ReefCleaners.org

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
beyondtheblue

I just ordered one for my nc24. I am glad there is a skimmer for non-halide closed top nano-cubes beside the dreaded fussion. I too will post pics if they show major waste production.

No photos on the website of the NC12, looks like they're all out of stock too. When will you have more?

Will order one too! Please let us know when more are available...

Cheers!

Looks great! Hey, with the skimmer in the 2nd chamber of the nanocube 24 is there any room left for chaeto?

I would say very little. I wll put the chaeto in the first chamber when completed.

The AP24 version extends above the top wall but it does not require modification of the hood...correct?

What's the latest on the AP24 version? Will it be released this week? fingerscrossed

I got my 12gal version Saturday thanks to Kyle and so far here are my thoughts, first the unit seems wll made and fits easily into the second chamber. I spent alot of time after setting it up getting the water level set in the back chambers and messing with the collection cup height. When I woke up in the morn and checked the collection cup I had about half the cup filled with a pale yellow water, not the nasty foamy tea you see from other skimmers. I am not sure if I got this result from not having the collection cup set right or if my bio-load is not big enough to warrant the nasty skimmate. Before I started skimming my nitrates were already 0 with just my clown,goby and assorted inverts and corals, so since this is my first skimmer I am not sure if that was reason my skimmate wasn't real nasty. Hopefully my results so far are just normal for the skimmer to break in, if I have one bad thing to say is that I can hear the skimmer, it is making a vibrating gurgiling sound. I run topless so I can hear it pretty good, but for someone who has their top on it may not be audible. I will keep updates on my experiance with the skimmer and to anyone else who is using the same skimmer please post your results and/or any tips.

K, here's the skimmate after the break-in period. About 12 hours after breaking in.

Light tea color...I might have to raise the collection cup a little more.

post-21254-1160438203_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1160438220_thumb.jpg

Sapphire Aquatics

kevangogh & SALINITY - I will have more stock available this weekend. I am trying to update the webstore with new pictures and products.

junkitu - The AP24 should be ready soon. I'm still working out the details on it.

peanut1917 - Looking good! Not bad for your first nigt of skimming. Sweet tank too.

Here is the latest prototype of the BC29. Don't get too excited yet. I made it out of clear acrylic so you can see the baffles and design more clearly. I am also looking at some other pump selections since the Biocube has so much room in the back. Maybe a needle wheel impellor too.

BC29.jpg

BC29.jpg

I have taken the pictures down until the design is finalized.

The collection cup sets in to the chamber on the right, and the water exits at the bottom on this model to prevent splashing inside the rear chamber.

Is anyone using the wet/dry set up in the center chamber?

That sounds good, Kyle, for us Biocubers. As far as I know, not many are using the wet/dry setup, I know I'm not. HTH!

P.S. I can't see the pics of the proto, can you try it again?

Can somebody display some pics. or write a review of the skimmer after it has been through the break-in period? I have been following this thread, hoping to see some sort of info. on if it has worked well or not.

gouldaz, Kyle is still working on the prototype now. The model for the Biocube is not out yet. That's why you haven't seen anything on it yet. I'm sure once it comes out and people use it, you will start to see reviews on it.

a little reading goes a long way

Let see here fatex9.....did I ever mention I wanted to see pictures of the Biocube version? Thanks for the comment anyways.

Maybe by my post and after reading the whole thread (which I have), you would see that several people have ordered and are using the NC version. I would like somebody that is using the NC version, to post some pictures and/or reviews of their experience with it after going through the break in period. Sorry I did not spell it out this clearly.

K, here's the skimmate after the break-in period. About 12 hours after breaking in.

Light tea color...I might have to raise the collection cup a little more.

Peanut posted pictures after 12 hours.

Peanut posted pictures after 12 hours.

Sounds like from PEanut's comment that he still needed to adjust the skimmer cup and that he was still trying to optimize the skimmer's performance. Any other reviews on the skimmer?

Sounds like from PEanut's comment that he still needed to adjust the skimmer cup and that he was still trying to optimize the skimmer's performance. Any other reviews on the skimmer?

Kyle is all about customer service. After the break-in period for me I am very happy with it. My first skimmate was just like Peanuts. I adjusted my cup higher and produced a very dry skimmate, I had a 1/2 cup full of thick foam, I just adjusted mine down to make it a little more wet. The only problem I have is it is a little noisy, but FMU most skimmers produce noise. I will post pictures tonight if the adjustment went well.

*edit* my water appears cleaner

Kyle is all about customer service. After the break-in period for me I am very happy with it. My first skimmate was just like Peanuts. I adjusted my cup higher and produced a very dry skimmate, I had a 1/2 cup full of thick foam, I just adjusted mine down to make it a little more wet. The only problem I have is it is a little noisy, but FMU most skimmers produce noise. I will post pictures tonight if the adjustment went well.

*edit* my water appears cleaner

Reefin or Peanut - Any problem with micro bubbles? Mine has been running on NC24 for about 48hrs. Nice skimmate but holy microbubbles Batman. I'm a newbie so I could be adjusting something, anything, everything wrong.

Reefin or Peanut - Any problem with micro bubbles? Mine has been running on NC24 for about 48hrs. Nice skimmate but holy microbubbles Batman. I'm a newbie so I could be adjusting something, anything, everything wrong.

I had micro bubbles the first 24 hours but have since dissipated. I do have my pump in the lowest setting though, what setting do you have your pump on? Is your water level set correctly, or where is it? How long has it been in service for?

I had micro bubbles the first 24 hours but have since dissipated. I do have my pump in the lowest setting though, what setting do you have your pump on? Is your water level set correctly, or where is it? How long has it been in service for?

I have it set 1 notch up from the lowest setting. I am going to lower it to the lowest and see what happens. It's been running about 48hrs. Water level in the second chamber is about 1 inch below the sealed chamber (non cup side). If the water gets mutch higher I do not get internal bubbles. I am hoping that the micro bubbles disipate over the next 24 hrs. While I also find the unit a little loud it is skimming like a champ. 1st day yellow tea water - second day thicker foam.

I have it set 1 notch up from the lowest setting. I am going to lower it to the lowest and see what happens. It's been running about 48hrs. Water level in the second chamber is about 1 inch below the sealed chamber (non cup side). If the water gets mutch higher I do not get internal bubbles. I am hoping that the micro bubbles disipate over the next 24 hrs. While I also find the unit a little loud it is skimming like a champ. 1st day yellow tea water - second day thicker foam.

The partition has a slot about half way up allowing water to flow from the second to the third chamber, my water level is about even with the slot. I don't know if that would make a difference. FME The lower the water level the more bubble production I get. Maybe another day or two will reduce the bubbles as well.

*edit* it was confusing, sorry

My skimmer is in the first chamber, and the output is also to the left side, so I have no micro-bubbles. I don't have any nose issues(you might want to check the elbow connected to the pump...I filed mines down a little). I'm getting medium color skimmate, but that might be due to the weekly 4 gallon water change. I've just raised the colection cup a little more...we'll see how that goes. I'll report back soon.

Archived