ReefCleaners.org

@hyoib .. I managed to get a few pics but wont be able upload them until maybe Wednesday :)

I've had a couple of issues this week though... 1 is that my hermit has killed one of my nassarius snails, and is constantly hunting down the other! and the 2nd is that after my last two water changes I've had a massive amount of micro bubbles. I'm not running the skimmer so the only place I can think it's come from is maybe my filter floss?? is that even possible?! They appear to be coming from my return pump but, seeing as it's a fully submerged unit I'm not sure how it can. Hence me wondering if it was from my filter floss.  

• 3 months later...

It particularly, it’s open which makes it easier just drop some water in every other day... the evaporation is crazy (I find) with the lid off...

I used the d-d jump guard for my screen lid... it was around £32 delivered but well worth it as if lost two clowns in as many weeks 

Nice one, cheers bud :). 
You're running the 2 intank media baskets, right? I find if my flow is the 'correct' level to run down the chamber 1 basket (not the sides) chamber 2 and 3 suffers heavy from lack of water.
I could possibly just have too much filter in there, as i did throw in pretty much a tub of denitrate when i ran into some problems 😄

8 hours ago, Proxo said:

Nice one, cheers bud :). 
You're running the 2 intank media baskets, right? I find if my flow is the 'correct' level to run down the chamber 1 basket (not the sides) chamber 2 and 3 suffers heavy from lack of water.
I could possibly just have too much filter in there, as i did throw in pretty much a tub of denitrate when i ran into some problems 😄

yes... and no...

I was running both media baskets, but since I got the prime I've only been running chamber 1. My levels didn't really suffer that much but, they were harder to maintain than without the baskets in there.

I think my next big push is going have to be on filter media, currently I just have some filter floss, chemipure blue and some bio-spheres. I really need to get more on top of it as I've got a bit of algae coming back on my rock work.  

Yeah me too mate, currently got some bubble algae growing i think 😞
I bought the purigen and phosguard tubs (not the bags) on the evo size tank you don't have to use very much if you extremely bad maths is correct.
(i know you can recharge purigen but with the amount you use on evo, if your lazy it's not too bad money wise). Might be worth a look into.

How come you stopped using chamber 2 due to the prime? It should still fit on, no? 

2 hours ago, Proxo said:

Yeah me too mate, currently got some bubble algae growing i think 😞
I bought the purigen and phosguard tubs (not the bags) on the evo size tank you don't have to use very much if you extremely bad maths is correct.
(i know you can recharge purigen but with the amount you use on evo, if your lazy it's not too bad money wise). Might be worth a look into.

How come you stopped using chamber 2 due to the prime? It should still fit on, no? 

it fits... but I couldn't see a way of using the basket without clamping the prime to it. That gave me two problems, it never quite felt like I had it tightly enough screwed in because I was worried about cracking the basket and also, every time I wanted to take the basket out I had to remove the light bracket.

I've just got a few 'dead' areas which I can't seem to solve. I can't seem to figure out how to position my return and power head to cover all the tank.   

Just a small update, and maybe after some re-assurance :)

all is good in the tank, with one exception... I haven't seen my BTA for two days! now, I know it's usual for them to run off and hide and go missing when they're looking for somewhere to rest or if they're stressed during the move etc. but! whilst doing my weekly water change, I lifted my two pieces of rock to have a check where it was, and it wasn't under either rock!

I can only imagine it's hiding deep within the rock work, as my water is as clear as usual, so I'm assuming it's not dead and hasn't been obliterated by my powerhead.. I'm going to have another look this weekend, just in case it is indeed dead and about to destroy my params.

Just another small(ish) update for today (pics to follow), @hyoib@Proxo

My BTA turned up, all fine and well.. and I'm assuming it's happier in the tank now it's had time to settle as it's come out of the rock work and placed itself nicely on a rock right at the front of my tank :smilie:

I also picked up a little scooter blenny, and a silver belly wrasse to go with my two tiny clowns... that's the limit for fish for me now, just a few corals and I'm done :)

just out of interest, what do you all use to photograph your tanks? I only have my iPhone to use, and it's terrible under the light conditions I have. Any decent apps etc?

It comes with standard length strips and one big huge net, so you have to measure cut and assemble to your chosen size. 

Looking back, they’re awful pictures... I really need to get a camera or app 

i bought some camera lens things for your phone i think they're from D-D called coral colour.
they're pretty good, pretty cheap too if i remember.

1 hour ago, Proxo said:

i bought some camera lens things for your phone i think they're from D-D called coral colour.
they're pretty good, pretty cheap too if i remember.

Nice, I’ll have a look cheers 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I purchased some Coral Lens from a Company Called Mantis, they cost about £10-15 

Where in the UK are you based?

Ah, sounds promising. I’m in stoke, midlands.. 

• Like 1

Well, @Ratvan I went to my LFS and they had the D-D lense kit, so I got that! Here’s a couple of pics with it... 

have to excuse the mess... I’m still pulling red hair algea daily... 

863F2356-DD9D-44F5-B2BD-FC4071982FBF.jpeg

B7FD83C3-4DD0-4610-A832-29E51BC03E61.jpeg

32861F5D-1016-4109-9228-A95A92CFB542.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks good. The lenses really being out the pop. Love the mushroom.

My 5.5g is entering the uglies as well now. Start of diatoms. Just going to post through it. I like seeing it as well especially as someone new to the hobby. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, Ratvan said:

Looks good. The lenses really being out the pop. Love the mushroom.

My 5.5g is entering the uglies as well now. Start of diatoms. Just going to post through it. I like seeing it as well especially as someone new to the hobby. 

cheers :) they really do enhance the photos :)

had a little disaster yesterday when i got back from work...

One of my clowns had managed to escape through the 'overflow vents' at the rear corner of the tank. unfortunately i have some biocubes at the top of chamber one 'weighing down' my filter floss. so, the clown went through the gap and basically sat on top of the biomedia and died due to lack of water :(

I'd never imagined it would get through there but obviously it was small enough to fit through :(

I'm really gutted as he was an active little fish and had settled well with the rest of my tank 

• Sad 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update...

my my two red leg hermits were terrorising my corals, so I’ve ‘traded them in’ at my LFS for two smaller blue legs. Also, I got a couple of turbos to bulk up my cuc. 

Everything else is doing well. My clowns are paired off and my nem is growing quick! No hosting yet though 😞 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright.... so I’ve done a bit of testing again this morning. I’ve still got red and green hair algae growing in my tank, and my tests are as follows... any ideas anyone? I pull as much out as possible when I do my weekly change but by mid week it’s back! 

15AC55BA-80C0-4D75-80D7-E5CA37557824.jpeg

B049B468-7E53-4AB3-9078-6054EC635CBF.jpeg

3DC8A55E-CE2F-4740-B035-AACF1820467A.jpeg

54B2D57B-E087-45D5-B287-13CA71D763BB.jpeg

41017B9F-F54B-43D3-B5F3-C068EC933D22.jpeg