Innovative Marine Aquariums

Krish87

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Ahhhh, wow Krish!! Your corals are gorgeous! You’ve definitely been holding out on us haha... glad you’re back! Especially love your trachy and the branching GSP. I’ve been keeping an eye out for branching GSP myself, but I haven’t come across any yet.  Keep the pics and updates coming!!

Thank you, thank you 🙂 

The Trachy is one of my personal favorites. Especially the inner ring that glows! ❤️ 

I'll share more pictures soon...

2 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

The new corals look good.  I really like that hydnophora.

Thank you so much @Jackal227 🙂 

• Like 1

A JOURNEY that was COMPLETELY WORTH IT!

When I decided to get into nano-reefing, like everyone else, I too did all the research to select the right tank that helped warrant my deciding factors which were primarily two:-

1. An all-in-one tank that was a beginner's paradise
  2. Compact in dimensions that would qualify my space constraints

And after all the debates, I finally decided on the BioCube 16 LED. I was very content with the system, and also since I found a whole Coralife Kit it for a good price, it was a no-brainer for me at that moment!

The FIRST ROADBLOCK

I was 5 months into reefing when I hit my first problem. It was summer and the temperatures spiked up. The cascading effect - it raised the temperature in my tank. The closed tank concept of the lid that also had the LED was really adding to the problem. I tried various things to protect my livestock in the tank, and was fairly successful enough in doing so. I tried cooling with a fan, one on top of the sump, and the other just near the ridge of the rim with a small opening between the rim and the lid with the help of a towel. It worked a little good, but that drew in the second issue.

The SECOND ROADBLOCK

Due to my brilliant and creative cooling techniques, in came my second issue - evaporation. This was a bigger threat for the whole system because if I missed to top off, then my salinity levels went for a toss. And moreover, the water level dropping closer to the pump posed a higher risk of the pump blowing air into the tank instead of serving as a return. I neither could be around all the time to keep topping it off nor did I have an auto top-off mechanism in place. 

I had to embrace the fact that having the lid on may not be a sustainable solution in the long run. So I had to start thinking about a open top BioCube with an external light that could be mounted or hung on the tank.

Alright, I knew the solution, but . . . however . . . 

POINTS TO PONDER

• If I keep an open top, how do I ensure my fishes don't jump?!
  • What could be the best option for a removable lid?
  • Would I need to go rimless?

But there was a solution that worked wonders after all . . . and two of the main ones that helped are:-

✩ Affordable solution for a screen top - BRS Aquarium Screen Top for Rimmed Tanks

✩ A light that has worked wonders for many - AI Prime HD

A separate post on the significant upgrades/additions will follow...

And now some more pics for a wrap!

2002405164_EuphylliaIsland.thumb.jpg.cb1d05df33834e050420aa538cf0d639.jpg

And someones decides to come out of his den...

349005756_PurpleFirefishEntry.thumb.jpg.4d9710a08cd9c12eac7ae46eb3abb094.jpg

And finally...

1996632774_BottomsUpView.thumb.jpg.3d1be0ce73d79dbf8b851c234e96b995.jpg

My ❤️ for Euphyllias increases each day 🙂 

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

A JOURNEY that was COMPLETELY WORTH IT!

When I decided to get into nano-reefing, like everyone else, I too did all the research to select the right tank that helped warrant my deciding factors which were primarily two:-

1. An all-in-one tank that was a beginner's paradise
  2. Compact in dimensions that would qualify my space constraints

And after all the debates, I finally decided on the BioCube 16 LED. I was very content with the system, and also since I found a whole Coralife Kit it for a good price, it was a no-brainer for me at that moment!

The FIRST ROADBLOCK

I was 5 months into reefing when I hit my first problem. It was summer and the temperatures spiked up. The cascading effect - it raised the temperature in my tank. The closed tank concept of the lid that also had the LED was really adding to the problem. I tried various things to protect my livestock in the tank, and was fairly successful enough in doing so. I tried cooling with a fan, one on top of the sump, and the other just near the ridge of the rim with a small opening between the rim and the lid with the help of a towel. It worked a little good, but that drew in the second issue.

The SECOND ROADBLOCK

Due to my brilliant and creative cooling techniques, in came my second issue - evaporation. This was a bigger threat for the whole system because if I missed to top off, then my salinity levels went for a toss. And moreover, the water level dropping closer to the pump posed a higher risk of the pump blowing air into the tank instead of serving as a return. I neither could be around all the time to keep topping it off nor did I have an auto top-off mechanism in place. 

I had to embrace the fact that having the lid on may not be a sustainable solution in the long run. So I had to start thinking about a open top BioCube with an external light that could be mounted or hung on the tank.

Alright, I knew the solution, but . . . however . . . 

POINTS TO PONDER

• If I keep an open top, how do I ensure my fishes don't jump?!
  • What could be the best option for a removable lid?
  • Would I need to go rimless?

But there was a solution that worked wonders after all . . . and two of the main ones that helped are:-

✩ Affordable solution for a screen top - BRS Aquarium Screen Top for Rimmed Tanks

✩ A light that has worked wonders for many - AI Prime HD

A separate post on the significant upgrades/additions will follow...

And now some more pics for a wrap!

1890945380_EuphylliaIsland.thumb.jpg.a08fbca6bd6cb2038d6a6ffca93692d2.jpg

And someones decides to come out of his den...

349005756_PurpleFirefishEntry.thumb.jpg.4d9710a08cd9c12eac7ae46eb3abb094.jpg

And finally...

1996632774_BottomsUpView.thumb.jpg.3d1be0ce73d79dbf8b851c234e96b995.jpg

My ❤️ for Euphyllias increases each day 🙂 

Yay!!! Tank looks really great, Krish! I’d love to see pics that include the lid and light setup. Not sure if I just overlooked it... did you add an ATO? 

• Thanks 1

ADDITIONS & UPGRADES

The following are some significant changes to my reef system. I have tried to build a sustainable and an automated solution. These additions have indeed helped me to keep my system stable and also pushed to witness great coral growth!

AI Prime HD

This light has indeed opened up new avenues for me when it comes to coral-keeping. My mixed reef is loving this.

854959359_PrimeHD.thumb.jpg.41f4fc0a96337bded21c71c5e0c51c44.jpg

Nero 5 Powerhead

This was a gift and couldn't have come in at a better time 🙂The biggest USP for this - it's the controllability and the app.

208920000_AINero5.thumb.png.eddeb0afb6ef6f9d6f595dc336104541.png 

Very compact footprint, packs a lot of power. A shot from my tank -

690138430_Nero5.thumb.jpg.fc650a7b376b5648d94bece0dc7b526a.jpg

Smart ATO Micro

Solved a big problem for me. Compact, neat design and does the job effectively.

1764390910_SmartATOMicro.thumb.jpg.53f8fac153845decf7acd305b3c22633.jpg 

I read issues with the magnet for the sensor and the sensor itself, but it has been working great so far 🙂 

ATO.jpg.38401d02c3d071c2d5b57b9303d30980.jpg

ATO Reservoir

My friend helped in building this 1 ft. cube. It holds 7.5 gal of freshwater! One refill runs on an average of 3-4 weeks.

1659492585_ATOReservoir.thumb.jpg.0b74001bda0de9a59557cde886d18fc2.jpg 

DIY Screen Kit from BRS

A really affordable and well built DIY kit. Did the job for me and works well.

1016643799_AquariumScreenTop.thumb.jpg.ba11c5a34c0ab0ee7b8f3c39ee915512.jpg 

Yes, I know it still doesn't cover the edges of the BioCube due to the curve, but I'm still very happy with it!

I'll share pics of the whole system and how it has been setup in the next post! Thanks again everyone, for you support and encouragement.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yay!!! Tank looks really great, Krish! I’d love to see pics that include the lid and light setup. Not sure if I just overlooked it... did you add an ATO? 

@banasophia - Yes, I have an ATO and will share pics of the system setup in a separate post shortly. I did put a post moments ago which covers all the additions/upgrades 🙂 

• Like 1

Wow that Nero is an amazing pump.  How low are you running it in the biocube? 

Here's a neat idea for a lid if you're interested in covering up the curved edge: 

• Like 2

Hey @Jackal227 - My max power on Nero is 25%. It is an amazing pump and since it has a unique rotor, I have noticed that the flow in my tank has indeed become better and comparatively less detritus accumulation.

Thank you so much for sharing that post re: the screen top! 🙂

• Like 1

THE SYSTEM REVAMP 

I wanted to embed adequate automation to the system, of course leaving out the "feeding" part of it, as automatic feeders may not be a great idea.

So, here is my first draft of the setup post the introduction fo the AI Prime and the Screen Net to the tank. 

(This was when I used 2 x Hydor Koralia 240s with a Controller)

1194101049_SystemOverview.thumb.jpg.b5b7911de22838365de127510042ac9c.jpg

The equipment details in the following pic -

694007765_InitialDraftSetup.thumb.jpg.febe00413746559e0dee309b49c39646.jpg

After I got the Nero 5, I retired the Hydor pumps. And now I have both the light and the pump that I control with the AI app, which is convenient and absolutely stunning in performance.

1134277728_Nero5Placement.thumb.jpg.0e89c956b044564d3dcad23d509a48fd.jpg

The pic below shows the storage and the ATO reservoir placement within the BioCube stand. I have utilized that stand to the most optimum level possible.

1043622664_StorageOverview.thumb.jpg.1db1f6f668a9f0ebfdaf88d8b2adc527.jpg

During the most recent storms, there was a huge fluctuation in power which led to abrupt power supply issues (although for a few seconds only). It could have affected the tank drastically; had the power outage extended for a longer duration. Hence, the simple idea of an UPS. It is a basic power backup - the battery holds the return pump, the powerhead and the ATO and it runs for 20 min (average range is 18 -20 minutes per my test). 

UPS.thumb.jpg.29df0554707a1afb14ccc686ad193564.jpg

All this effort, investment and dedication is truly paid off when you see a colorful and healthy coral reef with happy inhabitants 🙂 

My next tank will definitely be a bigger one, and that is indeed on my agenda as soon as we find ourselves a right house! Can't wait!!!

Thanks again to all of you, especially all my BioCube buddies! Lastly, @banasophia and @Jackal227 - couldn't have done this without your constant encouragements.

Cheers!

• Like 3

As my tank woke up, I was able to get these glimpses.

My Acans have been doing really well. No new polyp yet, but I don't see any signs of receding or damage.

513454271_AcansTentacles.thumb.jpg.36efb9c9d60fa772edbf6db81f4d6d40.jpg

I started with a candy cane with 2 heads, and now we have 5 🙂 

191355901_CandyCane.thumb.jpg.555f16f1b64db994f3a11f0051615dfd.jpg

Duncans have 3 new small heads, so we have one more winner . . . 

42257682_DuncansWakingUp.thumb.jpg.f6f411e67a2b4504eff92156878c30cd.jpg

My favorite and perhaps the coral that has shown the maximum growth. From one head, we now have five!

377656574_Frogspawn1Year.thumb.jpg.855c1d138009e0c1349b3803f5212dc8.jpg

This new GSP is really awesome, the neon green is really a statement!

GSP.thumb.jpg.d330282c9f43b2ad03807ceacd966e7a.jpg

And our good old Torch coral waking up . . . 

1668164291_TorchWakingUp.thumb.jpg.3ecf35bedb7293e9141aadb3f93b73b0.jpg

And these Zoas are all over the rock now! 🙂

118051819_ZoasArmorofGod.thumb.jpg.12e683d9f2b5e9f1635080acaa91942a.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Great write up, Krish! Tank looks so good, corals look really happy, and I love all your modifications. 

Thank you so much @banasophia! Appreciate all the support.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks really good. How are you enjoying your Prime so far? What settings do you use? 

Thank you @Snow_Phoenix (That's a cool alias btw 🙂). 

I used Nano_Karen's schedule as the foundation but modified it to my own preference. 

1. Her schedule was too dark in the middle of day, and I like more daylight look - so I boosted my Cool Whites
  2. I don't use moonlight (Lunar Mode). My reef rests completely from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
  3. I never use Red and Green (if you do, kindly share where it comes of use)

Please let me know if you would like to see the screenshot of the settings, I can share it as well.

@banasophia: I've a photography question - I have noticed that my uploads don't reflect the real pixels at which I shot them (I use my iPhone).

Have you noticed any noteworthy changes with your iPad? When I see your pics, they look much sharper than mine. Just wanted to double check! 🙂

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
2 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Thank you @Snow_Phoenix (That's a cool alias btw 🙂). 

I used Nano_Karen's schedule as the foundation but modified it to my own preference. 

1. Her schedule was too dark in the middle of day, and I like more daylight look - so I boosted my Cool Whites
  2. I don't use moonlight (Lunar Mode). My reef rests completely from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
  3. I never use Red and Green (if you do, kindly share where it comes of use)

Please let me know if you would like to see the screenshot of the settings, I can share it as well.

Alright, thanks for sharing - and yes, I'd love a screenshot of it.

I'm currently still in acclimation mode for my Prime. I'm hoping to be able to use the POTC settings by the end of this year. I'm already using very low UV and Blues, and have bleached my red mini carpet nem by accident. 😕 

• Like 1
Just now, Dantrasy said:

Awesome mods! You really stepped it up. Everything looks very well thought out.

Thank you so much @Dantrasy. Really appreciate the kind words. Yeah - there was a point when I had reached the end of the road (especially the battle with the heat during last summer), but I was like - OK, I have to protect my livestock and came up with a game-plan that could be feasible and help with continual success 🙂 

19 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Alright, thanks for sharing - and yes, I'd love a screenshot of it.

I'm currently still in acclimation mode for my Prime. I'm hoping to be able to use the POTC settings by the end of this year. I'm already using very low UV and Blues, and have bleached my red mini carpet nem by accident. 😕 

Hi @Snow_Phoenix, sorry I missed your reply in the thread.

From my experience, it does take a little while to understand the right intensity for your corals. Happened with me as well (it was a huge leap for me from my stock BioCube LEDs to AI Prime HD). When I moved, I acclimated for 2 weeks and the corals have indeed shown growth. I have not gone above 60% on any channel as of yet. I'm yet to figure which channel has the direct impact on the reef!

Here is my schedule for your reference:-

1011153968_AIPrimeSchedule.thumb.jpg.02f1787ab31c3648a179e70e64288aed.jpg

In a nutshell,

• My lights come on at 8:00 AM and I have a ramp time of 2 hours.
  • At 10:00 a.m.,
    UV = 50%
    V = 40%
    RB = 40%
    B = 40%
    G = 0%
    R = 0%
    CW = 40%
  • The channels ramp up slowly throughout the day with all channels at peak of my settings (= 60% max intensity) at 1:30 p.m.
  • Then they slowly lower down on their respective intensities until 5:00 p.m. and then a final sunset ramp down of all channels except blues until 7:00 p.m.
  • I run the blue channels (like a moonlight phase) from 7:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. at very low intensities.
  • My reef rests in darkness from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

I have not had any algae outbreaks due to lighting.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if would like me to share anything else re: the lighting. More than happy to 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a chance to use filters and take shots of my oldest (two of the first 6 I had introduced) corals in the tank.

ZOANTHIDS

Here is a pic of my Watermelon Zoanthids, I still remember this was the last frag left in the store and had 7 polyps on it. It is really encrusting well on the rock piece I had stuck it onto!

282920799_WatermelonZoas.thumb.jpg.0f2eab3d1c5b6262e773a0b038ba6919.jpg

And the Armor of God Zoas below - I started with 5 polyps on this one, and this coral has shown great growth in the past 8 months.

1191303505_ArmorofGodPalys.thumb.jpg.e1f0185930b5569ca1ff3bc0f78013a2.jpg

I have noticed that coloration has improved comprehensively over the past 3 months (I feed them Reef-Roids every 15 days).

• Like 2
On 3/16/2019 at 7:52 PM, Krish87 said:

@banasophia: I've a photography question - I have noticed that my uploads don't reflect the real pixels at which I shot them (I use my iPhone).

Have you noticed any noteworthy changes with your iPad? When I see your pics, they look much sharper than mine. Just wanted to double check! 🙂

@banasophia: I'm sure you'd have missed this notification 🙂 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

@banasophia: I'm sure you'd have missed this notification 🙂 

Oh yes, thanks for pinging me again Krish, must have overlooked the notification. I haven’t noticed a change in pixels when I upload my pics. I did a post recently in my journal where I showed a pic on the iPhone vs iPad... check out my posts from March 3rd. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh yes, thanks for pinging me again Krish, must have overlooked the notification. I haven’t noticed a change in pixels when I upload my pics. I did a post recently in my journal where I showed a pic on the iPhone vs iPad... check out my posts from March 3rd. 

Thank you so much for the pointer! Appreciate it.

• Like 1

The pics for the day . . . 

BRAIN CORAL

One of my favorite corals in my tank. The extremely rich and amazing colors definitely pops out during dusk! 

This one is a STARBURST ORANGE Lobophyllia

1903797899_SunburstOrangeLobo.thumb.jpg.3eaef48943b866e6021082d75e9c6227.jpg

And one more . . . with the Branching Green Star Polyps

303541895_LobowithGSP.thumb.jpg.031d2b918445a86b0631323fe467d4a4.jpg

5 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

The pics for the day . . . 

BRAIN CORALS

One of my favorite corals in my tank. The extremely rich and amazing colors definitely pops out during dusk! 

This one is a STARBURST ORANGE Lobophyllia

1903797899_SunburstOrangeLobo.thumb.jpg.3eaef48943b866e6021082d75e9c6227.jpg

And one more . . . with the Branching Green Star Polyps

303541895_LobowithGSP.thumb.jpg.031d2b918445a86b0631323fe467d4a4.jpg

Well ... that branching GSP sure looks happy... 😬😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1