Jump to content
SaltyGallon

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

Recommended Posts

karisma
58 minutes ago, Azur said:

... Story of my life Deb!

They were freshly scrubbed yesterday...! It was a green hair algae filled mess before!!! If you check out the back panel there's a few light dustings.

Thanks mate! It's been a bit of a doddle so far but am sure we'll run in to a few hiccups down the road 🙂

How do you get your hands in there? Do you use like a two lirtle fishies betta mag?

Share this post


Link to post
bruinhd

Hey mate, does your TMC light have 1 blue LED and 2 white LED? I'm thinking of changing my light and I like yours!

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
13 hours ago, karisma said:

How do you get your hands in there? Do you use like a two lirtle fishies betta mag?

I'll give that a google, that sounds ideal... At the moment I just use a wire bristle pipe cleaner haha!

6 hours ago, bruinhd said:

Hey mate, does your TMC light have 1 blue LED and 2 white LED? I'm thinking of changing my light and I like yours!

I think it's got three of each mate - this is the "version 2" light. It's got three settings, one all whites, one all blues and one blues/whites - I use the latter because you can have both blues and whites on at the same time in whatever % you choose.

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
37 minutes ago, karisma said:

Things would be a lot easier with a betta mag cleaner. They are pretty cheap to.and they are tiny so would fit your tank well.

 

https://www.amazon.ca/Two-Little-Fishies-BettaMag-Magnetic/dp/B00J8PCRBI

Gahh annoyingly I can't find a UK supplier... There's some on eBay UK but they're £14.95 plus the same again for postage - too much for a tiny magnet. I wonder if I can ask around, there's a few good companies making custom little bits and pieces here. You guys are spoilt for choice though!!!

Share this post


Link to post
karisma
18 minutes ago, Azur said:

Gahh annoyingly I can't find a UK supplier... There's some on eBay UK but they're £14.95 plus the same again for postage - too much for a tiny magnet. I wonder if I can ask around, there's a few good companies making custom little bits and pieces here. You guys are spoilt for choice though!!!

Ahh yes. Your in the UK. Im sorry to hear you can't import it. Your right about the price plus shipping is too much for that thing. It would be perfect though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
1 hour ago, Azur said:

Gahh annoyingly I can't find a UK supplier... There's some on eBay UK but they're £14.95 plus the same again for postage - too much for a tiny magnet. I wonder if I can ask around, there's a few good companies making custom little bits and pieces here. You guys are spoilt for choice though!!!

Neodymium magnets, glue gun, velco and make your own

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Neodymium magnets, glue gun, velco and make your own

Yeah cheers mate, I was thinking I could DIY some. Something like this would be perfect I reckon? 4mm glass and 15cm display - no need to go nuts!!!

 

https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-c34/10mm-dia-x-5mm-thick-n35-neodymium-magnet-2-5kg-pull-p3589

 

Would you coat the tank side magnet in something like epoxy or silicone?

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
52 minutes ago, Azur said:

Yeah cheers mate, I was thinking I could DIY some. Something like this would be perfect I reckon? 4mm glass and 15cm display - no need to go nuts!!!

 

https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-c34/10mm-dia-x-5mm-thick-n35-neodymium-magnet-2-5kg-pull-p3589

 

Would you coat the tank side magnet in something like epoxy or silicone?

Yes or glue gun. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon

A little one month progress shot, from left to right! You can't see it in the photo but the kenya tree's gained a good 2 cm or so and is now flopped over the scape. New heads on the goblin zoas and cloves too 🙂

 

Happy Birthday NR!

 

1month.thumb.png.5b8ce92a0ecaf1cb2096eb5af04514ef.png

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon

Crappy phone pic... But checkout the green on the new rhodactis bottom middle. Been after one of these since I started the pico, I think it's also called a Rhodactis inchoata, or green velvet mushroom? 

 

Brighter than the 'jawbreaker' above it !

 

Snapchat-672843213.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Looking good

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Looking good

Thanks mate, ticking along nicely. Haven't topped up this week and the salinity's barely budged. If only all tanks were such a dream. I did spot some bubble algae in there today though 😮

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon

Update as of 28/04/2020

 

All well in the pico - the tank had it's weekly scrub and water change yesterday. Not so much hair algae this week as a result of feeding less, but one piece of bubble algae growing on some frag rubble... I should probably take care of it sooner rather than later. I took the limeberry hystrix frags out as they weren't happy, which is fine by me as I'd rather keep it softies only. The green velvet rhodactis is settling in nicely (bottom middle) and is nicely extended - I've got four others resting in my nano and I'm tempted to put another one in, in either one of the back corners or down on the little foot in the bottom right. Other than that I think it's about done for coral, unless I find some more zoas... Otherwise it should fill in well. Just a few CUC members and some sexy shrimp to go in now, once this madness has all blown over...

 

Still working on a magnet scraper solution - I think I'll go for two of these PTFE coated ones (concerned about chemicals in the rubber and epoxy coated versions). They don't have the strongest pull (1kg) but they're nice and thin and should fit between the glass and the scape.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Looks good, is that GHA in the weir comb?

I do really like the look of the Green corals with a couple of orange pops

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
55 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Looks good, is that GHA in the weir comb?

I do really like the look of the Green corals with a couple of orange pops

No, thankfully, that's just the top of the filter floss! Got hair algae sprouting everywhere else though haha. Like you said in an earlier post mate it's nice to see the different shades of green. Some more orangey greeny zoas would be cool... Sunny D's maybe 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
PicoSavvy

What are the dimensions of the tank

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
44 minutes ago, PicoSavvy said:

What are the dimensions of the tank

15cm x 15cm x 15cm !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon

All ticking along nicely. On my list of jobs for the weekend is to take care of a piece of bubble algae, some hair algae, and to quickly pull the scape out so I can stick a mushroom down - the tank's too small to fit my fat hands in! I've got some little neodymium magnets in the post to make a tiny magnet scraper.

 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm dead impressed with the acrylic lid - the tank had a water change on Monday evening and I haven't had to top up yet. Fingers crossed everything keeps going smoothly.. 

 

Take care all.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Which version of the TMC Nano are you running? I keep forgetting to ask, I've seen the Reef Blue but was wondering what the other two spectrum lights looks like.

 

Is the mushroom mounted on anything already as you might have an issue gluing it down if not! They're slippery buggers, especially when they wander around the tank dropping babies

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

So much life in a 1 gallon box of water. Nicely done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
karisma
2 hours ago, Azur said:

All ticking along nicely. On my list of jobs for the weekend is to take care of a piece of bubble algae, some hair algae, and to quickly pull the scape out so I can stick a mushroom down - the tank's too small to fit my fat hands in! I've got some little neodymium magnets in the post to make a tiny magnet scraper.

 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm dead impressed with the acrylic lid - the tank had a water change on Monday evening and I haven't had to top up yet. Fingers crossed everything keeps going smoothly.. 

 

Take care all.

 

 

I cant  believe how much a lid saves on top ups. I used to top up three times a day. Now its like once every 5-6 days! 

 

Tank looks great as well...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Which version of the TMC Nano are you running? I keep forgetting to ask, I've seen the Reef Blue but was wondering what the other two spectrum lights looks like.

 

Is the mushroom mounted on anything already as you might have an issue gluing it down if not! They're slippery buggers, especially when they wander around the tank dropping babies

It's this one mate, I think it's the second version. The first version was either blue/white/mixed but the second version can do all three - it's got a blue channel and a white channel, with ten different strengths (from off to full power) and then the best channel, which is both white and blue - you can change the ratio of blue and white. It's only 3w but it's a good bit of kit and has a cool little heat sink on the back.

 

Yeah thankfully the shrooms are on little bits of rubble - a fools errand trying to stick down otherwise haha!

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So much life in a 1 gallon box of water. Nicely done.

Thanks deb. It seems a happy little system for now. I've pulled out a few baby bristle worms that I'm not quite sure how they got in there... Such is life. You can see the pods on the right hand side of the glass, too.

36 minutes ago, karisma said:

I cant  believe how much a lid saves on top ups. I used to top up three times a day. Now its like once every 5-6 days! 

 

Tank looks great as well...

Yeah it's great, I think on a tank this size it helps steady temperature too. Haven't tested pH but I'm hoping the old gaseous exchange is alright - everything seems to indicate it's okay 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
SaltyGallon

@Ratvan I'll stick a link to the light in my equipment list in the first post mate in case you ever think "what light was that?!" haha

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
1 minute ago, Azur said:

@Ratvan I'll stick a link to the light in my equipment list in the first post mate in case you ever think "what light was that?!" haha

I saw the older ones in my LFS for £20! but was the v1 Marine White and v1 Reef Blue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...