SaltCritters.com

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

SaltyGallon

SaltyGallon

We're getting there... Baby steps. Everything's been very cross since it got glued down on Sunday evening.

The shorter lashed GSP clumps have opened fine but the longer lash clumps are still sulking. Likewise the kenya tree and zoas have been toying with the idea of opening but they're not sure about it. The papaya cloves are fine (bomb proof) but have crappy colouration due to stress... Basically everything's still pissed!

A few params checked this morning to rule out anything silly. Salinity spot on, temp fine, nitrates about 1ppm... So a hearty dose of reef roids and aminos went in before work. I'll get hold of some phyto and pods too, to really get this mini system booming. Hoping to come home today and find things a little more opened up 😊

A few phone pics of sulky frags. The zoas coloured up nicely under the AI prime in my other tank so I wish they'd open...!

20200318_091222.jpg

20200318_091410.jpg

• Like 3
SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, karisma said:

The zoas look like they will open. Just needs a little time imo.

Yeahhhh they're half way there aren't they. Hoping when I get home today they'll be looking great. Like I said in an earlier post I'm not surprised they're pissed off, I left all the frags in a bucket in my boiler cupboard for a few hours before setting the tank up... They only just escaped getting par-boiled haha!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Azur said:

Yeahhhh they're half way there aren't they. Hoping when I get home today they'll be looking great. Like I said in an earlier post I'm not surprised they're pissed off, I left all the frags in a bucket in my boiler cupboard for a few hours before setting the tank up... They only just escaped getting par-boiled haha!

Lol glad they didnt boil!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SaltyGallon

It's been a long time coming but I've just placed an order on the perfect discosoma for the pico! I was going to put the green jawbreaker from the previous page in there but I think I'll hold off and put the 'mother colony' in my nano where it's more stable... And any babies will then go in to the pico 🙂

disco.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Azur said:

It's been a long time coming but I've just placed an order on the perfect discosoma for the pico! I was going to put the green jawbreaker from the previous page in there but I think I'll hold off and put the 'mother colony' in my nano where it's more stable... And any babies will then go in to the pico 🙂

disco.png

Nice, mail order corals? They got some nice mushrooms on there

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
13 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Nice, mail order corals? They got some nice mushrooms on there

It is mate, well guessed! They have some nice bits on there from time to time - I've never got a frag from there which I thought was a rip off or an over-saturated image etc.

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

It's been a funny old week both inside and outside of the tank...! Hoping everyone is managing to stay safe in these strange times.

The 1G's been wet for a full week but if feels much longer. It got off to a really slow start with the zoas/kenya tree taking five or six days to open (!) - my salinity was up at 1.030 for the first two days and I think the tank/water was generally just too clean at 1 ppm nitrates... Even the GSP wasn't showing any sign of life!

By the third day I thought "I've had enough of this!" and did a precautionary water change and have since then been broadcast feeding reef roids every other day + pods + phyto + aminos - I haven't tested nitrates but everything seems much happier (apart from the papaya cloves, which are still sulking) and there's a light dusting of algae on the glass, which I'll take as a good sign.

I'm dead impressed with the lid - evaporation has been minimal. I think I've got a nice ultra green mushroom arriving tomorrow which (pending arrival) will nicely take up that space in the bottom left. I'll give the tank a few weeks to continue settling and then think about adding some sexy sexy shrimp 😉 

... In no rush with everything that's going on!

FTS as of this afternoon:

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I love your little tank! My lid was a god send. I used to top up three times a day now its like once every two days. So that must be great for your little reef! 

What light is that btw?

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
3 hours ago, karisma said:

I love your little tank! My lid was a god send. I used to top up three times a day now its like once every two days. So that must be great for your little reef! 

What light is that btw?

Yeah it's great, saving me a few headaches so far. I was a bit concerned about oxygenation and pH swings and that but everything seems fine. I think the 80x turn over from the return pump helps! The light is a re-branded 3w ZetLight ZN1010 - in the UK its sold as a TMC iLumenAir Nano v2. Seems okay so far, it's pretty simple with 3x blue and 3x white LEDs that you can run in differing strengths 🤪

19 minutes ago, Azur said:

Yeah it's great, saving me a few headaches so far. I was a bit concerned about oxygenation and pH swings and that but everything seems fine. I think the 80x turn over from the return pump helps! The light is a re-branded 3w ZetLight ZN1010 - in the UK its sold as a TMC iLumenAir Nano v2. Seems okay so far, it's pretty simple with 3x blue and 3x white LEDs that you can run in differing strengths 🤪

Perfect light for a 1 gal. Pico! Yeah the turnover probably keeps things in check Ph wise. I just love how small it is! I have a 4 gal. And your tank makes me wanna go smaller haha! Think i said that to you already...

• Haha 1
SaltyGallon
14 hours ago, karisma said:

Perfect light for a 1 gal. Pico! Yeah the turnover probably keeps things in check Ph wise. I just love how small it is! I have a 4 gal. And your tank makes me wanna go smaller haha! Think i said that to you already...

Haha I dunno, it is silly small... But its cool that you can just pick it up and plonk it somewhere else! I'm looking at a max of 6 or 7 frags and that's before they grow out! I'm thinking another mushroom or two and a few zoas. Atleast it will look pretty full by the end of the year, if it makes it through! 😊

• Like 4
SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Looks really good, excited to see what the coralline will look like on that Purple 

Yeah I hadn't even thought of that. I won't be bothering measuring alk with this tank, so if coraline comes, then it comes! 🤪

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

The ultra green mushroom arrived this morning. It looks good, well rested and fairly bright... It's currently sat under a rock spewing it's guts up! I thought it was a discosoma but the growth form and colouration looks a little rhodactis-y, will be interested to see what it looks like when settled. Resting it in the nano for a couple of weeks and then it'll be going into the pico 🙂

greendisco.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Azur said:

The ultra green mushroom arrived this morning. It looks good, well rested and fairly bright... It's currently sat under a rock spewing it's guts up! I thought it was a discosoma but the growth form and colouration looks a little rhodactis-y, will be interested to see what it looks like when settled. Resting it in the nano for a couple of weeks and then it'll be going into the pico 🙂

greendisco.jpg

Nice man! I got one that's like an inch and a half around!

1585146304599-1731029670.jpg

Yours looks brighter then mine lol

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
2 hours ago, karisma said:

Nice man! I got one that's like an inch and a half around!

Yours looks brighter then mine lol

Yeah that looks a lot like it. I've been doing some googling this afternoon and I think it might be a Rhodactis inchoata (like this one). The more I look at it the more I think it isn't a discosoma! It looks well settled and has inflated nicely already so I'll give it a few days and stick it in the pico. Just checked in on the tank and it's got the beginnings of a diatom bloom, I think we're officially in "the uglies" 😝

SaltyGallon
41 minutes ago, karisma said:

Maybe its the purple wall. Something about your tank is special.

Thanks mate. Stops the tank looking too dark I think? A one gal with a black wall would just look like a little black box.

Got impatient and moved the shroom to the pico before lights off today - seemed happy enough. Hopefully it'll suck it's guts back in over night 😂

20200325_194708.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1