Pod Your Reef

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

I wish I had this skimmer when I first started my NC12...I recommend it for all NC12 owners. Here's a couple of pictures of the bubbles in the riser tube/collection cup.

Has it made a differece for your tank?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has it made a differece for your tank?

I do 3-4 gallon weekly water changes, so my water is clean to start with. My water is alot clearer now. Most of my shrooms and rics are splitting and look much bigger than before. Also my small patch of hair algae has slowed it's growth.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to just make one yourself?

Sapphire Aquatic's skimmers looks very professional and are very well made. If you're handy and have the right tools, then you can build one yourself. I don't have the time/skills/tools to make one myself. Even if I did, I don't think it will look/work half as good as Kyle's. I'd rather pay for something that "works" than to waste my time and build something that won't work or work as well. Compared to the nano skimmers(tunze/remora) out there, SA's skimmers are pretty cheap.

Sapphire Aquatic's skimmers looks very professional and are very well made. If you're handy and have the right tools, then you can build one yourself. I don't have the time/skills/tools to make one myself. Even if I did, I don't think it will look/work half as good as Kyle's. I'd rather pay for something that "works" than to waste my time and build something that won't work or work as well. Compared to the nano skimmers(tunze/remora) out there, SA's skimmers are pretty cheap.

I agree. I am very happy with mine.

I have a quick question? Since you do a great deal of water changes do you run the skimmer all of the time?Also do you dose anything and if you did would the skimmer pull it all out?

I have a quick question? Since you do a great deal of water changes do you run the skimmer all of the time?Also do you dose anything and if you did would the skimmer pull it all out?

Yes, the skimmer is running 24/7(to keep my tank well aerated). I dose B-ionic 1&2(1 everyday...and 2 a few times a week), strontium(weekly), magnesium(weekly), iodine(weekly), trace hard(several drops weekly), trace hard(severeal drops weekly). I've done so even before I've added the skimmer after every water change. I know that I shouldn't dose that much as I do weekly water changes, but I've been doing it for awhile now and the tank has been doing great, so why not? I honestly don't know if the skimmer is pulling out the traces or not.

I use the B-ionic 1 & 2 as well. I dose twice a week, Tues. and Fri., just to keep a simple schedule. I also do weekly water changes, about 5 gallons each time.

I just bought this skimmer for my 24g nano-cube. Im # 5 on the back order list so it might be awhile before I get it. I read alot about people doing their weekly water changes on here. But are these people checking there nitrate and phosphate levels weekly? And if so, do they really detect levels high enough to justify weekly water changes? I ask this question because I only do a water change ( 4 or 5 gallons) every 4 1/2 weeks or so. Thats how long it takes for my tank to get a detectable level of nitrates or phophates. And, with the help of this new skimmer, im hoping to extend the period between water changes.

I just bought this skimmer for my 24g nano-cube. Im # 5 on the back order list so it might be awhile before I get it. I read alot about people doing their weekly water changes on here. But are these people checking there nitrate and phosphate levels weekly? And if so, do they really detect levels high enough to justify weekly water changes? I ask this question because I only do a water change ( 4 or 5 gallons) every 4 1/2 weeks or so. Thats how long it takes for my tank to get a detectable level of nitrates or phophates. And, with the help of this new skimmer, im hoping to extend the period between water changes.

I test for nitrate/phosphate(salifert kits) once every 2-3 weeks. I have never had a problem with neither one. I really don't think it is wise to "wait" until there's a detectable amount of nitrate in order to do water changes. Avoiding it overall is best IMHO. If that works for you, then great! Whatever floats your boat :)

I plan to release an AP12 and AP24 version as soon as I can find the time to set up my jigs for production.

w00t!

any idea of a release date? i'd like to treat myself to an early christmas gift.. B)

Obsessed Reefer

OH man, I could really use one of these. One question, dont remember if I read it anywhere, will this fit in the first chamber of the 12 Gallon Nano Cube?

Jesse

Sapphire Aquatics

el_santo - Good news if you are looking for a skimmer for your AP12 I am almost certain that the NC12 will fit in the third chamber with no problems at all. I found someone locally and I am going to find out for certain tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed. If anyone out there is willing to send me some detailed measurements of the third chamber, including your water level, I can compare the measurements tonight.

The AP24 is in the works right now and you can expect it to be in the web store in less than two weeks.

jas0n - I am not certain since their website does not give any specific measurements. Let me know when you receive it and if one of my current models don't fit I can always custom make a skimmer for you.

peanut1917 - My pleasure. Thank You

Obsessed Reefer - The skimmer will fit in the first chamber allowing you to keep your refugium in the center chamber.

Will this skimmer fit in an 8 gallon BioCube?

If you email Kyle, I'm sure he'll have one custom made for you. It won't hurt to ask. www.sapphireaquatics.com

Kyle, great work. I am interested in a skimmer for AP12. I see that the skimmer is usually designed to be placed in the first chamber for the nanocubes.

I was wondering how far off are you in your design for the AP12. Please note that those of us with an ICA chiller unit in our AP12, we won't be able to fit the skimmer in the first chamber.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work. I can't wait to pre-order one for my AP12.

Kyle, great work. I am interested in a skimmer for AP12. I see that the skimmer is usually designed to be placed in the first chamber for the nanocubes.

I was wondering how far off are you in your design for the AP12. Please note that those of us with an ICA chiller unit in our AP12, we won't be able to fit the skimmer in the first chamber.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work. I can't wait to pre-order one for my AP12.

read the whole thread.

Why no plans for an AP12 version? WHY DO YOU DISCRIMINATE?!! AP owners everywhere demand answers.

What about us with the bicube (from oceanic) 8g?? hmmm????? :huh: lol

your systems look great, but i would love one for my 8g, hehe

"second chamber and run on a tiny 110 volt 5 amp pump"

wow 550 watts might heat the water up. you gonna sell a chiller with that?

hehehehe

he said volts...-_-

As for that, its good news, will it also work for the aqua pod?

Well, from the specs that Kyle put about the NC12skimmer, I figure it will work for my AP 12. Hence, I am biting the bullet and ordered one 2 days ago, hopefully it will get here today or tomorrow. As soon as I install it, and have it working I will put pics and stuff. Anything has to be better than the Current Fission (aka waste of money). I'll keep you guys informed.

I'll keep you guys informed.

cool, yea please keep us informed how it fits. are you going to try to put it into the 3rd chamber? i've got my heater in there and will have to do some moving around.. hrmm.. :huh:

Archived