Pod Your Reef

3 minutes ago, Grimes said:

@afcajax73 I have frequented future frags and a to z aquatics in my earlier days.

Great journal really enjoyed reading 👍🏼

ah nice ! 

I've not been future frags for a while but I do hear good things whenever it's mentioned. A-Z is alright too, but a bit further out for me than the others. 

thanks for the comments 🙂 I should really update it much more frequently! 

• Like 1

Yes mate, it used to be a bit further towards Longton. They’re good guys (and gals) in there. That’s where my nem came from a week or so ago. Enjoy your visit! 

18 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

Yes mate, it used to be a bit further towards Longton. They’re good guys (and gals) in there. That’s where my nem came from a week or so ago. Enjoy your visit! 

Cheers mate. Yeah got a sneaky £ hidden away for the visit 👍🏼

On 8/22/2020 at 9:26 AM, Grimes said:

Cheers mate. Yeah got a sneaky £ hidden away for the visit 👍🏼

did you have a good visit?? and did you buy owt?

16 hours ago, Grimes said:

Ah mate. Long story but never made it out the house. Will be up sometime this week though 👍🏼

ah no! 🤣

hope all is good.. and keep me posted 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Grimes said:

How's the tank going @afcajax73

Morning mate! 

it's not too bad thanks. I had the start of an algae issue over the weekend but luckily I managed to figure out the issue and it's well and truly back under control now. 

I noticed quite a bit of tough wiry (incredibly hard to pull) algae sprouting up all over my tank, and my pump outlet and powerhead were covered in a thick brown slime! 

Also, all my corals seemed to be closing up between around 9am and 5pm, which was a bit odd, but then I realised that, that's outside my light ramp up/ramp down time. So I checked my app and the "acclimatisation" mode I'd been running had run out and the lights were on more powerfully. I had issues in the past with them being too intense for the tank so had reduced them via the acclimatisation mode by 20% as it was the easiest way to do it. So I knocked them back down, and the algae has promptly died off. I added a cap of Dr Tims waste away and the outlet and powerhead are completely clear too. Also, all my corals have opened back up and are doing well again. Perhaps a little too well in some cases. My pulsing Xenia did nothing for about 12 months but all of a sudden it's getting a bit wild! I need to perhaps trim it back but I've never done that so bit wary at the minute! Fortunately, it's on it's own piece of rock so I can take it out easily if I need to. Similarly, my torch has gone nuts! there's worse problems to have I guess!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Just a very sharp decent pair of scissors worked for me 😄 but i've only ever chopped up xenia and a mushroom!

what about where to cut etc? 

I really need do some research, and watch some videos.. Might even nip down my LFS get some guidance from them too.. Problem is, I don't like to take their time up really. They're always busy and feel bad when I'm just there pestering! 😄

I would take that Xenia out and very carefully.... Smash it up and put it in the bin🤣🤣. My last tank turned out to be an Xenia garden killing everything in its path. 

For some stupid reason I got some for my current tank but soon binned it.. weeds mate 

27 minutes ago, Grimes said:

I would take that Xenia out and very carefully.... Smash it up and put it in the bin🤣🤣. My last tank turned out to be an Xenia garden killing everything in its path. 

For some stupid reason I got some for my current tank but soon binned it.. weeds mate 

🤣 sounds like a plan! That’s the main reason I kept it on its own, so I could just take it out as a whole it needs be. I wanted a bit more movement in the tank which is why I got it.. that and it was cheap! 😂

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

🤣 sounds like a plan! That’s the main reason I kept it on its own, so I could just take it out as a whole it needs be. I wanted a bit more movement in the tank which is why I got it.. that and it was cheap! 😂

Yeah indeed. I do like it, but it worries me. Take your eye off it Nd it's everywhere 😅

3 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

what about where to cut etc? 

I really need do some research, and watch some videos.. Might even nip down my LFS get some guidance from them too.. Problem is, I don't like to take their time up really. They're always busy and feel bad when I'm just there pestering! 😄

Like cutting the top off a broccoli 😄 I will agree with grimes though, i also didn't listen to people saying it's a nightmare as mine didn't grow for MONTHS so thought it can't be that bad.
Hit about a month of boredness so i didn't look at the tank much, BOOM! It was actually growing on the zoa itself.

I still do like the look and pulsing of a xenia, great addition if you can keep on top of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

well.. Quick update, I butchered my Xenia and Kenya tree, 

I've got 5 frags out of my tree, and 6 pieces of Xenia which is currently sitting in a basket with some rubble in a hope that it will take to it so I can get glueing! 

I've not got around to the torch yet. I'm still undecided on whether to do it or not. Pics to follow... 

• Haha 1

In other news, I did a full test of parameters today, minus phosphate, which my LFS has done for me.  

Everything was as expected, pretty much bang on and the LFS tested my phosphate as 0.06,

which leaves me the question again of why I keep getting bits of algae popping up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

In other news, I did a full test of parameters today, minus phosphate, which my LFS has done for me.  

Everything was as expected, pretty much bang on and the LFS tested my phosphate as 0.06,

which leaves me the question again of why I keep getting bits of algae popping up.

Time to buy a UV unit? 😄 coz i'm tinkering my thumbs about it. 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

CuC up to scratch? Had any/many losses? 

• Like 2