Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano reef contest notification

seabass

8 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It’s just until May. Take one for the team!

I'm thinking of a concealed version.. camouflaged as a blender or something kitchen-like 🤣 infact a blender would definitely move water 🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
13 minutes ago, Murphych said:

I'm thinking of a concealed version.. camouflaged as a blender or something kitchen-like 🤣 infact a blender would definitely move water 🤣🤣

Just make it your significant others tank, and put in it whatever they want!  Boom. Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hello everybody. Long time lurker and minimal poster here 😆 This contest definitely sparked my interest to join in the fun. Thinking of a simply DIY build. 20"x 8"x 12" with a canister filter. Hoping not to procrastinate....

• Like 7
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 minutes ago, RealReefer said:

Hello everybody. Long time lurker and minimal poster here 😆 This contest definitely sparked my interest to join in the fun. Thinking of a simply DIY build. 20"x 8"x 12" with a canister filter. Hoping not to procrastinate....

Those are nice dimensions for a tank… You’d probably have to be careful with your canister filter to make sure you stayed under the 9 gallon threshold. Maybe a small hang on back filter instead? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, RealReefer said:

Long time lurker and minimal poster here 😆 This contest definitely sparked my interest to join in the fun. Thinking of a simply DIY build. 20"x 8"x 12" with a canister filter.

Awesome.  I'm hoping we get a lot of entries.  I can't wait to see them all.

2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Those are nice dimensions for a tank… You’d probably have to be careful with your canister filter to make sure you stayed under the 9 gallon threshold. Maybe a small hang on back filter instead? 

I get 8.3 gallons for the tank.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Yeah probably way to close to 9 gallons already before filter. With those dims already at 7.9 gallon. Maybe a small type of DIY canister filter type thingy. Ideally i want to house the heater in a separate space. Also set to 20" L tank because i have a LED unit that is 20" L.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Awesome.  I'm hoping we get a lot of entries.  I can't wait to see them all.

I get 8.3 gallons for the tank.

A more accurate calculation 🙂 I roughly worked backwards from metric to imperial 500mm x 200mm x 300mm. 30Litres / 7.92 gallons

• Like 1

I might just go without a filter.  However, I imagine that we'll see a wide variety of filters throughout this contest, as there are numerous choices available.

Canister Filters:

Canister filters are relatively uncommon in the reefing community.  However, they can be a viable filter/reactor option.  Eheim and Fluval might be the most popular brands.  I suggest letting your live rock perform the biological filtration and remove the bio-media from your filter.  Also, keep your canister filter and media clean.

Eheim Classic 2211 Aquarium Canister Filter

image.jpeg.d0a8e051879900f8d1add678125eeb12.jpeg

• Like 1

There are actually a number of HOB filters; and I personally find that most are quite capable.  However, one of the most popular brands is AquaClear.

AquaClear HOB filters:

• AquaClear 20 (33 to 100gph)
  • AquaClear 30 (50 to 150gph)
  • AquaClear 50 (67 to 100gph)
  • AquaClear 70 (100 to 300gph)
  • AquaClear 110 (167 to 500gph)

inTank

AquaClear Meadia Baskets and Accessories available from inTank:

FLOSS__30472.1626984046.jpg

MEDIA__02742.1629928593.jpg?c=2

HEATERS__33514.1616701683.jpg?c=2     9001_CLOSE__81131.1616701683.jpg

Note: I believe that some of the AquaClear impellers (I'm thinking 10 through 70) are exchangeable, which would allow you to reduce the flow with an impeller designed for a smaller filter.  Please research this before purchasing anything.  It's been many years ago since I've read this.  I'll see if I can verify.

• Like 3

*** CLARIFICATION ***

@Christopher Marks and I have decided that it would be acceptable to round the total volume capacity to the nearest US gallon.  While we feel that rounding to the nearest gallon still keeps true to the 9 to 5 gallon contest, it also helps with the rounding that manufacturers do, conversions, and the occasional conflicting specifications on filter capacities.  But try not to push the limits.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Other optional equipment that you might need/want:

• Internal filter or All-In-One tank insert
  • Tank top
  • Aquarium controller, temperature controller, and/or timer
  • Automatic top-off (ATO)
  • Protein skimmer
  • Chiller
  • Dosing pump(s)
  • etc...
  • Like 3
On 9/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, filefishfinatic said:

if i get the mug, i am going to smash it, cover it in aragonite and mortar and stick it in my tank. 

This is all very well, but it might be useful to note that in 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them: maybe you can hire... The A-Team. 👊

• Haha 8