Innovative Marine Aquariums

15 hours ago, Ratvan said:

CuC up to scratch? Had any/many losses? 

Losses in terms of CUC yes.. Few snails, but I think it was perhaps because they didn't have enough to munch on! 

I've currently got;

1x Conch

2x blue leg hermits

1x large nass and 2x small nass snails

2x astria snails

2x cerith snails

2x turbo snails

then of course... my big clumpy fingers! 😄

I am wondering whether my lights are an issue or not.. I'm getting huge coral growth, and water params are good, but I'm running the following;

UV 30%

V 40%

RY 90%

B 90%

G 1%

DR 2%

CW 15%

all on from 8-7 with 1xhr ramp either side. It's worth mentioning that I'm running at 20% acclimation on the "effects" tab. Just because the light was too intense on full. 

• Like 1

sooo. a lot of my algae has gone again, there's just a few bits left which I'm trying to manually pull on a daily basis. 

@Proxo, I went to my LFS yesterday and they'd got some of the Fluval Vac's in stock. So I got them to take one out the box and 'offer it up' to an EVO they had in-store. Turns out I was right about it being too tall! In order for the water to go straight back into the tank, at least some part of the 'mesh'/filter area needs to be submerged, but with the clear plastic 'hoover' attachments, the filter section pokes out the top of the water (entirely). So, it wouldn't work 😞 I'll either look at the eheim one and compare sizes, or make my own but I'm far too (lazy) busy to make one right now 😞

In slightly brighter news, I did get some pictures this morning of how things are going so I'll post them up shortly! 🙂

quick good search says the eheim needs a minimum water depth of 12 inches ☹️

although google also suggests that the Fluval vac comes with a 'mini' attachment which allows for 200mm depth

Here’s a few from this morning. Lights had just come on, and all pumps were off for feeding, so some look a little ‘limp’ but I’ll get some more images later today. 

Also forgot to mention I’ve got some goodies coming in the post today/tomorrow 

86513221-9084-4CD8-AE1D-567B9F738E54.jpeg

24BE9968-0C82-4C1B-8838-09BC178E1195.jpeg

27299ED9-BA13-4252-AE77-B11B699EE522.jpeg

C3DCC252-5590-4157-B728-E9C0AC10E516.jpeg

3652C447-C62D-4509-81D7-A686682FA745.jpeg

F4EB6D98-6B98-4A13-B572-89B1F6B8B61A.jpeg

CB4475D5-0802-4D87-B659-964FB609179E.jpeg

253E2895-6018-42CA-BE54-923B890CFB55.jpeg

• Like 2

This would work for a gravel vac, i have one hooked upto my sump i used to fill with filter floss and turn off the return to the DT so it' would cycle the sump only.
Got lazy so use it for media now 😄

I'm going to see what i have laying around and try make a vac 😄.

61xNG1qGLHL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well...

I finally got my delivery! 

some goodies from D-Flow Designs.. I got an RFG and the two media baskets for chambers 1 and 2.. I had the InTank ones in there, but I wasn't happy with how they're performing. 

I've installed them all, so far it seems excellent. The water levels in the back chambers are vastly improved and seem much more stable, and there's no longer any water sloshing down the sides of the media baskets, plus they were a fraction of the cost of the InTank ones. the RFG also looks awesome, the flow was massively improved, so much so that it kicked up a load of crap which much have been resting in my tank! 

Couple of pictures to follow;

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Grimes said:

Sounds good. I need to sort something for mine the water level is terrible in the back 

I’d recommend d-flow if they’ve got what you’re after. I’ll get a few pictures this morning now my lights are back on. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

I’d recommend d-flow if they’ve got what you’re after. I’ll get a few pictures this morning now my lights are back on. 

Not heard of them before but looks good, shame the Spec is that much smaller

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Not heard of them before but looks good, shame the Spec is that much smaller

I hadn't heard of them until someone on here said they were getting them, then never posted back again! unless I missed it...

I did however, see them cropping up more and more in 13.5 related topics, so did some research, had a chat with the guy then bought some. 

It's worth noting that they do say on their site that they can create custom bits if you provide sizes etc, so might be worth looking into?

• Like 1

My jecod sw-04 packed up this morning, 10 days after buying it to replace my last on which packed up. Going back today to try get it replaced! I did ideally want an SW-02 but they hadn’t got any, so always ran the 04 on min. It’s perhaps a little bit too powerful but everything was used to it in the end

21 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

My jecod sw-04 packed up this morning, 10 days after buying it to replace my last on which packed up. Going back today to try get it replaced! I did ideally want an SW-02 but they hadn’t got any, so always ran the 04 on min. It’s perhaps a little bit too powerful but everything was used to it in the end

If you need it I have a spare jebao wp 10 to keep you going. Let me know dude

1 hour ago, Grimes said:

If you need it I have a spare jebao wp 10 to keep you going. Let me know dude

Excellent thanks!

im going nip my LFS now, see what they say, I’ve had it 12 days so hopefully they just swap it out. I’ll give you a shout if not though! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grimes said:

👍🏼

Sorry for the delayed reply, went straight up Hanley after! 

LFS swapped the controller no questions asked, so all good again now 🙂 

Thanks again for the kind offer though @Grimes it’s certainly appreciated 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

Sorry for the delayed reply, went straight up Hanley after! 

LFS swapped the controller no questions asked, so all good again now 🙂 

Thanks again for the kind offer though @Grimes it’s certainly appreciated 

How's Hanley !? It took me less than 10 mins to drive home from work yesterday it, it was pretty quiet on the roads. People working from home and staying in I think.  The LFS was dead today as well

It was busy mate. I was really surprised. We only went because we thought it would be quiet and my lad needed a winter coat. We just stayed an hour then had enough and came home. 

• 4 weeks later...

so.. following on from a post in @Grimes thread, I did a bit of testing and received the following results;

'C: 26'C

pH: 8.1

NO3: 0

NO2: 0

P04: 0.01

Salinity 1.026

dKh: 5

I need new tests for Calc and Mag, 

but I am wondering if my lack of NO3 is giving me the algae issues. I'm not overly concerned about the low dKh as my corals seem to be doing well, but when I test for calc and mag I might address it then if there's an issue.

so! I guess I need to try and raise my NO3 now.. 

@mcarroll I've just been reading a thread where you were helping someone with similar results, but their tank looked much more "ugly"... I'm trying to read through it but there's so much info in there 😄

• Like 1
3 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

'C: 26'C

pH: 8.1

NO3: 0

NO2: 0

P04: 0.01

Salinity 1.026

dKh: 5

I need new tests for Calc and Mag, 

The lack of Ca and Mg numbers makes things harder to call for certain.  You really do need this kits, like you said.

BUT

With salinity as high a it is, I would call 5 dKH very very low...if the number is accurate.  Are you sure that kit isn't expired or anything?  I would double check he number AND get your Ca and Mg tested. 

Zero or near-zero for phosphates is likely to be a problem for corals, especially in a new system.  

Lack of primary nutrients in general (N and P, et al) can stall out the whole tank's development if the tank is new.

I am wondering if my lack of NO3 is giving me the algae issues.

"Pest" algae are very adapted to low nutrient environments like our tanks, but many of their competitors are not.....so it's likely you are favoring pets algae with the nutrient levels you have now. 

I'm not overly concerned about the low dKh as my corals seem to be doing well, but when I test for calc and mag I might address it then if there's an issue.

Make it a definite.  But do like you said and get everything tested first.  You can do a water change or two to moderate the numbers somewhat in the meantime.  👍

I guess I need to try and raise my NO3 now.. 

Don't do that without FIRST raising your phosphates.  (Both at the same time is fine.)

• Like 1