Top Shelf Aquatics

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

SaltyGallon

SaltyGallon
17 hours ago, ef4life said:

Looking good still. 

Thanks mate. Here's a better top down today after yesterday's water and carbon change... You can see the red disco, Utter Chaos and Sunny Ds really adding some colour these days! Note the baby turbo on the glass, too 😊

20210322_112604.thumb.jpg.42bb91d34f9f92670ede45b0c16a99d9.jpg

• Like 5
mitten_reef
3 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

Thanks mate. Here's a better top down today after yesterday's water and carbon change... You can see the red disco, Utter Chaos and Sunny Ds really adding some colour these days! Note the baby turbo on the glass, too 😊

20210322_112604.thumb.jpg.42bb91d34f9f92670ede45b0c16a99d9.jpg

those three (utter chaos, sunnyD and rasta) are the best classic zoas IMHO, I might add a scrambled egg in there just to add yellow.  but yeah, those are the ol school zoas i'd keep any day ;D

• Like 3
SaltyGallon

All cool in the tank. I'm really digging the orange discosoma but it's quickly become a bit of a beast and is shading the rastas... Not sure whether it'll be a long term resident haha! I pulled the asterina starfish out this week too, they've been fine for a year or so but caught one munching on a zoa this week 😂

20210329120846_IMG_2365.thumb.jpg.c950eaeb5c7a1a729e5ef060d3a95415.jpg

20210329120802_IMG_2357.thumb.jpg.b5a3cd25890924c5c8c480ffbfddb86a.jpg

• Like 7
11 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

All cool in the tank. I'm really digging the orange discosoma but it's quickly become a bit of a beast and is shading the rastas... Not sure whether it'll be a long term resident haha! I pulled the asterina starfish out this week too, they've been fine for a year or so but caught one munching on a zoa this week 😂

20210329120846_IMG_2365.thumb.jpg.c950eaeb5c7a1a729e5ef060d3a95415.jpg

20210329120802_IMG_2357.thumb.jpg.b5a3cd25890924c5c8c480ffbfddb86a.jpg

This tank really has re-inspired me to try a coral tank. I usually stuck with macroalgae tanks but now I kind of want a nicer looking coral tank (maybe about 1.6 more gallons though)

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
2 hours ago, Frozen_Reef said:

This tank really has re-inspired me to try a coral tank. I usually stuck with macroalgae tanks but now I kind of want a nicer looking coral tank (maybe about 1.6 more gallons though)

That's great. A macro pico would be cool but given how readily some of them grow it'd be over run in no time! What are you thinking, some soft hardy stuff? That kind of size tank you're into goby and cool inverts territory, too 😊

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

That's great. A macro pico would be cool but given how readily some of them grow it'd be over run in no time! What are you thinking, some soft hardy stuff? That kind of size tank you're into goby and cool inverts territory, too 😊

Thinking a fluval spec III and probably more of the leather corals with a trimma goby or clown goby. Even thought of doing what Islandoftiki did and go more low maintenance pest reef too

SaltyGallon
45 minutes ago, Frozen_Reef said:

Thinking a fluval spec III and probably more of the leather corals with a trimma goby or clown goby. Even thought of doing what Islandoftiki did and go more low maintenance pest reef too

Sounds a plan! Trimmas are very cool, esp those red striped guys. I know a guy who has a pico full of 'pest' majano anemones but they're beautiful in their own right.

Just engaged my high tech summer chilling system for the first time ever haha... A 5w USB fan. Dropped the temp from 25.5 to 24.9 in five minutes flat haha! Now plugged into a wifi plug socket and ready to be engaged as needed 😎

IMG_20210330_152226_318.thumb.jpg.5bd5944e2f02f98b6588ee54818c7d7c.jpg

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, SaltyGallon said:

Sounds a plan! Trimmas are very cool, esp those red striped guys. I know a guy who has a pico full of 'pest' majano anemones but they're beautiful in their own right.

Just engaged my high tech summer chilling system for the first time ever haha... A 5w USB fan. Dropped the temp from 25.5 to 24.9 in five minutes flat haha! Now plugged into a wifi plug socket and ready to be engaged as needed 😎

IMG_20210330_152226_318.thumb.jpg.5bd5944e2f02f98b6588ee54818c7d7c.jpg

Nice! I might also make it super simple and get a gorgonian and call it good. We have one of those Biota Whitespotted trimma gobies at work, it has been there for at least 3-4 months if not longer so I know it is eating and captive conditioned if I wanted to go that route. I love the chiller, I hope my tank does not ever get so hot where I need to implement a chiller of sorts. I think the first thing I need to do is get an auto top off figured out 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SaltyGallon

Giving the pico a bit of TLC this weekend and thinning out the stock for the year ahead. A few of the radioactive zoas are going, aswell as some mushrooms. The lower right portion of the scape will be replaced with a new piece of rubble for a shroom to sit on (the current rock is covered in zoas!) as its a bit crowded up top and won't work long term.

In the bag today is a good amount of the GSP, but not all of it of course...! Hoping that in the coming year my favourite shrooms will continue to fill in and split 😊

See below the very unglamourous reality of fragging and selling pico goodies!!! 

20210409_093527.thumb.jpg.f2c205b45a7c06b8527bbcd38713f664.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I love the setup and congrats on all the well deserved praise and accolades! 

I have a quick question, I just received the Zetlight in the mail, and was wondering what your timer setup was if any? Or do you manually turn on the light? Thanks!

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, nanoDarth said:

I love the setup and congrats on all the well deserved praise and accolades! 

I have a quick question, I just received the Zetlight in the mail, and was wondering what your timer setup was if any? Or do you manually turn on the light? Thanks!

Thank you! Yeah I just run it from 8am-7pm every day on a WiFi plug socket. No fancy ramp ups or downs just 11 hours of the good stuff lol 👍🏼

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SaltyGallon said:

Thank you! Yeah I just run it from 8am-7pm every day on a WiFi plug socket. No fancy ramp ups or downs just 11 hours of the good stuff lol 👍🏼

Ah ok. Not sure if maybe they’ve updated their design with the brightness/mode controller. The fixture won’t  work with a timer without manually pushing the power button. 

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
7 hours ago, nanoDarth said:

Ah ok. Not sure if maybe they’ve updated their design with the brightness/mode controller. The fixture won’t  work with a timer without manually pushing the power button. 

Hmm odd, not sure on that one... In my experience when its on a timer it defaults to its last known setting? E.g. on with x blues and x whites.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SaltyGallon
On 5/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, NatureGuy said:

Is this still going good?

Hey there. Yes still going strong, 2.5 years old 🙂

• Like 6