ReefCleaners.org

banasophia

10 hours ago, James.L said:

Your tank looks great ! @banasophia ,  have you been noticing much coral growth with the stock light ? 🙂    my tanks doing good,  but the asshole clown keeps landscaping my sand

Thank you, yes, the corals are growing better than I expected with the stock lights. Check out the acan for example... it has so many heads now!

E17EE6DC-30D2-4965-B6B1-9727C661930F.thumb.jpeg.dc28d44f67af96e05b246da00a7178d8.jpeg

0140679A-BB52-47B3-A7E0-BBDD13F38EDF.thumb.png.ac1521061ffa79807e7b7019e1062331.png

Sadly a snail seems to have knocked my pipe organ down and broken it today... hopefully I can patch it back up on Saturday. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thank you, yes, the corals are growing better than I expected with the stock lights. Check out the acan for example... it has so many heads now!

E17EE6DC-30D2-4965-B6B1-9727C661930F.thumb.jpeg.dc28d44f67af96e05b246da00a7178d8.jpeg

0140679A-BB52-47B3-A7E0-BBDD13F38EDF.thumb.png.ac1521061ffa79807e7b7019e1062331.png

Sadly a snail seems to have knocked my pipe organ down and broken it today... hopefully I can patch it back up on Saturday. 

is it a turbo ?   nothing but trouble those guys 😛  poops more then my fish

On 1/29/2021 at 6:40 AM, James.L said:

is it a turbo ?   nothing but trouble those guys 😛  poops more then my fish

I think it was a nerite, strangely enough. 

And I cant even believe I did this, but I just ordered a 30 pack of asterina stars for this tank. I had saved one that I’d found on a frag cuz my daughter has a dream of keeping a tank full of “evil multiplying mini starfish”, but the one little guy never multiplied, it’s still just one lone asterina we see from time to time. 

When I was placing an order for some berghia nudibranchs last night I saw that they sell asterinas as food for harlequins, so I ordered some! 😳😬😂 My daughter is so excited!! I also ordered some cloves, more knopia, and another ninja star snail. Unfortunately my husband saw the cost of the order, and Berghias are not cheap. 😩😩😩

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I think it was a nerite, strangely enough. 

And I cant even believe I did this, but I just ordered a 30 pack of asterina stars for this tank. I had saved one that I’d found on a frag cuz my daughter has a dream of keeping a tank full of “evil multiplying mini starfish”, but the one little guy never multiplied, it’s still just one lone asterina we see from time to time. 

When I was placing an order for some berghia nudibranchs last night I saw that they sell asterinas as food for harlequins, so I ordered some! 😳😬😂 My daughter is so excited!! I also ordered some cloves, more knopia, and another ninja star snail. Unfortunately my husband saw the cost of the order, and Berghias are not cheap. 😩😩😩

I'm debating something like this for my breeder tank, the basslet has a habit of throwing astrea snails -tearing their mantles- and it's, not only sad, but also makes it difficult to keep algae at bay. She and the little pink streak have also pretty much eaten all the limpets in the system as well, I figure I'll try a trochus but I may have to settle on asterinas from a tank where they've been well-behaved.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

I'm debating something like this for my breeder tank, the basslet has a habit of throwing astrea snails -tearing their mantles- and it's, not only sad, but also makes it difficult to keep algae at bay. She and the little pink streak have also pretty much eaten all the limpets in the system as well, I figure I'll try a trochus but I may have to settle on asterinas from a tank where they've been well-behaved.

Ah wow, I didn’t know that basslets and pink streaks would do that! Well Salty Underground sells 30 asterinas for $10... though you do have to spend $75 to get their free shipping. That would buy a LOT of asterinas!! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

You still have a few hours to get your final submission done, so make sure you post to qualify for final voting!! I can't believe it's the end already!

Thanks, kimber! Trying to see how close I can get to the deadline hehe. If there was a category for biggest procrastinator, I could probably win that one. 😆

• Haha 2

I just did my water change and glued my pipe organ back in place that was knocked down... hoping everything will open back up in time to get a decent pic. To add to the suspense I ran out of my usual salt so I had to mix it half and half with my old salt haha. 

What a Year!

I don’t think my tank will win any prizes in our competition, but I’m grateful for the experience, and this low maintenance setup was just what I needed in my home office over the course of this stressful past year. 

Stock Lights, Stock Pump

Intank Media Rack/Surface Skimmer/Chamber Plug

Smart Micro ATO

Hygger Mini Wavemaker

Aqueon 50 Watt Heater

Caribsea Liferock 

Filter Floss, Chemipure Elite, Matrix Media

Theme/Scape: Swirls 🌀🌀🌀

I decided to do the competition because I had a vision of the tank - the scape, the flowing torch, and the background really all appeared in my mind’s eye - so I was truly inspired to create it. I had intended from the beginning to keep it simple, but with the pandemic and everything else going on in the world I simplified even further. I was thankful I was able to get to my LFS to find the perfect torch coral (as I recall it was only torch coral in stock) before we locked down, because the torch, scape, and background art were the essential elements. Had the circumstances been different, I’m sure I would have added more corals to fill it in more. 

Aside from checking my salinity each week during water changes, and keeping an eye on my temp (which ranges from 76-82), I have only tested my parameters once this whole time, before adding my fish. Since I do a 50% water change each time, I know they should remain in the appropriate range for my livestock. I kept the stock lighting, which I turn on manually each morning, enjoy the tank all day while working, go in and feed Jack (pellets) and turn to blues after having my own dinner, then back in to say goodnight to Jack and turn out the lights before heading in to bed. It has been a nice routine; Jack is a super cute little fish and he almost always peeks out to say goodnight when I tuck him in. I wish I hadn’t lost his mate; it was so much fun watching the two of them together and getting to observe their spawning which was like clockwork when I had the two of them in the beginning.

In summary, I’ve found this tank to be a great little setup, and would recommend it to those looking for a tank of this size and shape. I appreciate everyone who has followed along and offered their friendship and support over the course of this past year. And thank you, Christopher Marks, for this community and this contest! 

6D127FF3-266A-4049-B8DE-48401A009E12.thumb.jpeg.0f3c93c5288357ab2c6f7e8e545a2633.jpeg

5FB97574-B4DE-4747-8CF9-66376CEE4F05.thumb.jpeg.7489bcfc183469455bf92ea08dc6b2dd.jpeg

E148B101-68D8-41E7-97E2-3F0D4670F068.thumb.jpeg.2fe5b3febaf940dee25e726439b92451.jpeg

085B3389-A9D5-4130-B7F9-7DE50671CDBB.thumb.jpeg.3cc56329266d641d141ed3509aa0ce92.jpeg

85704462-71E7-496C-9426-AD06B0F284EA.jpeg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Congratulations! I of course have enjoyed your tank. It is simple. Simply beautiful!. Good luck.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you always taking the time to pop in. I’ve really enjoyed your tank as well. I think I may actually be disqualified from the competition because I submitted my post at 11:59, but it took longer than I expected for it to load, so it may have missed the deadline by a few seconds. 😩😩😩

1 hour ago, Aqua Splendor said:

The Torch and Caulastrea are my favorite in your tank, they are really nice!
Love the neon blue goby

Thank you so much! Took a quick peek at your tank yesterday and it looks beautiful; looking forward to spending more time reading through and watching your recent videos. 🤗

• Like 1
22 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Nice job! It’s a beautiful tank! I’m glad it was such an easy to care for tank for you. Jack is such an awesome fish! 

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your support. Yes, before I started the hobby I would’ve never imagined how attached one can get to a fish. 😊

Well it looks like I missed the final submission cutoff... I submitted my post at 11:59, but it didn’t go through until 12:00 due to a delay in loading. 😯 It’s okay though... I get force ranked at my job, and wasn’t that jazzed about going through it here. 😁🤗

7F81B10E-04EA-4159-87B2-FF1B64FA3D67.jpeg

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Well it looks like I missed the final submission cutoff... I submitted my post at 11:59, but it didn’t go through until 12:00 due to a delay in loading.

Oh come on - let's not split hairs here.  I think this should be OK.

@kimberbee - can we get a ruling on this?  I doubt few, if any, of the others will be bent if this is allowed.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

🚨🚓🚔👮‍♀️🚔🚓🚨

Uh oh... what do we have here... 

Well, miss, do you have any idea how fast your post was uploading? Apparently not. I'll let you off with a warning... this time... 

You stay safe and good luck in the vote... 

🚨🚓🚔👮‍♀️🚔🚓🚨

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

🚨🚓🚔👮‍♀️🚔🚓🚨

Uh oh... what do we have here... 

Well, miss, do you have any idea how fast your post was uploading? Apparently not. I'll let you off with a warning... this time... 

You stay safe and good luck in the vote... 

🚨🚓🚔👮‍♀️🚔🚓🚨

Haha you totally cracked me up. You are much nicer than the motorcycle cop that pulled me over one time for not having my headlights on in the rain and made me cry. 😂🤣 

Awesome if you guys can keep me in, but no hard feelings if it turns out you can’t. 🤗😘

• Like 3
5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh come on - let's not split hairs here.  I think this should be OK.

@kimberbee - can we get a ruling on this?  I doubt few, if any, of the others will be bent if this is allowed.   

Also, thank you very much for fighting for me! That was really nice!! ☺️🤗

• Like 1
growsomething

"You are much nicer than the motorcycle cop that pulled me over one time for not having my headlights on in the rain and made me cry. 😂🤣 "

Did it work? 😉  That's how my sister gets out of tickets 😏  I don't really have that option, I think they'd arrest me.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, growsomething said:

"You are much nicer than the motorcycle cop that pulled me over one time for not having my headlights on in the rain and made me cry. 😂🤣 "

Did it work? 😉  That's how my sister gets out of tickets 😏  I don't really have that option, I think they'd arrest me.

Haha 😆 I got a fixit ticket or something like that where I went to court and they dropped it, as I recall. It was my dad’s car I had just inherited and I thought the lights were turned on, and I even showed the cop how they were turned on... what I didn’t know was that there was an automatic daylight sensor thing on that car, so it was raining during the daytime and there was enough light to automatically switch them off. 

C31DCF14-99F7-43DC-B8FF-132124690805.thumb.jpeg.f31053a66c2bfb1625fd791560280287.jpeg

Cheers, friends!  Hank & Finnick are back in the Evo, having a little visit with their buddy Jack. All three fish seem so happy together in this little tank. Not sure how long I’ll keep them in here. I’m trying to get an arrow crab to scarf up the bristleworms in the Biocube 16, and once the worms are less of a nuisance I’ll probably transfer these guys back. 

• Like 2