Top Shelf Aquatics

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

SaltyGallon

On 10/16/2020 at 2:21 AM, gabe3eb said:

Fantastic! For perspective, seeing the power cord for the heater makes it look so tiny! 

Haha thanks Gabe - the heater is tiny already!

• 4 weeks later...

... All okay! The 100% water changes have dropped back to every 3-4 weeks now the tank's well settled and to be honest it thrives on the neglect! The zoas sometimes like to sulk and the papaya cloves are slowly on their way out but the shrooms are dead happy, which is fine by me. The tank gets a weekly squirt of reef roids/phyto and I chuck the shrimp the odd pellet but honestly it looks better when I just leave it alone... I threw an interstellar shroom and my prized jawbreaker in the tank a few weeks ago and both have settled nicely (they were having a rough time in the flow of my bigger tank).

Everything looking nice after yesterday's water change - hoping the colour on the new shrooms is going to get even better with time, there's some green flecks on both that will develop. There's also a tiny sulky piece of uranium bounce in there too that will hopefully cheer up! 🙂

Snapchat-1065139234.thumb.jpg.502bb356c0df347a10af0fc2a4310251.jpg

Snapchat-2045459682.thumb.jpg.c79a88d76b7236f232127a9e81764e70.jpg

Snapchat-2028190279.thumb.jpg.b999d56acfd6970d065f668fdf5dd342.jpg

Snapchat-1204546621.thumb.jpg.09d61c3b4e8fdcc837cbd780e260fe5b.jpg

Snapchat-1044927070.thumb.jpg.2ca037ca4ae067b070e8fed60c9ba50f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I love this little reef, deceptively misleading 

That it is - I will have to get a few more pics of it alongside day to day items. The picture makes it look much bigger (that's what she said...) 🤣

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, SaltyGallon said:

That it is - I will have to get a few more pics of it alongside day to day items. The picture makes it look much bigger (that's what she said...) 🤣

a photo series with a different item each day might be fun 😄

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, SaltyGallon said:

... Picked up the tank this morning! Pretty pleased with it, the build quality's great... Nice opti-white glass and bevelled edges. It's made by an eBay seller here in the UK - NACD Aquariums if anyone's interested 😎

Acrylic next week and then I guess we'll get her wet! Pic below inc the sauce for tonight's dinner haha.

I was wondering if those tanks would be good quality, I have been thinking in the last few weeks about setting up a 20cm cube reef tank and I really like the look of that light, how is the lights performance?

1 hour ago, Nathans_Reef said:

I was wondering if those tanks would be good quality, I have been thinking in the last few weeks about setting up a 20cm cube reef tank and I really like the look of that light, how is the lights performance?

Yeah mate the quality is excellent. Lovely bevelled glass and a tidy clear silicone job. I'd say do it! The light is ace but I think anything other than soft stuff would struggle. Shame there aren't many decent pico lights in the sub 10w range.

... Some low tide shroom eye candy!

Snapchat-1726492529.thumb.jpg.270101c5b87e996dc18c461f5984176f.jpg

Snapchat-1282749796.thumb.jpg.1f1867fd0b84e094a674e1d61c1b15d6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, SaltyGallon said:

Yeah mate the quality is excellent. Lovely bevelled glass and a tidy clear silicone job. I'd say do it! The light is ace but I think anything other than soft stuff would struggle.

Some low tide shroom eye candy!

Snapchat-1726492529.thumb.jpg.270101c5b87e996dc18c461f5984176f.jpg

Snapchat-1282749796.thumb.jpg.1f1867fd0b84e094a674e1d61c1b15d6.jpg

Great! 👍

• Thanks 1

Update as of 07/12/2020

Can't believe the pico has been up for pushing 10 months now... And what a crappy 10 months it's been haha!

All still well with the tank. Growth seems to have slowed down a little across the board and I'm not really sure why as made no differences in lighting or feeding regimen. I was wondering if it was because I've dropped the frequency of water changes and there's some limiting trace element, or maybe the corals are inhibiting each other in such a small volume of water. I suspect the solution is more frequent water and carbon changes, so I really should get on that! Would be interested to hear the views of others.

No changes in stock this month, though I did frag some of the GSP off the weir grate to give to a friend 🙂

Pics to follow in a few days!

• Like 6
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
8 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

December FTS 😝

20201212172949_IMG_1799.thumb.jpg.951c9f25691913112524aee61f7b37db.jpg

Since starting to search for picos in the search engine, I came across yours and I need to say, such a beautiful, creative idea that you 1st envisioned and then created! I salute you for this alone!  You definitely put the squeeze in beauty to something so tiny!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks fantastic.

Thank you Deb!

20 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Adorable ! 

Adorable!!! It's supposed to be mean! 🤣

15 hours ago, ef4life said:

Excellent!!! This little pico is a real contender in this contest!!

Thank you, we'll see haha - lots of other great tanks.

15 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Since starting to search for picos in the search engine, I came across yours and I need to say, such a beautiful, creative idea that you 1st envisioned and then created! I salute you for this alone!  You definitely put the squeeze in beauty to something so tiny!

Thank you for the very kind words! 😳

• 4 weeks later...

Did some early January maintenance today ahead of a water change next week... Getting the big maintenance in now so the tank looks its best at the end of the month! 🤠

Pulled the entire scape out (I say entire like it's big lol) and:

a) squished a few unsightly vermetids

b) plucked off some rogue turf and Gracillaria

c) re-glued the interstellar down (back left)

d) re-introduced a nub of the OG green kenya tree (top middle/right)

e) siphoned out some detritus!

... All sulking now as you can see but no harm done. Some nice growth and extension this month across the board. Currently not bothering with filter floss (preferring to just siphon out crap) and doing water changes once a month. Also dropped a baby turbo snail in there yesterday as they're having babies in my nano! 🙂

20210106141152_IMG_2170.thumb.jpg.82535ed313cd0ca4b7dce29800c8f25c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Absolutely love it. 

Thanks Deb. I'll post another up tomorrow or Friday when everything's back extended and happy - the shrooms are a nice size now 😊.

Where on earth has the past year gone?!

• Like 1