Coral Vue Hydros

Nano reef contest notification

seabass

2 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Thanks Seabass,  I am thinking about taking half of the width off the shelf.  So that would leave it about 17x3x5  if my husband can enclose it.  Hoping that would take me down enough volume to put an aqua clear 70 on it.  I am just trying to figure out of that puts the total in the contest limits.

Oh, I assumed the shelf was only 8" long.   With it being 17" long, the glass itself can affect the volume capacity.  According to the online tank volume calculator a ¼" sheet of glass that's 17" x 5" and sealed to the inside of the tank, is enough to reduce your tank's volume by 0.1 of a gallon (qualifying it for the contest).

Sealing off 1.75" under a 17" long shelf (that is 5" high) would reduce the volume by 0.64 gallons (putting it just under 9 gallons).  And a sealed 17" x 3" x 5" box would reduce the volume capacity by 1.1 gallons (making your tank 8.5 gallons, which I believe leaves plenty of capacity for an AquaClear 70). 👍

A strong word of caution about glass vessels of any sort. Applying a foam backing/base to them is a very good idea. ANY pressure points on glass, especially Chinese made glass is a recipe for disaster. I know many of the supporters of Nano-Reefs sell the foam as we use it on all of our tanks that have no plastic bottom frame.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I think I will use my 9.6 gallon tank and add in two acrylic display cases that total 16.2x 3.5x3.75  That should put me at less than 9.19 gallons if I use a half gallon Aqua Clear 70 HOB.  Would this amount of water still be ok for this contest?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

That should put me at less than 9.19 gallons if I use a half gallon Aqua Clear 70 HOB.  Would this amount of water still be ok for this contest?

Yes, 9.19 gallons of total saltwater capacity is fine. 👍  Just make sure that you seal these boxes to your tank.  But attaching acrylic to glass doesn't usually go very well (and they'd want to float).  You might be better off using glass panels and silicone to secure them.  A glass shop should be able to provide you with cut panels if you are uncomfortable with cutting your own.

I don't know what you are planning, so I'm not exactly sure how to advise you.  I imagine that some people will go completely without filters, or will use internal filters.  If you went this route, you could qualify by attaching a 15 x 8" quarter inch think glass panel to the bottom (0.13 gallons).  It'd be covered with sand, and you'd have no idea it was even there.  You could even use an acrylic panel, as it wouldn't be holding air, so wouldn't want to float.

My husband is going to use silicone to seal them shut.  We will fill them with rock and sand out of the yard first.  I definitely do not want any water to get in and out of that container.  It would become a nitrate factory if it did.

2 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Wait if I use a HOb filter it counts as the Volume of water? Damn I wanted to use a tidal 110

1. Entries can be any system capable of holding a total volume of water between 5 and 9 gallons [US, liquid]*, including: any tank or multiple tanks, or any container or containers, with any filter(s), sump, closed loop, etc.
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Wait if I use a HOb filter it counts as the Volume of water?

Yep.

1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Damn I wanted to use a tidal 110

img.jpg

• Haha 1

These questions haven't been asked yet, but I thought I'd address them before the official start of the contest.

Q) After already starting a contest entry, can I change my mind and pick another tank/container?

A) You can change your entry BEFORE Wednesday December 1, 2021, by taking another entry pic, and having a journal thread for it with the 9to5 tag.

Q) What if my entry breaks during the contest; can I start a new one on or after December 1st?

A) You can replace the tank or container with an identical tank or container.  However, after November 30th, you cannot change your entry to something completely different.

Q) During the contest, can I change my sump, lighting, pumps, filter, etc?

A) As long as the total saltwater volume stays within the 9 to 5 gallon range (rounded to the nearest US gallon), you can add, remove, or change anything besides your display tank/container.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

DO IT

I am thinking about what to use, it needs to be slick and fit into the kitchen design. So won't be a £20 bucket... Then power needs to be thought about... No cables running around the place..

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Kind of overboard on the sump. Maybe cut it down to a 4.

But then I can't say my sump is 8x larger than the display. There's probably only a handful of people in the world that can say that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
13 hours ago, PeterU said:

It's available with a stainless spigot as well.

Stainless would be 100% better (but even stainless can rust in saltwater).

15 hours ago, Murphych said:

No cables running around the place..

Instead of the spigot, I was kind thinking about a PVC pipe and UNISEAL bulkhead to run the cables through the opening.  You could cut the plugs off of the heater and pump and run them through the PVC pipe, then fill the pipe full of silicone to make it watertight, and install the pipe through the bulkhead.  Finally, reattach the plug with an electrical connector extender or new plug (customizing the cord lengths to keep it nice an clean looking).  Or even a waterproof junction box of some sort; maybe like the following:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HsgAAOSwCHZawiYo/s-l500.jpg

Electricity and water don't mix.  I'm not a electrician, so consider these possibilities accordingly.

• Like 3