Pod Your Reef

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

SaltyGallon

SaltyGallon
Just now, Ratvan said:

I saw the older ones in my LFS for £20! but was the v1 Marine White and v1 Reef Blue. 

Yeah. For the difference in price it's definitely worth the newer version that does all three, but then £35 is quite steep for a 3w light?! Interesting in the US it's marketed as a ZetLight 1020 - see here - and it's cheaper. Looks like us silly buggers pay for the TMC import and rebrand...!

4 minutes ago, Azur said:

Yeah. For the difference in price it's definitely worth the newer version that does all three, but then £35 is quite steep for a 3w light?! Interesting in the US it's marketed as a ZetLight 1020 - see here - and it's cheaper. Looks like us silly buggers pay for the TMC import and rebrand...!

Similar price to the Asta 20, well cheaper actually but less channels and colours. Was considering it as an upgrade before I stick the Kessil on

SaltyGallon
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Similar price to the Asta 20, well cheaper actually but less channels and colours. Was considering it as an upgrade before I stick the Kessil on

Yeah the Asta's definitely beefier. Never had a Kessil but I really like the look of them, everyone's always raving about the "shimmer" on them aren't they haha. I ended up going for an AI Prime on my past two nanos.

SaltyGallon

The makings of a pico scraper...! A pair of 21mm PTFE coated neodymium magnets. A bit of velcro on the tank side magnet and a bit of old sock on the dry side! 😂

20200504_105300.jpg

• Like 2
SaltyGallon
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Looks good

Yeah I'm impressed with the magnets mate, the '1kg pull' should be fine for the 4mm glass !

• Like 1
On 5/4/2020 at 9:56 PM, Azur said:

The makings of a pico scraper...! A pair of 21mm PTFE coated neodymium magnets. A bit of velcro on the tank side magnet and a bit of old sock on the dry side! 😂

20200504_105300.jpg

Oh, I like that. I might have to steal this idea instead of paying top dollar for something oversized 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SaltyGallon
21 hours ago, Peaches said:

Oh, I like that. I might have to steal this idea instead of paying top dollar for something oversized 

Yeah. It does the job really well and is perfect for a tiny tank! 😊

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

Update as of 06/05/2020

... All cool in the tank this week! I took care of the bubble algae at the weekend so hopefully that's the end of that, but somehow I doubt it! Prizes for growth go to the clove polyps (which have three baby heads and a runner) and the red Gracilaria mammillaris which started off as a nub growing amongst the GSP under the return nozzle - it's going crazy and wonder if it's to do with the iodine/amino dosing. I also added another green rhodactis which is sat in the bottom middle - it seems nice and happy so far. I might add another zoa variety or two if I come across one, but otherwise we're all stocked as far as coral goes... Cool inverts next! 🙂

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
SaltyGallon
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yay

Long overdue mate! I think the tank's stable enough but my only concern is re the inverts and big 80% waterchanges the pico gets... Wonder if the shrimp will be able to handle it. But then I've been temp and salinity matching every time, so it shouldn't be too rough.

Just now, Azur said:

Long overdue mate! I think the tank's stable enough but my only concern is re the inverts and big waterchanges... Wonder if they'll be able to handle it. But then I've been temp and salinity matching every time, so it shouldn't be too rough.

I had a trio in the 2.5G and yes they can handle the near 100% changes. I left just enough water for the fish on their sides and added the new water. You might find the hop around like crazy if you do this so leave a little more  

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

Update as of 20/05/2020

All still cool in the pico. The tank itself has had it's shelf tidied up and it looks pretty smart now - which is a shame because it'll be going in my office at work after lockdown ! 

The corals are all doing pretty well. The kenya tree came out the tank this week as it'd grown too tall and was irritating the rastas. It's currently growing on in a friend's tank and if I can get a little nub of it in future it'll go back in, but for now it's out! The cloves are still growing well and the brightest GSP has started nicely matting up the back wall - likewise I think we'll have a few new zoa heads within the month.

A pair of long overdue sexy shrimp went in yesterday, so hopefully I can get some decent pics of them once they've come out of hiding... Tiny shrimp for a tiny tank!

• Like 5
SaltyGallon
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Seems like the perfect spot for the pico.  Why can't it stay there?? 

That is a perfectly reasonable question and one you will have to run past my good lady!!! 😂

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
On 5/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, Azur said:

Long overdue mate! I think the tank's stable enough but my only concern is re the inverts and big 80% waterchanges the pico gets... Wonder if the shrimp will be able to handle it. But then I've been temp and salinity matching every time, so it shouldn't be too rough.

How often are those 80 percent water change?

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
21 minutes ago, PicoSavvy said:

How often are those 80 percent water change?

Weekly 👍🏼

I say 80% as an approximation - it gets exactly 2L.

The sexies will do fine with big water changes.  Just watch that they don't pick at your corals.  Some are good citizens and some are not. 

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
13 hours ago, Wingy said:

The sexies will do fine with big water changes.  Just watch that they don't pick at your corals.  Some are good citizens and some are not. 

Yeah I've seen them picking around the zoas... But so far just the detritus, and not the zoas themselves. They've been out and about today but I need to get hold of a decent lens to take some pictures of them! 

Here's how we're looking today... Still pretty clean, and plenty of pods. I've got the makings of some green turf looking stuff on the rocks which doesn't surprise me as I've got turf in my other tank and move stuff between. Just keeping an eye on it for now but some small turbos may be deployed soon!

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I just love this little tank. 

Thanks Deb. It's a bit silly but it's great watching everything growing on such a small scale. I'm hoping that GSP will be mostly covering the back wall by the end of the year 🙂

• Like 1