Innovative Marine Aquariums

banasophia

On 9/4/2021 at 9:51 AM, gena said:

Got it!  Seems like there are a lot of young people already taking up the hobby.  By young I mean early 20s/college age.  Do you remember what the average age was for the hobby?

Oh yeah I got permission to post the graph, although I think this is survey respondents so I’m not sure it mirrors the overall population of hobbyists since I’m not sure what the survey was measuring. He posted a link to the article and I just tried to download it to check it out, but I wasn’t able to open it… I’ll keep trying! 

DED253C2-F95B-48BE-BED8-F366ABF544FC.thumb.png.b357d8accb77e0d9a03782c04c65e9b6.png

• Like 2

Hmmm… looks like this was research based on Australia… we’ll have to look a little further for data on US and worldwide hobbyists. 

• Like 2

After my water change tonight. Must’ve accidentally moved the angle of the return cuz the candy cane on the left is being a bit blown by the flow. Usually just need to adjust the angle or move the powerhead a bit to fix it when this happens. 

83BB7AE7-74CD-491F-B74A-DFB6D1C1B1FB.thumb.jpeg.05a179d0b6120a0face230bbf7bbc4e1.jpeg

• Like 10
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I still absolutely love this tank. 

Thanks so much! I’m sure it would look even prettier if I added just a few more corals like some cloves, but it has been a nice low maintenance third tank. Once I get my Aquaspin tester disks and have a chance to start testing my tanks I’ll probably add some corals to all three. 

• Like 2

Don’t you guys think it’s interesting that the sinularia grew so close to the torch and that they are getting along? Sometimes I think about removing that stalk of sinularia but both corals seem happy enough. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Don’t you guys think it’s interesting that the sinularia grew so close to the torch and that they are getting along? Sometimes I think about removing that stalk of sinularia but both corals seem happy enough. 

I was going to comment on that this afternoon. Its amazing. If my torch is looked at the wrong way it's instant death to the onlooker 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Instant_taco said:

How's that stock light treating you. Seem like its doing by great.

Works well in my experience… nice rate of growth on all my corals… the only issue I have with it is that it’s totally manual, no timers or ramping/adjusting… just blues or whites, on or off. So I turn it on whites in the morning, run them all day, then turn them to blues after feeding at night, then turn them off when I go in to bed. 

I am actually getting a replacement stock light tomorrow because I messed up the wiring a couple months ago… I was doing a water change with some bulky gloves because I had a rash on my hands and when I removed the light I must have done something to the connection… now the light dims or turns to blues on its own sometimes, but if I wiggle the wire it goes back to normal. It hasn’t been a huge issue, but I got my buddy at my LFS to get a replacement for me from Fluval. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

How's that stock light treating you. Seem like its doing by great.

Oh and I have a kessil on hand that I bought from a friend of mine, but the stock light has been good enough that I haven’t felt the need to upgrade. Plus I like the way the stock light fits over the stock lid. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

I'm looking at other lights. I like the fluval nano bluetooth led for a future upgrade but for now it seems like the stock light with a timer works for my needs. I was just worried about coral growth. 

Yeah all my corals grow really well… the candy canes, acans, and torch have lots of additional heads, and I have to frag my gorgonian so it doesn’t take over. And I don’t feed my corals anything in this tank, just get the leftover pellet food from when I feed my fish. 

I’m probably going to relocate the candy cane on the left to my Biocube 16 and do an acan garden or maybe some button scolys there. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

It's odd for me to see this with what's becoming a wrasse dominant tank I have. 🤣 I love all these wee animals... 

well with a comment like that I couldn’t resist checking out your wrasse hehe 👍😉😂

your tank is looking great, and your thread is awesome. I love how you did your initial post with all the details and links to certain topics, very well done!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So many asternia stars in that photo too 😍

yeah thanks, I love them… I actually thought there would be even more by now… they are doing well but seem to be fairly in check… I don’t have any zoas and don’t plan to get any in this tank so I’m not worried about them eating corals… they aren’t interested in any of the corals I’ve stocked… they do like to ride on the snails sometimes

asterina star on a ninja star snail… are you my mother?

E821193D-6236-4FEA-8FE8-67870012D176.thumb.jpeg.2bb1c33f3f1a69915540942d7659e2df.jpeg

B78A8349-1A5B-4EFD-9D26-E47B976E6218.thumb.jpeg.e4da9e1effa46c30c1bf7ce48ab22715.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah, I took a video and some additional pics the other day when we were talking about the sinularia and torch. I should post this in the coral fight club thread too… I thought the torch would destroy the sinularia. (Of course it will probably go after the acan or candy cane now that I’ve questioned it’s power haha.)

7519D621-54B2-4BE4-92B2-7B60605BAF1D.thumb.jpeg.d892f9c46b93cdc2845abff41889c865.jpeg

A57D5F79-0FCC-42F0-8ECC-409238E96921.thumb.jpeg.bcb25195538c18ea22602546936b3e9b.jpeg

70BF2F79-B6E4-44FA-ADCB-97656A03C583.thumb.jpeg.13a1c2446e7ddc1e3cfc632648db2b16.jpeg

C8331FDD-5C13-425C-8619-A924F349881C.thumb.jpeg.d6fe46c00ed862f769bbaa1122aa4b9d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Huh. Maybe the sinularia is enough unlike the torch that the torch doesn't register it as being possible competition? Or are they from different parts of the world, and the torch just plain doesn't recognize it at all? 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Tired said:

Huh. Maybe the sinularia is enough unlike the torch that the torch doesn't register it as being possible competition? Or are they from different parts of the world, and the torch just plain doesn't recognize it at all? 

Yeah… that’s a good thought… it’s very surprising… maybe it’s just a really polite torch… or a really fierce sinularia 

I was thinking of naming that branch of sinularia Hodor… seems it may be holding the torch tentacles back from the other corals

image.gif.286baf04a389e13b9944b67ac72c78ac.gif

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, growsomething said:

Nice, good to see contest tanks still trucking.

Thanks, yes, it’s such an easy system to maintain that I decided to keep it going 

• Like 2

Just wanted to say I’ve been lurking this forum for a while now and finally starting my tank. I’ve always thought you’ve given great advice and the success of this tank really proves it. Hope to continue seeing you on the forum!

• Like 6