Coral Vue Hydros

Nano reef contest notification

seabass

7 hours ago, seabass said:

Stainless would be 100% better (but even stainless can rust in saltwater).

Instead of the spigot, I was kind thinking about a PVC pipe and UNISEAL bulkhead to run the cables through the opening.  You could cut the plugs off of the heater and pump and run them through the PVC pipe, then fill the pipe full of silicone to make it watertight, and install the pipe through the bulkhead.  Finally, reattach the plug with an electrical connector extender or new plug (customizing the cord lengths to keep it nice an clean looking).  Or even a waterproof junction box of some sort; maybe like the following:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HsgAAOSwCHZawiYo/s-l500.jpg

Electricity and water don't mix.  I'm not a electrician, so consider these possibilities accordingly.

The spigot that came in mine is stainless, I think, with plastic. It has been running over a year for my pod culture, though I haven’t had any pods in it because I lost my momentum during the lockdown. The spigot does make for easy water changes. 

1C351FB0-65B1-466F-80C0-0F8716B2083A.thumb.jpeg.08de91738aeeb7adc58d505d4a309844.jpeg

6DE07DED-000E-466D-B584-9CFA32918129.thumb.jpeg.2fb323d4da3731128d66df9898510492.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You've specified that you will allow rounding for gallons in a tank. Are you going by advertised capacity or actual capacity? (I don't believe IM Nuvo 10 will actually hold 10 gallons of water)

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

You've specified that you will allow rounding for gallons in a tank. Are you going by advertised capacity or actual capacity? (I don't believe IM Nuvo 10 will actually hold 10 gallons of water)

I assume that most stated capacities are rounded by the manufacturer in some way or another; that's one of the reasons why we are also rounding.  You can use the capacity that is stated (which is probably the easiest), or you can use this Tank Volume Calculator if you prefer.  We won't require people to determine the actual volumes by filling their setups with measured amounts of water, but you are welcome to do so if you wish.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2021 at 4:05 PM, seabass said:

These questions haven't been asked yet, but I thought I'd address them before the official start of the contest.

Q) After already starting a contest entry, can I change my mind and pick another tank/container?

A) You can change your entry BEFORE Wednesday December 1, 2021, by taking another entry pic, and having a journal thread for it with the 9to5 tag.

Q) What if my entry breaks during the contest; can I start a new one on or after December 1st?

A) You can replace the tank or container with an identical tank or container.  However, after November 30th, you cannot change your entry to something completely different.

Q) During the contest, can I change my sump, lighting, pumps, filter, etc?

A) As long as the total saltwater volume stays within the 9 to 5 gallon range (rounded to the nearest US gallon), you can add, remove, or change anything besides your display tank/container.

if-uaa-could-stop-having-so-many-rules-t

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I assume that most stated capacities are rounded by the manufacturer in some way or another; that's one of the reasons why we are also rounding.  You can use the capacity that is stated (which is probably the easiest), or you can use this Tank Volume Calculator if you prefer.  We won't require people to determine the actual volumes by filling their setups with measured amounts of water, but you are welcome to do so if you wish.

Was just wondering. It's a tank that's easy to get and many people even already have them. I believe without equipment, sand, or rock, it holds close to 8 gallons. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Was just wondering. It's a tank that's easy to get and many people even already have them. I believe without equipment, sand, or rock, it holds close to 8 gallons. 

Outer dimensions put it at about 9.96 gallons so I'm guessing the inner dimension still have it over 9.5 gallons.

The inner dimensions of my 10 gallon standard put it at 9.67 gallons.

26 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

14 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Outer dimensions put it at about 9.96 gallons so I'm guessing the inner dimension still have it over 9.5 gallons.

The inner dimensions of my 10 gallon standard put it at 9.67 gallons.

So in the case that you feel the stated capacity is wrong, but you think that it might still qualify, then plug the inside dimensions into the Tank Volume Calculator.  If you don't have the tank, but have the outer dimensions, you can subtract the thickness of the walls to come up with the inner dimensions.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Hopefully everyone will follow the "Spirit" of the 9 to 5 competition. I looking forward to seeing the systems.

The size limit it really kind of a killer though, I feel like a lot of people would have loved to pic up a AGA 10 gallon but can't because the sizes are 5-9 gallons. Why not 5-10 gallons or 1-10 gallons. Just seems super limited for what tank you can use as most newer people will stick to traditional tanks and not like a vase or bottle or a bucket

NoOneLikesADryTang
18 minutes ago, CD_Scapes said:

The size limit it really kind of a killer though, I feel like a lot of people would have loved to pic up a AGA 10 gallon but can't because the sizes are 5-9 gallons. Why not 5-10 gallons or 1-10 gallons. Just seems super limited for what tank you can use as most newer people will stick to traditional tanks and not like a vase or bottle or a bucket

Last year was an AIO, up to 20 gallons. The year before was a 5-gallon and under pico. I think they are just trying to do something they haven’t done recently. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CD_Scapes said:

Why not 5-10 gallons or 1-10 gallons.

It's just what we came up with this time.  Being an office nano contest, the theme is a play on the 9 to 5 workday.

Just seems super limited for what tank you can use as most newer people will stick to traditional tanks and not like a vase or bottle or a bucket

Standard tanks are certainly welcome.  I posted a bunch of them, from all-in-one tanks, to standard rectangular aquariums, to bookshelf aquariums.  I believe that I posted more "aquariums" than containers.

I feel like a lot of people would have loved to pic up a AGA 10 gallon

For those interested in a tank like that, there is a Lifegard Crystal 9.63 gallon aquarium.  While this tank is 0.13 gallons above the absolute upper limit, one could attach a 19" x 13" x ⅛" (or thicker) sheet of glass or acrylic to the bottom, and it'll qualify.  It wouldn't take much work, or cost a lot more.

Earlier I demonstrated how you could potentially seal off a half gallon from a standard Aqueon tank which you can pick up at Petco.  And ef4life came up with the idea to make a freshwater top off reservoir inside of a 10 gallon tank.  Try getting creative.

• Like 1

I am going to seal two acrylic display cases together to take the water volume down in a tank I already have.  It is pretty easy to do with silicone, you just have to put something in them first to weight them down.

Spoiler

• Like 1

Another possible way to displace water volume, would be to construct an all-in-one filter insert out of ¼" acrylic.  For that lifeguard Crystal 9.63 gallon tank, you might use a 12" x 14" sheet (which reduces the capacity by 0.18 gallons) to make a peninsula tank.  That would qualify without even counting the filter chamber walls.

And remember, there's a prize for Most Innovative Filtration.

Here's another solution.  Take a 0.5 gallon Betta bowl and seal it (upside down) to the bottom of a ten gallon tank.  You could then cover it with epoxy (or E-Marco 400 mortar) and dry rock.

1-2-gallon_footed_540x.jpg?v=1583307466

• Like 4
9 hours ago, seabass said:

Here's another solution.  Take a 0.5 gallon Betta bowl and seal it (upside down) to the bottom of a ten gallon tank.  You could then cover it with epoxy (or E-Marco 400 mortar) and dry rock.

You wouldn't even need a betta bowl.  2 one quart glass jars, or 4 one pint glasses, or a one quart jar and 2 one pint mason jars would all do the same thing.

Part of these contests is to work around the limitations provided.  It's interesting to see how people innovate and overcome these restrictions.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, seabass said:

Part of these contests is to work around the limitations provided.

The contest has been announced, and the rules have been put in place. But having helped with the last contest, I know that people will try to skirt, bend, and even ignore those rules. Just pointing out that many times stated/advertised capacity is different from actual capacity. You've stated that actual capacity could be considered. 

So in theory, someone could get a cheap 10 gallon standard tank and just not fill it up all the way.

48 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

So in theory, someone could get a cheap 10 gallon standard tank and just not fill it up all the way. Waterfall reef.

No, it's not how much water you use, it's the capacity of the tank.  So filling a 20 gallon tank with 9 gallons of water is not allowed.  However, I will allow people to use less water if they wish.  I'll further clarify this in the initial notification.

Just pointing out that many times stated/advertised capacity is different from actual capacity. You've stated that actual capacity could be considered. 

I'm alright with using the specifications provided by the manufacturer, or with using this Tank Volume Calculator to determine the volume.  And if someone wishes to measure out the capacity of an odd shaped container with a measured amount of water, that's OK with me too.

I get that things aren't perfect.  It's one of the reasons why we're rounding to the nearest gallon.  I'm just hoping that people try to adhere to the spirit of the 9 to 5 contest and not enter systems which are over 9.5 gallons or are under 4.5 gallons (which is a significant buffer).  There's a bit of "on your honor" with any of these contests.

I know that people will try to skirt, bend, and even ignore those rules.

I'd like to think that any blatant infractions would be called out (and brought to my attention).  Hopefully, other people will catch infringements prior to the first of December (giving the contestant time to make adjustments before the entry cutoff date).  Flagrant fouls will not qualify to be included in the final voting poll.

• Like 6