inTank Media Baskets

Nano reef contest notification

seabass

9 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Such a cute goby! 🥰

Those guys ROCK!! Peaceful, live a LOOOOONG time and spawn readily in captivity. M had 2, one lived up in the rocks, Upstairs goby and one that lived under the rocks, Downstairs goby, lol. Downstairs lived to the ripe old age of 4 and just passed about a year ago. I think if they were super colourful, someone would offer them commercially.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Omg this fish 😍 your tank is gonna be awesome... You could do a galaxy style background too to match your theme.

Captive bred Starry Gobies are available from Live Aquaria: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1500+5143+7260&pcatid=7260

I love that idea of a galaxy background!  That's Perfect!

Although, I'm not sure what I'll be doing yet.  I'm just throwing ideas out there, trying to give people a few ideas and/or inspiration.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Your ideas are very much welcome input but for me it's still coming down to what I can afford on my retirement income.

Haven't made a final decision yet as I am still looking at options. Any tank I start I also want to have long term.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, PeterU said:

Any tank I start I also want to have long term.

I really like that.  I hope a lot of people keep these tanks (and their journals) going.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, StinkyBunny said:

I'll tell you what would be a really cool display is a tall tank, deep sand bed with a pair of shrimp gobies with their commensal shrimp.

You don't need a deep sandbed for pistol shrimp. An inch will do just fine for a candycane pistol, and a tiger pistol really only needs a couple inches. They don't go down, they just burrow outward underneath rockwork. Really what they need is just a big handful of little broken shell bits they can easily build with, and a few larger shells. 

• Like 1

This Crate&Barrel vase is kind of intriguing.  It doesn't specify how many gallons it is, but I estimate it to be at least 5 gallons. 

OversizedGlassVaseAVSSF21.jpg  CB_F21_FD_7_102_Det_226.jpg

Overall Dimensions

Width: 15.74"

Depth: 15.74"

Height: 15.74"

Note: A sphere with a diameter of 13" is just over 1150 cubic inches (or 5 gallons).

5gallon_sphere.jpg.6c2ee945b5dd7699a337e1978ec446c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, Tired said:

Is it thick enough to hold water, though? It looks awfully thin. Be a real shame for it to shatter everywhere. 

That would suck.  I couldn't say for sure.  But it doesn't seem all that bad to me (and no seams to break).  Although I probably wouldn't put a Peacock Mantis in there.

OversizedGlassVaseROF21.jpg

The site claims that it's "Watertight" and a reviewer describes it as "solid" (four out of four, 5-star ratings).

• Haha 2

Maybe with a cool (extra wide) metal pendant shade above it.

https://th.bing.com/th?id=OP.o1aKPvFSx/jG6w474C474&w=300&h=300&o=5&pid=21.1

OversizedGlassVaseAVSSF21.jpg

or an industrial desk lamp:

61jA2DHBHJL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Note: You'd need to remove that shade from the desk lamp to allow adequate ventilation for a PAR38 LED bulb (which needs air flow, as they get hot).  The first shade provides more room, and might be alright.

• Like 2

I think I want to do this.  I have an Up Aqua 9.6 gallon tank.  My husband added a shelf about 5 inches from the bottom that covers about 3/4s of the tanks width.  It is kinda dirty and has a lot of ugly zoas in it.

I have been thinking about dumping it in to my 75 gallon and starting over.  I would need to figure how much area to seal off under the shelf to make it 9 gallons.  I could take the shelf out and make a box to take out tank volume.

It is not an option to buy or start another tank, but starting over sounds fun.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I think I want to do this.  I have an Up Aqua 9.6 gallon tank.  My husband added a shelf about 5 inches from the bottom that covers about 3/4s of the tanks width...  I would need to figure how much area to seal off under the shelf to make it 9 gallons.

In theory, it wouldn't take much.  Since we're rounding to the nearest gallon, you could seal off as little as a tenth of a gallon (or just 0.6" under an 8" shelf, that's 5" high).  But I appreciate you wanting to make it 9 gallons.

Since your tank is 17.75″ x 10.7″ x 11.9″, three fourths of its width would be 8" long.  So according to an online tank volume calculator, you'd have to seal off 3.5" under an 8" shelf (making a box of 8" x 3.5" x 5") to equal 0.61 gallons.

Plugging your tank's dimensions into the calculator, I get 9.78 gallons.  However, I assume these are the outside dimensions, and the actual capacity of the tank is less (9.6 gallons).

• Like 2

Thanks Seabass,  I am thinking about taking half of the width off the shelf.  So that would leave it about 17x3x5  if my husband can enclose it.  Hoping that would take me down enough volume to put an aqua clear 70 on it.  I am just trying to figure out of that puts the total in the contest limits.

• Like 1