Pod Your Reef

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

Good news Aquapod fans, I have resolved the clearance issues and I expect to have the AP24 nano skimmer available within the next week or so.

Also, for those of you that have the Sunpod HQI, the 18" Hang on Refugium fits perfectly with absolutely no modifications to the fuge or the tank. Now you can have a fuge, skimmer, chemical media and run a reverse photoperiod with no modifications to your tank at all, just plug and play. Keep an eye out for an upgraded refugium, thanks to Nanotuners, in the coming weeks.

Kyle

Hi Kyle, have you had any luck with the AP12 clearance issues?

Thanks!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of getting one of these to run on my NC24. Anyone running one want to say anything about how it works? Good, awesome, just ok? I'm running one of those Fission POS, gotta get something else.

Will this skimmer fit on a newer '06 nano cube? I have a 24g with the k-2 viper and the glass top.

where did u get the glass top for your tank?? I have a 12g NC with same viper light setup.

where did u get the glass top for your tank?? I have a 12g NC with same viper light setup.

I called JBJ and bought one. Apparently they make them. I dunno about the 12g though. The 24g NC glass top was $20 bucks, tax and shipping was about another $10.

I called JBJ and bought one. Apparently they make them. I dunno about the 12g though. The 24g NC glass top was $20 bucks, tax and shipping was about another $10.

THANKS!!! i will check into it! :D

With the skimmer in chamber 1 or 2, how are some of you setting up the rest of the chambers for filtration ?? and is the skimmer the only thing that will fit in the chamber??

Just bought one from Nanotuners. I'll post a review for anyone contemplating a purchase.

I just hope it works better than the Fission. But really, how could it not?

Just bought one from Nanotuners. I'll post a review for anyone contemplating a purchase.

I just hope it works better than the Fission. But really, how could it not?

You won't be dissapointed.

please make one for the AQUAPOD 12 GALLON!

Ditto!

Sapphire Aquatics

havenhurst1 - I don't see why it wouldn't fit. The rear chambers are the same dimensions, so it should still drop right in.

IronSnake & hannahs - I am working on figuring out how to relocate the return pump in the fourth chamber of the AP12. If I can get the pump to fit under the false floor then the NC12 nanoskimmer will drop in right where the return pump now sits. I'll figure it out soon and let you know.

More good news for Ap24 owners. I built the final prototype of the AP24 skimmer tonight and I will begin testing it tomorrow. It is 1" taller than the NC24 model and the return is at the bottom and completely submerged so there is no splashing. I expect to have the skimmer available in the next two weeks.

ap24.jpg

With the collection cup mod...this is what I collected in 24 hours, which is usually what I would get in 2-3 days w/o the mod. :D The collection cup was scuffed up during modification. :unsure:

post-21254-1164182641_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1164182678_thumb.jpg

. Keep an eye out for an upgraded refugium, thanks to Nanotuners, in the coming weeks.

Kyle

Whats going to be the difference with the one you have now?? If so I would rather wait till your upgraded refugium is completed.

AP 24

Thanks,

raymond

Sapphire Aquatics

Raymond - Nanotuners is working on a high intensity LED light fixture that will not add any more heat to your tank. The light runs on only 12 volts so you use less energy. The adjustable pumps are 110 volt, but they only draw .08 amps. Together with the Nanotuners light, the refugium uses very little energy and gives you all of the benefits of a traditional sump/refugium placed below the tank.

Arrrgh! I hate Fed Ex! They left a door tag today saying the new protein skimmer was dropped off at the leasing office of our apartment complex. I was so excited! At the office-- no package! What's up with these guys?! The only two times in the world I've used Fed Ex, they deliver the package to the wrong address and then this time, the driver leaves without dropping my package at the office! Now I won't get it until Tuesday because Fed Ex doesn't deliver on Sunday (o.k., sunday, that's fine) or Monday (what?! Who doesn't deliver on monday? ).

Tuesday's not the end of the world, but I sure hate being teased.

never had run an skimmer b4, my question concerns the height of the water in the tank/sump. after viewing the pictures on sapphire aquatics site of the skimmers, why would the water level height (he suggest using the cassette type skimmer for adjustment) be a issue when the protein skimmer draws in its water from the pump on the bottom and expells it from the holes about half way on the side if the skimmer? would'nt it not matter just as long as the pump itself is immersed in sufficiant water? my plan was to use the nc12 directly in my 20 gallon instead of my custom internal sump, which i like using for carbon and dripping kalkwasser into.

Sapphire Aquatics

compulou - It will be a few weeks before I have hang on model. There are so many on the market right now that I want to make something very different. My HOB skimmer will just that, very different.

dga - The cassette skimmer is necessary because the teeth on the false wall are cut so low that without using the cassette skimmer the water level in the display is about an inch below the top trim. You can top it off but then the water levels rise in the rear compartments and drown the skimmer. The cassette skimmer keeps the water in the disply and the rear chambers at the right height. A simple adjustable bracket turns the skimmer in to a "hang in" model. Let me know.

bio^3 - Correct, anything more than 9" of water and the skimmer is submerged, less than 1.5" of water and the pump will run dry.

Undertheradar

I found a way around that. The model I made was for the NC12, and is a full recirculating skimmer, so the water level can be controlled independent of the mixing pump. It also allows me to use a MJ400 for the mixing pump...meaning much more air than a single pass skimmer.

Archived