Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

banasophia

20 minutes ago, Tamale said:

Just wanted to say I’ve been lurking this forum for a while now and finally starting my tank. I’ve always thought you’ve given great advice and the success of this tank really proves it. Hope to continue seeing you on the forum!

Aww, thanks, that’s really nice of you to say! 🤗 Hope to see more of you, too!!

And it’s official - you are now a posting member of the forum, so welcome! 
:welcome:

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Aww, thanks, that’s really nice of you to say! 🤗 Hope to see more of you, too!!

And it’s official - you are now a posting member of the forum, so welcome! 
:welcome:

Thank you so much! This community is so alive and active with so many awesome experts. Can’t wait!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Tamale said:

Thank you so much! This community is so alive and active with so many awesome experts. Can’t wait!

Yeah, I am still very new to the hobby myself and I’ve learned so much from everyone in this forum in this past 3 1/2 years. It’s a really great community, and I really like the way the platform is set up too. 

I was actually just thinking it would be really cool to do a poll to see people’s experience in the hobby and in related fields of education and work… maybe I’ll try to post a poll tonight.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yeah, I am still very new to the hobby myself and I’ve learned so much from everyone in this forum in this past 3 1/2 years. It’s a really great community, and I really like the way the platform is set up too. 

I was actually just thinking it would be really cool to do a poll to see people’s experience in the hobby and in related fields of education and work… maybe I’ll try to post a poll tonight.

3yrs in this hobby is short to some haha. But to someone like me that’s a good deal of experience and more importantly, recent experience!

That seems like it would be a really interesting poll!

• Like 2
On 9/29/2021 at 9:03 AM, Tamale said:

3yrs in this hobby is short to some haha. But to someone like me that’s a good deal of experience and more importantly, recent experience!

That seems like it would be a really interesting poll!

Yeah, I remember that feeling when I was brand new… so much to learn!

Live Aquaria and Tidal Gardens were two of my favorite sources of info. Coral Magazine and Reef Hobbyist Magazine are great too. And I like this book for choosing fish:

F2EDD3BE-74CE-44A9-84F1-9E5B731AB4B7.thumb.jpeg.2e527ca933e4969359ca15c5ffba9d15.jpeg

And I contemplated that poll idea last night btw but then I wasn’t confident anyone would answer it anyway… may have to revisit that idea in the future.

• Like 2

Reef Cleaners Emeralds are the best - thank you @johnmaloney! I got my delivery this evening of 5 emerald crabs and a money cowrie and the emeralds settled in and went immediately to work on the bubble algae. 

Within 30 minutes, the one in this tank found a patch of bubble algae on the underside of my candy cane on the sandbed where I didn’t even know I had bubble algae. Not any more!

6D2AC6A7-E800-4F98-8777-98E324C3C7DA.thumb.jpeg.c25892448e0f5d554590f2729d6957a6.jpeg

• Like 6
7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah, I remember that feeling when I was brand new… so much to learn!

Live Aquaria and Tidal Gardens were two of my favorite sources of info. Coral Magazine and Reef Hobbyist Magazine are great too. And I like this book for choosing fish:

F2EDD3BE-74CE-44A9-84F1-9E5B731AB4B7.thumb.jpeg.2e527ca933e4969359ca15c5ffba9d15.jpeg

And I contemplated that poll idea last night btw but then I wasn’t confident anyone would answer it anyway… may have to revisit that idea in the future.

I actually had planned on getting my first corals from Tidal and love looking at Divers Den! Love their videos and they actually are close to where my folks live in Ohio. Definitely want to make an appointment to visit next time I travel to see my parents. I'll look into the reference material you mention as well!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tamale said:

Lord colony is looking great!

Thanks, I don’t feed it or anything, just the pellets I feed the fish and the light… seems happy enough… not super colorful or anything but suits me fine…I should post pics under blues again soon though. Since I don’t hang out in my home office at night I seldom look at it with the blues. 

2 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

the-collector-magnificent.gif

😁🤗

• Like 1
10 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks, I don’t feed it or anything, just the pellets I feed the fish and the light… seems happy enough… not super colorful or anything but suits me fine…I should post pics under blues again soon though. Since I don’t hang out in my home office at night I seldom look at it with the blues. 

😁🤗

I’ve come to conclusion that while color is great, a healthy coral, regardless of color, is the best coral! And those lords are happy and healthy! Can’t wait to get some in the next few weeks or so!

• Like 3

Had to rehome Ser Jaime Lannister, my azure damsel, today because I wanted to use this tank as my hospital tank for Finnick, my mandarin who has popeye right now. I’ll miss the way this little guy used to dart after the remaining pellets when I would turn the flow back on after his dinner time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I transferred Finnick from the quarantine tank to this tank, figuring he’d feel more at home here. I’ll be dosing Epsom salt to this tank tomorrow, once it arrives from Amazon, and then possibly dosing Prazipro again over the weekend. Sent the video to Humblefish to have him take a look… and if anyone else has ideas please also chime in. Looks like some kind of larvae or maybe an amphipod in his eye, not really like the picture of eye flukes I’ve seen, but I have very limited experience with fish disease so I really don’t know. Hoping whatever it is can be eradicated and Finnick will recover. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

Oh yeah forgot to post the pic from taking the whole scape out to get Ser Jaime out. 😳😳😳 Always freaks me out when I have to do this. 
DD8C72D0-CD96-419E-9A74-70632001A56A.thumb.jpeg.20eb2901fe23dee3a7c14fb3f216a2f6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 5
9 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Oh wow. I like the odd rock out from time to time but the full cake! 😱

Yeah I was wishing I had thought to turkey baste the corals first so they’d retract some… always worrisome when gravity is pulling on the polyps/tentacles and it looks like the skeletons are going to damage them. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

I heard live rock adds flavor to cookie pans. /s

Lol

Haha and frags are great for cutting boards too, I’ve found!  Sometimes I get in trouble for getting superglue on kitchenware. 😬😬😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A few shots of the tank today. Finnick is still hanging in there, just back behind the scape. He looks a little better but still not good. I dosed the Prazipro in the tank and I’ll be adding Epsom salt again soon. 

7A86CDB3-35FE-4177-B876-2533BCC39EBE.thumb.jpeg.a444041c78264ff62ec124b41334e5bc.jpeg

0BD6B73E-36CE-4E1D-8414-408FB4D820EB.thumb.jpeg.ebbdda00318f4be78cd9835347301f64.jpeg

F0B28A28-43CB-4A46-8493-B39ADB8300D8.thumb.jpeg.a9d215e3101bd36b4f2a1e341b5a62c3.jpeg

AC09B036-C7BD-433E-8F60-D38C26F6CB64.thumb.jpeg.405dcd1e5371f3f91ece6dfe9862a460.jpeg

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...

The tank is in my kitchen temporarily at the moment, along with my kiddo’s freshwater tank and lizard tanks because we just had our cottage cheese ceilings removed this week. Definitely appreciated the benefit of it being so small so it could easily be moved. It seems to have fared pretty well so far despite some issues with temperature regulation while the work was being done. 

You can’t see it in the pic, but I did move corals a bit in the hopes of adding some more acans soon. 

CC7CF7B9-9CD7-45C9-B0FF-E67BBE546A3B.thumb.jpeg.e35f576115977c42b407265b26c5f3e8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
growsomething

That looks like my kind of kitchen 🤙

Also, the popcorn ceiling texture of the 70's created thousands of little shadows.  Your place will seem bigger/brighter/cleaner. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, growsomething said:

That looks like my kind of kitchen 🤙

Also, the popcorn ceiling texture of the 70's created thousands of little shadows.  Your place will seem bigger/brighter/cleaner. 

Haha yeah aquarium and reptile central! Seems a little weird to have them in the kitchen but it was really our only option.

Hadn’t even thought of that with the ceilings! We are having all new light fixtures installed too to replace the ceiling fans from the 70s.