paid for FedEx to get this installed over the weekend. Now I'm SOL. :mellow:

Kyle - THANK YOU!! We were able to get the fitting inserted. Like I metioned, we didn't want to break anything by applying too much force.

We're installing it in the tank right now.

Thanks again - you truly provided great service :)

Okay, now I have been out of saltwater for about 10 years and looking to jump back in and I know this not precisely on topic so please treat me as a noob. I am thinking about getting a Oceanic Biocube 14. Now supposedly he is making a universal small protein skimmer that might possibly be used with this and that would be great for myself and others. My question is do I really need one? I will be having in the tank,

really good live rock 10#

live sand 1.5"

some really small crabs, anemone, etc

possibly a really small anemone if I can get past it crapping all the time

possibly a really small shrimp or two

featherduster

possibly other small inverts

probably a coral or two

And I am just going to let it grow. How much protein do these throw off? Is it possible to get some coral that might counteract this? Not trying to deny him a sale but I am wondering how much it is needed. Someone explain to the noob please. Thanks.

Okay, now I have been out of saltwater for about 10 years and looking to jump back in and I know this not precisely on topic so please treat me as a noob. I am thinking about getting a Oceanic Biocube 14. Now supposedly he is making a universal small protein skimmer that might possibly be used with this and that would be great for myself and others. My question is do I really need one? I will be having in the tank,

really good live rock 10#

live sand 1.5"

some really small crabs, anemone, etc

possibly a really small anemone if I can get past it crapping all the time

possibly a really small shrimp or two

featherduster

possibly other small inverts

probably a coral or two

And I am just going to let it grow. How much protein do these throw off? Is it possible to get some coral that might counteract this? Not trying to deny him a sale but I am wondering how much it is needed. Someone explain to the noob please. Thanks.

Hi bpeugh,

I too returned to the hobby after a few years. If you have the room for it I would highly recommend you go with planning for a Protein Skimmer in your setup.

I know many say that it removes the good with the bad, but I have always found that the benefits of skimming far outweigh the bad. Normal water changes will replace the trace elements anyway.

If you are anything like me and most aquarists the inclination is to add more and more bioload over time. Having a properly functioning protein skimmer can help provide a safety-net for a heavy bioload.

As an aside, I also think that it is very helpful to know all of that junk, gunk whatever you want to call it is being removed so your livestock doesn't have to struggle with it in their home. When you see what a skimmer pulls up even under low bioload in most cases you will be amazed!

Be carefull with that anemone, if it dies it can be a disaster in such a small tank.

Good Luck.

Well I guess it is now down to the protein skimmer and if a small universal one is to be made and put into production that would be great. But if not which of the 24s and the 29 would people suggest?

I got my nc12 skimmer today, i've had it set up for a few hours in the middle chamber with return flow facing left, I keep reading about the 'run in' period, how long does that last and would that be causing the microbubbles i'm getting?

beetlejuice - I am working on a small universal skimmer, but it is just now being tested. There are no plans to make a skimmer specifically designed for the BC8. I will kep you updated with the results from the small skimmer.

Mr Ha Ha - The pumps are covered under the warranty. This is the first time that I have heard of a pump failing like this. Please contact me at support@sapphireaquatics.com to resolve this issue.

kyle

got the replacement pump! thank you.

i placed the skimmer in chamber one and the thing is skimming like a champ with NO bubbles.

awesome!

I traded a friend some stuff and a $100 for a BioCube 14 with live rock and sand so I am wondering what the time window is looking like for releasing the universal small protein skimmer. Thanks.

I traded a friend some stuff and a $100 for a BioCube 14 with live rock and sand so I am wondering what the time window is looking like for releasing the universal small protein skimmer. Thanks.

I have a 14g BC and I use the NC12 Skimmer and it fits nicely into the 2nd chamber after some light trimming off the back lip of the tank.

post-23197-1166128146_thumb.jpg

hi all, i got my nc12 skimmer 4 days ago and i had it set up in the middle chamber with out flow facing left, i was getting lots of microbubbles so i read on here and from Kyle it was best to set up in the first chamber to eliminate microbubbles(although i 'm still getting a few). What i'm getting round to is how do you guys set up your sponge,purigen,rowaphos e.t.c. and where do you put the filter floss?i have 1 sponge,purigen,rowaphos,matrix, i used to have filter floss to but i'm at a loss as to where to place it as in the middle chamber the flow of water is pushed upwards rather than being pulled down. Also what height do you guys have the collection cup set at,its only pulling slightly yellowish water at the mo,how long did it take you to start pulling decent skimmate? don't know whether thats due to my light bioload. any how i'm interested to see how others have got round these issuses,

Thanks in advance,Mark

Archived