SaltCritters.com

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

SaltyGallon

7 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

This tank is looking soooo good,I can't wait for everything to have every piece of acrylic,rock and surface covered in coral !!! 

Haha thanks! The GSP is making a bid to cover the back wall but seems to grow in bursts. Funny enough the most prolific variety is the brightest green stuff on the left!

The tank had a nice hit of reef roids yesterday and everything looking very happy today - excuse the phone pics. The turqoise shroom is funny, its always slightly shrivelled and still in digest mode the day after a good feeding haha!

IMG_20210113_123213_863.thumb.jpg.8eb5b3f23b7c59e7e7764c97adff1ae8.jpg

IMG_20210113_122849_690.thumb.jpg.6a8e48922c5a8cd747cd012a10b9be30.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

First, beautiful little tank! Where some of my inspiration came for with my reef bowl 😁

I was just wondering if you had any issues with the acrylic lid warping? I have 5 gallon that i tried the acrylic cover idea but the area is relatively large and maybe too thin of acrylic but its warping enough where im having too much water evaporation. Did you use a specific acrylic? or maybe it's the thickness? your lid looks to be at least a 1/4 inch thick. anyways thanks for the help and love following this beauty!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

I like how the nephthea is growing, really adds to the scape.

Yeah it's very quickly going to outgrow the tank, but definitely adds a bit of height! 😊

5 hours ago, Gunner24 said:

First, beautiful little tank! Where some of my inspiration came for with my reef bowl 😁

I was just wondering if you had any issues with the acrylic lid warping? I have 5 gallon that i tried the acrylic cover idea but the area is relatively large and maybe too thin of acrylic but its warping enough where im having too much water evaporation. Did you use a specific acrylic? or maybe it's the thickness? your lid looks to be at least a 1/4 inch thick. anyways thanks for the help and love following this beauty!

Thanks mate! Yeah it's 8mm acrylic (0.31 inches google tells me). I think it helps the tank only being 15cm square but it does bow ever so slightly. It's hardly noticable but I flip the lid upside down every two months or so and it straightens itself out. I think it's kind of par for the course with acrylic lids? Glass would be a nice alternative for a pico lid 😊

A pic I never got quite round to taking but thought worth doing for others thinking about picos. Nothing super earth shattering here, just a single baffle and some egg crate media racks. Tiny pump, small heater, little bag of carbon... And plenty of detritus and detritivores haha. Floss used to sit on top of the media rack but I've ditched it in favour of siphoning detritus out. One less bit of plastic can't be a bad thing eh?

IMG_20210114_115705_588.thumb.jpg.6e389a1451a18ab2e9bb39a5cd090fbe.jpg

All looking pretty lush today. 11 months on and only just discovered this cool angle lol

20210114125018_IMG_2177.thumb.jpg.7f6b39d5cb68ba9409b4f3403c2173d3.jpg

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I have enjoyed this tank. I do hope you keep it going after the contest.

I am going to Deb! I really enjoy this tank, more so than my 100L system I think... The shrooms are thriving and it's super low maintenance. Once the contest is over I'm going to pull out one or two of the green shrooms and put one of my favourite firecracker discosoma and uranium bounce shrooms in there 🙂

8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Ha do it now before the contest is over might put you over the top!

My theme is 'Mean & Green' haha... But the ultra orange on the firecracker is very cool...

2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh yeah I forgot your theme.

Haha bugger it Deb it's too late... I just put one of the small firecrackers in an empty spot in the back and it looks great. It's hardy, and definitely mean looking... So it'll fit the bill, right? 😅

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

How has your macro algae been doing thus far? Have you had to trim it much? 

Yeah I've had to cut it back hard about 3 or 4 times now - it grows quicker than the gsp. The light only has blue and white LEDs but it just keeps on growing!

35 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Wow! That's not bad for a 3w light haha! 

It's not really is it haha! Its just a shame there's nothing decent in the 3w to 10w range. I'd like something a touch beefier to light a future temperate 2 gal tank but can't find anything which is the right power/spectrum but also aesthetically nice. Aquael do a nice 6w light (Smart Leddy 6w) but it's just a shame it has no blue setting. If someone brought out a pico light with a decent spectrum they'd make a killing!

There is always the AquaKnight V2. I have ordered from Fish-Street before and I actually got my pumps within a week. May be faster for you. 

Screenshot_20210118-183040_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

There is always the AquaKnight V2. I have ordered from Fish-Street before and I actually got my pumps within a week. May be faster for you. 

Screenshot_20210118-183040_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hmm that looks a nice light. I'll have a look if I can buy it in the UK. Is the fan loud? I'm tempted by a Kessil A80, because its fanless 😊

I haven't used one myself,but ReefBreeders has a thread on Reef2Reef about them. From what I have heard they are good,but a pain to set up the schedule. 

Kessil A80 may be a good option depending on what you want to keep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A first and possibly last foray into pico videos today. Super slow internet speeds and file conversion are not much fun, I don't know how you video people do it lol...

• Like 1