Cultivated Reef

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a NC12 on Jan 1st. Got it before the price hike! B) Looks like it shipped yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it by Sat. I can hardly wait! :D I've been waiting for a good skimmer option for the NC12 for 3 years now! I hope it's as good as everyone claims....

-Chris

FedEx, says mine should be here the 6th, saturday, do they deliver on saturday?

Yeah they do i have gotten a lot of stuff on saturday UPS doesn't though.

FedEx, says mine should be here the 6th, saturday, do they deliver on saturday?

yea mine is coming on saturday also. fedex delivers on saturdays i know because i got my 24g AP and my live rock and both were on saturdays.

Fishlippedit

My skimmer for the AP24 is still just showing info transmitted to Fed Ex but without a delivery date. I even checked this morning. I ordered mine on Dec the 30th. I don't live to far from you sjm1978 so hopefully I will get mine soon too. When did you order yours? Also it states on Nanotuners website that modification to the collection cup height is required (I would assume to get the lid to close) was that on earlier models or is there mods that need to be done? I'm not seeing to much info on the AP24 model. If mods are needed where can I find out how to do them? I really dont want to break my new skimmer in order to fit it in a tank it's specifically designed for. Help please. Thanks. I e-mailed Nano-Tuners with that question without any reply.

Here's another question. Do the AquaPod 24's that come with the 150watt HQI lighting even have lids over the back sections of the tanks anyway? I know they dont have lids over the main sections where the light hangs over. So maybe the mods are only for the AP's that have the PC lighting?! In case you can't tell I'm waiting for shipment of my new tank too. Thanks in advance.

Sapphire Aquatics
My skimmer for the AP24 is still just showing info transmitted to Fed Ex but without a delivery date. I even checked this morning. I ordered mine on Dec the 30th. I don't live to far from you sjm1978 so hopefully I will get mine soon too. When did you order yours? Also it states on Nanotuners website that modification to the collection cup height is required (I would assume to get the lid to close) was that on earlier models or is there mods that need to be done? I'm not seeing to much info on the AP24 model. If mods are needed where can I find out how to do them? I really dont want to break my new skimmer in order to fit it in a tank it's specifically designed for. Help please. Thanks. I e-mailed Nano-Tuners with that question without any reply.

Here's another question. Do the AquaPod 24's that come with the 150watt HQI lighting even have lids over the back sections of the tanks anyway? I know they dont have lids over the main sections where the light hangs over. So maybe the mods are only for the AP's that have the PC lighting?! In case you can't tell I'm waiting for shipment of my new tank too. Thanks in advance.

There is no modification needed. You will need to adjust the height of the cup, which is easily done with the supplied o-ring, to dial in the desired dry foam.

does anyone know what pump brand comes with the AP24 skimmer?

i bought mine on dec 25th but it didnt ship out till jan 3 because he was waiting for the pumps.

I picked up my NC12 this morning and got it running. Just to let everyone know, I have a JBJ Naocube 12 OG (Original). This model has 4 chambers in the back that are all connected (I have no idea why JBJ did this). The NC12 does not fit into the 1st or 2nd chamber due to ribbing about midway down in the chamber. I had to place it in the 3rd chamber with the 1/2 wall. The return pump is in the 4th chamber on the other side of the 1/2 wall. So far I don't seem to have any microbubble problems....

I picked up my NC12 this morning and got it running. Just to let everyone know, I have a JBJ Naocube 12 OG (Original). This model has 4 chambers in the back that are all connected (I have no idea why JBJ did this). The NC12 does not fit into the 1st or 2nd chamber due to ribbing about midway down in the chamber. I had to place it in the 3rd chamber with the 1/2 wall. The return pump is in the 4th chamber on the other side of the 1/2 wall. So far I don't seem to have any microbubble problems....

I take one thing back that I said...I didn't have a microbubble problem when I first installed. after about 20 minutes I started getting a ton of microbubbles. I then raised the water in the "sump" by adding some water to the tank. They went down slightly and after a few hours of running are starting to decrease. Hopefully they'll go to zero in the next few days.

AP24 Skimmer - anyone know the "proper" height to adjust the cup? I've not had a skimmer before, just go this one in. Have everything adjusted, can see the "small" bubbles from the airstone...but after half a day can't get anything to climb up into the collection cup - pretty much just flat slightly fizzy clear / clean water in the collection cup receptacle, and nothing in the cup. Do you place the cup bottom just above the water level / down into the water? How long before I should expect to be seeing this generate "bubbles"? If this is working, should I see large bubbles forming inside the baffles? The airstone action seems more limited than I would expect, and if I lower the sump level below the mid-baffle crossfeed, I get a lot of air bubbles - but then can't feed my pumps in the left chamber. Any comments would be appreciated.

AP24 Skimmer - anyone know the "proper" height to adjust the cup? I've not had a skimmer before, just go this one in. Have everything adjusted, can see the "small" bubbles from the airstone...but after half a day can't get anything to climb up into the collection cup - pretty much just flat slightly fizzy clear / clean water in the collection cup receptacle, and nothing in the cup. Do you place the cup bottom just above the water level / down into the water? How long before I should expect to be seeing this generate "bubbles"? If this is working, should I see large bubbles forming inside the baffles? The airstone action seems more limited than I would expect, and if I lower the sump level below the mid-baffle crossfeed, I get a lot of air bubbles - but then can't feed my pumps in the left chamber. Any comments would be appreciated.

skimmers take a few days to breakin. i just installed mine today also i have 2 maxi-jet 900's in chamber 2. i have my water level in the back chamber like the paper showed. the skimmer pump is at full power i have the colection cup pretty high. no skimming yet just installed it about 1 hour ago. i got tons of micro bubbles rightnow and because the water level has to be ran so low in the back chamber i have water splashing noise really annoying. my aquapod is topless so tomorrow im gonna make a stand out of eggcrate to raise the skimmer up about 4-5 inches so i can then raise my water level in the back chamber so the water splashing isnt so loud. also i will be able to see the collection cup by just looking over at the tank.i also might change the pump to a maxi-jet 400 and do a needle wheel mod on it.

heres some pics

i had to turn the bulkhead around that was for the mj900 in chamber 1 to make room for the skimmer. i also had to run vinyl hose to chamber 2 so the second mj900 can go in chamber 2 instead instead of chamber 1 the hose is alittle long ill fix that tomorrow.

100_0252Small.jpg

100_0253Small.jpg

100_0250Small.jpg

UABOPTREEFTANK

Oh wow.... $40 increase on the NC24 skimmer.... you've definetly lost my sale for good! Any particular reason for a $40 increase???? I could see maybe $10 or even $15 if you had to switch to a different manufacturer for the pump, acrylic, etc.... but there's no explanation for a $40 increase...

This is going to drive a lot of people (well at least me) to mod the hood and go with something like a Seaclone 100 which was competitive with the OLD price of the sapphire nc24 skimmer! I had DEFINETLY planned on ordering this skimmer come the 1st of next month.... oh well is I guess all I can say!

ok i was reading through this thread tonight. i noticed most of you were setting the pump on the second flow setting. i didnt bother to read the instructions that came with my skimmer. but i have now and i just removed my skimmer to set the pump on a lower setting. i also did what the instructions said to do put it in the main display and test it. i did that and the bubbles were flowing nice and consistently and it was producing bearly any micro bubbles back into the tank. i also lifted the skimmer up to see how high i can lift it and it still perform good. the reason i did that was because in the morning im gonna make a stand to raise the skimmer up so i can bring the water level up higher in my back chamber so i dont have to hear the annoying water splashing noise. i figure im gonna raise the skimmer about 3-4" up past the trim my tank is topless and that should allow me to raise the water up to where i use to run it before i had the skimmer. my tank use to be dead silent only time i had splashing noise was when the water would evap some. when the pump was set on the highest setting it wasent producing a constant stream of bubbles and it was really loud but now its nice and quiet. i will see how much skim i wake upto in the morning might not be much since my water change was done right before i installed the skimmer. sofar im happy with this skimmer. i use to have a coralife css 60g model it skimmed really good but if the water level dropped from evap it would stop skimming and the adjustment was really sensitive.

ok i was reading through this thread tonight. i noticed most of you were setting the pump on the second flow setting.

OK, I adjusted the flow on the pump back one click, and can maintain a sump level at midway up the sump baffle. The system is fizzing like a pop bottle below the collection cup. I cut up some of the blue sponge and used that to anchor the skimmer out of any flow from the sump skimmer intake/grates - no longer splashes on the skimmer. I'm going to leave it alone for now until I get some skimmate to produce, and once I'm satsified I've figured this out, then I'll raise it up on a stand to allow me to raise the sump level and reduce the waterfall sound. I've a 150W HQI "topless" AP24 so don't care if it shows or not. My adjustments are a likely more than what is usually required because I have an MJ1200 and an MJ400 plumbed in the left sump compartment, and run a bag of chemipure in the 1st compartment (with skimmer). This means that flow is restricted by the bag and the pumps can really empty the sump. I had to cut down the blocking plate for the intake grate to allow for a bit more flow - but have it now working as intended by the designer :D . I'll post back once I have this chugging and producing - need to leave the tank alone now ;) !

ok i made the stand for my skimmer out of eggcrate i started out at 6" and it was to tall so i cut it down to 4". i then brought my water level up in the back chamber to where i use to run it before the skimmer its nice and quiet now no splashing or anything all i here is the fan on my current usa light. the skimmer is still not broke in but thats my fault as i kept messing with it. the water splashing noise lastnight was annoying i got like 4 hours of sleep. this morning i also tried a mj900 PH on the skimmer but it was to powerful. i will see how this pump does on skimmate and if i dont like the results ill buy a mj400 and do the needle wheel mod. also the micro bubbles arnt to bad ill give it time to break in and if there is still micro bubbles ill put some floss in the second chamber before both mj900's. i will post pics later.

any updated pics????

not yet ill post some later or tomorrow. it hasent really produced any skimmate yet because the pumps impeller wasent spining right to create a nice steady stream of air it was pulsing. so i contacted Kyle and he told me how to fix it. now it seems to be working alot better ill post pics once it produces some skim.

Oh wow.... $40 increase on the NC24 skimmer.... you've definetly lost my sale for good! Any particular reason for a $40 increase???? I could see maybe $10 or even $15 if you had to switch to a different manufacturer for the pump, acrylic, etc.... but there's no explanation for a $40 increase...

This is going to drive a lot of people (well at least me) to mod the hood and go with something like a Seaclone 100 which was competitive with the OLD price of the sapphire nc24 skimmer! I had DEFINETLY planned on ordering this skimmer come the 1st of next month.... oh well is I guess all I can say!

he is right.is like you just bought a toyota for 13000$ today and tommorow the price is 20.000

Archived