Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Krish87

1 minute ago, Sancho said:

😍

So this Lobophyllia is an absolute favorite of mine! 

But I just happened to see this the other day, and I kinda got second thoughts LOL! 😄 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Krish87 said:

So this Lobophyllia is an absolute favorite of mine! 

But I just happened to see this the other day, and I kinda got second thoughts LOL! 😄 

Here’s mine they can be nasty neighbors 😂

• Wow 2
4 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Here’s mine they can be nasty neighbors 😂

Oh boy!!! I have not encountered anything crazy yet. But you never know 😕 

3 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Oh boy!!! I have not encountered anything crazy yet. But you never know 😕 

Every now and then it puts its sweepers out...some as long as 8 inches...it’ll kill any it touches. Your fine if you give it some space here’s a couple better shots. 

76A6932A-7E94-46F2-9162-3BD3155CA77E.jpeg

3DAE77CD-5B3A-46D5-82B8-B489750D457D.jpeg

C4A57C84-1339-432E-9552-751389AE83C0.jpeg

• Wow 1
Cpl_Wiggles

Your tank looks excellent. For some reason I never saw this thread until now (I'm a bit spacey at times) and appreciate the mention. You've done fantastic work in the past year. I think you've really taken advantage of the unique space the Biocube allows and maximized it with your rockscape. Truthfully, I would have shamelessly copied you had I seen this in January when I set mine up. I'm still evaluating some options for "filling in" some empty spaces along the back wall/upper half of the tank. 

Would you share your current weekly care/feeding routine? 

• Thanks 1
On 6/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Your tank looks excellent. For some reason I never saw this thread until now (I'm a bit spacey at times) and appreciate the mention. You've done fantastic work in the past year. I think you've really taken advantage of the unique space the Biocube allows and maximized it with your rockscape. Truthfully, I would have shamelessly copied you had I seen this in January when I set mine up. I'm still evaluating some options for "filling in" some empty spaces along the back wall/upper half of the tank. 

Would you share your current weekly care/feeding routine? 

Hello @Cpl_Wiggles - I'd have been thrilled if my aquascape had become an inspiration for you 🙂 Thank you again! It means a lot to me.

• The only thing I had in mind when building out the rock design is - I wanted to build something that is not permanent. None of my rock pieces are epoxied or glued.
  • They are like Lego blocks, I can easily take them off if I want to and put it back together (comes in real handy during cleaning).
  • Another point - I wanted space to clean the glass, walls etc. Helps to make it look like a nice display than it becoming a jungle of algae 😞 

I'm working on a creative idea that would supplement the current design, let's see if I can be successful. Until then, I'll let it stay in the wraps . . . 🙂 

Sure, I'm more than happy to share the maintenance and feeding routine. Here you go -

WEEKLY MAINTENANCE

• Change filter floss (every 3-5 days depending on how bad it looks)
  • Clean film algae off glass (every 3 days)
  • Blow-off detritus (every 5 days, I just use my Nero 5 and move it around the rock work, and then the water movement takes care of the rest. Nero 5 does it very effectively)
  • Check ATO reservoir / pump functionality (every 3 days. I have a custom 7.5 gallon reservoir, so my top-off is all good for 3 - 4 weeks)

BI-WEEKLY MAINTENANCE

• Perform a 3.5 gallon water change (every other Sunday. In my case, I have noticed, this small % of water changes every other Sunday does not shock the inhabitants too much and I see consistency and growth in corals puffing up - after all that is what we need 🙂)
  • Check for detritus and unwanted build up in sump area (take care of it if urgent, or clean it in the Quarterly maintenance activities)

FEEDING ROUTINE

• I feed my fishes and shrimp every other day. (its a combination of flakes, mysis shrimp, Phytoplankton)
  • I feed the corals once every week (usually on Saturdays. It's Reef-Roids and Coral Frenzy LPS pellets)
  • Every Thursday, I doze Reef Plus 2.5 mL. I will not lie, I have seen vibrant colors, especially on my Trachyphyllia after this consistent dosage.

That's about it. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions 🙂

• Like 1

It's FEEDING TIME!

IMG_1596.thumb.jpeg.53f48ad4b4c64ff2dd84db9e3ab2a437.jpeg

These guys put up such an awesome show and they are so easy to feed 🙂 

Today's Menu:- Mix of Reefroids with a couple of Coral Frenzy Reef Pellets . . . He loves it!

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

@Sancho - yeah - :whoa: that was my reaction as well when I got that shot! I got the perfect frame, turned all flow off, let it settle for a minute to open up the tentacles and bam!!! 

• Like 2

Was trying a few angles to cover the tank, and one of which really looked nice! It's the left profile 🙂 

Tank Side Shot

980051522_04SideShot.thumb.jpeg.5040b08701369dd6a399a635c562ecb8.jpeg

• Like 2

Here is the right profile! :smilie:

Tank Side Shot

IMG_1655.thumb.jpeg.3a3beca3c73d71615a22c62504299f7f.jpeg

It has come along very well in the past year! Hoping to see more developments in this one...

• Like 1

I recently picked up these beautiful Zoas from my LFS. They were really nice, big and bright, and of course, they didn't go unnoticed. It was definitely an add to my collection! :smilie:

Lighting is such an important aspect for reef tanks - it is not only crucial for coral growth but also one of the key factors that helps you show off your display!

Here are 3 different shades of the same Zoas...

Shade 1

IMG_1633.thumb.jpeg.28910ec415320c74b350c9425269ff77.jpeg

Shade 2

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.3446575b61cd1ba4cb860f24c7721c11.jpeg

Shade 3

IMG_1650.thumb.jpeg.c20873421104545f053bef84df54113e.jpeg

• Like 3

Top Angle Shot

IMG_1667.thumb.JPEG.d33f2cc18ab11446f5da96ff70f78612.JPEG

No lights on, whatever color has been produced in this picture is because of the natural light that comes in from the windows adjacent to the tank 🙂 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jackal227 said:

That frogspawn is looking nice and big.  How many heads do you have on that?

Hello! Started with two. Got 6 now 😊

• Like 1

Look who decided to show up the other day (this is very rare, he never comes out of his burrow!) 🙂 

Oscar - The ever-charming Purple Firefish

37870053_08FirefishFun.thumb.jpeg.eb2c8d153cbbc3707c68ae7a88086a5a.jpeg

• Like 6

The Flatworm Horror!

image.png.2ebf4abee91b0cdedb8f9a5471f9c98c.png

Credits: Melev's Reef

It was the usual morning inspection of the tank and when I was examining the corals closely, I found my Green Star Polyps to be closed, which is pretty unusual as they are always happily swaying in the flow. I paused and took a closer look and to my dismay, I found a lot of brown spots over the coral.

Dang! :ninja:

FLATWORMS! :furious:

There were quite a handful stuck onto the GSP resulting it to not open :sad:

I ensured that they are not hurting any of the other corals, and I found that one was clinging onto the Torch, but surprisingly, it wasn't bothering the Torch so much! I did not have time to click pics to just posting the pic from Melev's Reef as a source / identifier of the flatworm.

I had to act immediately because I saw a few crawling on the glass just above the sand-bed. Thankfully, I had Salifert Flatworm Exit in stock. So I got working...

ISSUE RECONCILIATION STEPS - PHASE 1

• I siphoned out how much ever possible
  • Used a turkey baster and try to draw them out from rock crevices and other potential areas where they could be hiding
  • Found a few, caught it through the fish net as well
  • The above took at least 30 minutes

Now it was time to focus on the many that were on the GSP.

ISSUE RECONCILIATION STEPS - PHASE 2

• Carefully took out the GSP coral off the tank (it was easy as it was on a separate rock)
  • Had some water in a small container ready with Salifert solution
  • As soon as I put the rock in, all the flatworm immediately feel off the rock
  • I let it sit for 5-10 minutes, cross-examined for any if still left
  • Did a fresh water dip to wrap it up and placed the GSP back into the tank
  • It is not slowly opening up and coming back to normal (much extended polyps)

Boy, did I have a great 4th! I'm glad that I was able to control the situation and bring things back to normal! I still notice one or two at the bottom. I will siphon them out and refrain from performing a Salifert treatment on the whole tank.

Anyway, hope everyone had a great and a safe holiday with friends and family! :smilie:

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Another New Addition to the Tank 🙂

A beautiful Pink & White colored Coco Worm... I have been waiting to get one from a long time, and was lucky to find such a lovely specimen at the LFS the last time. Definitely a bang for the buck!

IMG_1739.thumb.jpeg.abfc997879e586a9dbcba60db26c8dbb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2