SaltCritters.com

Nano reef contest notification

seabass

Aha i work 8:30 till 16:30.. not a clue what I'm.trying to suggest with this .. but... Aha! 

14 hours ago, seabass said:

It's just what we came up with this time.  Being an office nano contest, the theme is a play on the 9 to 5 workday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, PeterU said:

Obviously try at your own risk.

Super interested in trying this. My worry would be integrity if the tank but if the rim is replaced I would think it should be fine. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Super interested in trying this. My worry would be integrity if the tank but if the rim is replaced I would think it should be fine. 

Me too. Its only 5 gallons on your floor 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, aclman88 said:

Super interested in trying this.

58 minutes ago, PeterU said:

I was thinking of taking only 3-4 inches off instead of cutting in half.

I love to see these documented.  Cutting a tank seemed super sketchy at first, but that video makes it seem possible.  :unsure:

One nice thing is that a shorter tank means less water pressure on the tank walls.  Not sure about micro-cracks on the cut edge, or anything like that.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Cutting a tank seemed super sketchy at first

Still seems sketchy to me. I think it was only possible do to how thin this glass is. Still considering it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PeterU said:

I think it was only possible do to how thin this glass is. Still considering it.

That might make it easier.  However, I imagine that it would work with thicker tanks too.  I feel that smothering the top bracing in silicone will not only help hide the imperfections, but it should help maintain the integrity as well.

I tried removing the top frame on a 40 gallon breeder once.  It was siliconed so well, that I eventually gave up.  From watching the video, I get the impression that it's much easier to take the top frame off of these 10 gallon tanks.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, seabass said:

For y'all that aren't working 9 to 5, I'm going to need to you come in on the weekend.

thatd_be_great.jpg.73eca49a69cb8ca4f4e801fe24ebb308.jpg

Well if you sent out a memo I don’t think there was a TPS cover sheet, so… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A few of us who are self-employed have wondered amongst ourselves who in this world still has a 9 to 5 job.  That seems like the 70's or something.  Maybe I heard Dolly's song too often growing up then.  That could be the theme song if you make a contest video, Seabass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, seabass said:

For y'all that aren't working 9 to 5, I'm going to need to you come in on the weekend.

thatd_be_great.jpg.73eca49a69cb8ca4f4e801fe24ebb308.jpg

I only work weekends. Fish come in on Friday and Sunday so I'm busier than a 1 legged man at an ass kickin' contest till Wednesday.

27 minutes ago, growsomething said:

A few of us who are self-employed have wondered amongst ourselves who in this world still has a 9 to 5 job.  That seems like the 70's or something.  Maybe I heard Dolly's song too often growing up then.  That could be the theme song if you make a contest video, Seabass. 

My day is when ever I start until I get back from the airport, some days are 17h long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, seabass said:

Here's another solution.  Take a 0.5 gallon Betta bowl and seal it (upside down) to the bottom of a ten gallon tank.  You could then cover it with epoxy (or E-Marco 400 mortar) and dry rock.

1-2-gallon_footed_540x.jpg?v=1583307466

Nah don’t cover it. Just needs a little Sandy character and tree inside! 

image.jpeg.06031f1128dc5f5a052b4cbb7a159951.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
28 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I like the idea of not covering it. You could put some interesting center piece in there. 

Such an intriguing idea… if I was going to try it, I’d probably use a small square or rectangular container (rather than rounded) so I could easily clean the glass with some kind of scraper.

6060FC3D-1054-4861-826F-FB9048A9764C.jpeg

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Such an intriguing idea… if I was going to try it, I’d probably use a small square or rectangular container (rather than rounded) so I could easily clean the glass with some kind of scraper.

6060FC3D-1054-4861-826F-FB9048A9764C.jpeg

Original magic eraser works well to clean odd shape during a water change. Square vessels are easier to find with better clarity though. 

• Like 4

Not sure if this is pushing it but take a 20g long... block off 11g and use the part you blocked off to place rock tints/lighting to create a shadowbox background.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Not sure if this is pushing it but take a 20g long... block off 11g and use the part you blocked off to place rock tints/lighting to create a shadowbox background.

OK what if you divided the 20 gallon long into 3 tanks and triple your entries!!!!! Is that allowed? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I saw a 55 gallon that had a glass partition with a fresh water tank in the back and a hamster or gerbil in the front. It looked like the animal was running around in the tank.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 2