ReefCleaners.org

15 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Oh man! Yeah that's nuts and it looks likeoke it's spreading up into its pal. Get that piece cut out asap before you loss the lot

I’m not going be able to do anything with it until tomorrow night. By which point it will probably be too late 😞 

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Any plain dettol? The brown stuff that reeks of hospitals? 

no... nothing I think I could use. I'll more than likely order some online, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Grimes said:

Bad news about your algae issue and that I couldn't help pinpoint the problem... Extremely good news that you have helped my Saturday night go cloudy @afcajax73 🤣🤣👍🏼 just about to tuck into this lot pal.. thanks, was great to meet you. 👍🏼

IMG_20201114_213523.jpg

Ha! Glad they’re going down well! And massive thanks for testing my water. If nothing else it confirmed that what I was getting from my testing was accurate... all except the dKH... I retested earlier this evening and basically got the same as before (zeros across the board) except my dKH was 6 ( compared to your 8 result). So I can assume that kit I’m using needs replacing for sure.. however, I still don’t know if I should trust my other test kits, as they’re now over three weeks out of date, I suppose they could be accurate and match yours, or they could be reading zero because they’re knackered, and my water just so happens to also be zero. 

like wise on your final comment too! It was great to meet and put a face to the name.. and that frag looks to have settled nice too! 

@mcarroll.. the results of the testing today, and checks by @Grimes are that as we suspected, NO2, NO3 and PO4 are all non-existent. On the upside, I was getting 4-5 dKH before dosing, and 6 today, but grimes’ (in date) test says 8, which I’m more happy with. I got a few more snails whilst at the LFS and they seem to be going at the algae already. I’m going to give them a few days, and carry on helping out! I’ve also started to feed more, and mix it up with frozen rather than just flake food. So If things don’t improve in a week or so, I’ll start looking at other things such as lighting or possibly filter media 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah mate those snails will defo help munch through the algae. Such a strange problem but as said it might just be the algae that's giving a reading of zero nitrates and phosphate as it's using it all up... Really interesting though.

Ps Still having a think about the Hannah nitrate... Seems like it would take a year of testing to get my money back 😂

• Haha 1

They do look good, and I like the idea of them. But I’m not 100% sold on them yet. It would be nice to have a definitive digital result, opposed to matching colours but it seems

expensive to me 

• Like 1

Next issue... I’ve increased feeding and mixed it up from just flakes to frozen food too... I put some flake in this morning and they won’t touch it!!! I’m assuming they’ve gone fussy already!! 😂

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

quick update! 

I've continued to feed quite a bit, and I have seen a reduction in algae present. It's definitely "shorter" and slightly easier to pull, although only in parts.

I did a 20% water change yesterday, and my PO4 was at 0.10 then tested again this morning with the following results;

Alkalinity: 5.5 dKH

Ammonia: 0.00 ppm

Calcium: 500 ppm

Magnesium: 1500 ppm

Nitrate:  2 mgL

Nitrite: 0.05 mgL

pH: 8.2

Phosphate: 0.08 mgL

Salinity: 1.025 SG

Temp: 26'C

so... I can only assume the algae I have is destroying my nutrients?! 

IF that is the case, do I keep feeding and trying to raise them or not?

@mcarroll... I'm still going with the daily pulling and gradually increasing my CUC but I can't help but feel like I'm fuelling the algae growth

18 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

I've continued to feed quite a bit, and I have seen a reduction in algae present. It's definitely "shorter" and slightly easier to pull, although only in parts.

[....]

@mcarroll... I'm still going with the daily pulling and gradually increasing my CUC but I can't help but feel like I'm fuelling the algae growth

You are, actually.  The faster it grows, the more edible to the snails and the easier to pull for you  it should be though.  The more edible it is and the easier it is to pull, the shorter it should be over time.  Eventually just nubbins that the snails will groom continually.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm too old for reading, where's the pictures? :D.
If you can remember i was having serious algae issues also and all test kits came back in the ok, after some research on "non-scientific" methods i found some guy let his tank go 'dirty'
So i've basically not done a water change in about 3 week and just been sucking water through a tube into a filter sock and back into the tank and algae has reduced.

I've also been dosing microbe-lift coralline not sure if that's taken part.
My algae turned out to be dino (and something else idk what), some say they thrive on high flow and extremely low nutrients.

Dunno if that's any help to ya but MERRY CHRISTMAS ya filthy animal.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Proxo said:

I'm too old for reading, where's the pictures? :D.
If you can remember i was having serious algae issues also and all test kits came back in the ok, after some research on "non-scientific" methods i found some guy let his tank go 'dirty'
So i've basically not done a water change in about 3 week and just been sucking water through a tube into a filter sock and back into the tank and algae has reduced.

I've also been dosing microbe-lift coralline not sure if that's taken part.
My algae turned out to be dino (and something else idk what), some say they thrive on high flow and extremely low nutrients.

Dunno if that's any help to ya but MERRY CHRISTMAS ya filthy animal.

ha! thanks for that pal! 

I do have high flow and low nutrients! I've added an algae blennie this week, see how he goes!

I have noticed some clean up recently, but I also seem to be getting a bit back! I'm just about to get in and do some pulling! so I'll send some pictures over shortly. 

• 4 months later...