Cultivated Reef

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

SaltyGallon

18 hours ago, Azur said:

Thanks Deb. It's a bit silly but it's great watching everything growing on such a small scale. I'm hoping that GSP will be mostly covering the back wall by the end of the year 🙂

That will look cool in this little tank! 🙂

SaltyGallon
2 hours ago, karisma said:

That will look cool in this little tank! 🙂

Thanks Karisma. The brightest green GSP on the left is really starting to take off towards the top of the tank, so hopefully it'll get a good head start on the others.

It's funny actually, a couple of months ago that GSP was a small cyano covered slither in my LFS... I only took pity on it because the few polyps that were extended were crazy bright!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Azur said:

Thanks Karisma. The brightest green GSP on the left is really starting to take off towards the top of the tank, so hopefully it'll get a good head start on the others.

It's funny actually, a couple of months ago that GSP was a small cyano covered slither in my LFS... I only took pity on it because the few polyps that were extended were crazy bright!

Well you got the better end with those little bright gap heads! I want to get some gsp for my tank too!

SaltyGallon

Tuesday night FTS - all looking happy! I'm a day late on my water change and the shrooms have never looked so extended... It seems they like the dirty water!

I think I've finally got an ID on the green 'jawbreaker' in the middle of the tank - I think it's actually a "tequila sunrise rhodactis". Silly name aside it's a rare variant here in the UK, so I can't complain 🙂

• Like 3
SaltyGallon

A cool few days for the pico tank - it got a feature on the Reef Builders website yesterday, which was a really nice surprise! I snapped a few pics of the elusive sexy shrimp today but I'm not very pleased with them... I'm going to have to source a macro type lens so I can do them and their wagging abdomens justice!!! 

• Like 4
SaltyGallon
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Well, well well. If it isn't UK';s answer to @Tigahboy

Seriously well done getting featured, on a lot of reefing pages on instagram now too 

Hahaha I don't think there can ever be another Tigahboy... He's got the macro game in a chokehold!!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SaltyGallon

I reckon we'll call this the May FTS - all happy apart from one zoa polyp which is still recovering from it's run in with the now evicted kenya tree! 😋

... Have nice weekends all!

• Like 4
SaltyGallon
On 5/29/2020 at 7:35 PM, Tigahboy said:

Congrats on the countless (I've literally lost count) features on IG!  This tank deserves Instagram fame.

Thanks mate that's very kind. I'm not so sure it deserves it, the tank thrives on neglect haha!

It's great to see the cool ideas coming out of this contest though. I keep another nano with a colourful mix of softies/LPS/SPS but having seen your macro tank @Tigahboy I really fancy going for a bit more of a natural tank when I upgrade. I'm thinking maybe a native UK rockpool species lagoon - a few native nems and macros etc in a nice rolling flow! I'm still undecided but could be a nice new/different project. Don't suppose you've ever given it a go @Ratvan? 🙂

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

New green bounce mushroom + sexy shrimp! Not sure if it's a 'uranium bounce' but the colour is similar.

Either way I royally pissed it off sticking it down, but thankfully it's stopped spewing its guts up now...

Snapchat-199942962.thumb.jpg.d08a86d1e11c76e9459924194d5bd726.jpg

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

Crappy photo but lights came on today and the bounce shroom is absolutely huge haha... It'll be coming out the pico today!!! Pico space problems...

Snapchat-1035691294.jpg

• Wow 1
19 minutes ago, SaltyGallon said:

Crappy photo but lights came on today and the bounce shroom is absolutely huge haha... It'll be coming out the pico today!!! Pico space problems...

Snapchat-1035691294.jpg

Try and leave the foot in place if you want to frag it out, might get some more growing in here. 

• Thanks 1
SaltyGallon
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Try and leave the foot in place if you want to frag it out, might get some more growing in here. 

That's not a bad idea mate. Tempting to slice a little bit of foot off and leave it there and see what happens...!

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

That should pay for itself a few times over now lol

All being well haha...

The shrooms fragments are in their KFC pot and they've sucked their guts in/re-inflated.... I reckon they'll be alright! 🤪

• Like 2
SaltyGallon

... A week of ups and down with the pico!

The week started off well - the green bounce shroom went in and everything was happy. The lights came on the next day and the new shroom was HUGE, so out it came for a chop - in the process of pulling it out I pissed off a few of the surrounding corals and squished a zoa polyp.

Then we had some hot weather and I've learnt that the pico stability struggle is real - the ambient temperature in our flat is 21-22 degrees celsius normally, so when UK temps hit 25-26 this week the pico shot up and it was nudging 30-31 degrees celsius! Too hot. The heater was pulled out immediately for testing and I found it to be working fine, so I can only think the cause is that it's a small body of water, it has a lid, next to no evaporation, and the light and return pump all generate heat... The temperature of the pico generally sits 4-5 degrees celsius above room temperature, and that's without a heater! It's a little heat trap.

How the shrimp held out I don't know but even the GSP looked pissed. Thankfully it's cooled down now but if we get a proper heat wave it's going to be interesting - that lid's gunna have to come off to facilitate heat loss and it'll be a case of blasting it with a desk fan and hourly RO ice cubes!

Everything looks to have settled down now after a water change and a drop in temps but I think I'll leave the tank alone for a bit to recover! The heater has been turned off for a few days now and the tank temp still reads 26-27, so for peace of mind the heater will be probably be off till autumn now!

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad the jump in heat didn't cause any losses. 

Me too Deb, we got lucky this time!

• Like 2
SaltyGallon
5 hours ago, Gramophone said:

How did I miss this little tank?! This is seriously awesome. How many sexy shrimp do you have?

Thank you haha! There's two but I'd like four 😁

• Like 1