Raindog3030

Waterbox Nano Owner's Thread

Chris882003
On 3/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, shaner014 said:

That was me. It’s def worth the risk in my opinion. I’ve had the Tunze 9001 in the past and it’s far superior to that. Can’t speak to any other nano skimmers though.

It does require a little finesse to get dialed in, but what skimmer doesn’t? It is absolutely inaudible in my experience. No noise at all unless I have my ear right to the collection cup.

There is some margin for error in modifying it, just go slow grinding away the extra material and keep test fitting. Grind a little more then makes it fit as the acrylic may expand slightly over time as submerged.

Good Luck

White Collar removed from skimmer body

0CB4411F-AB68-4EB7-A766-A12693142777.thumb.jpeg.cc68b5cd660e671c1687784df130a603.jpeg

Non-structural lip that has to be ground down

27C8D5EA-A749-49F7-B33A-0A56248EF7D5.thumb.jpeg.d8c2d5ee64e47831f5844c5e925792c6.jpeg

Fruits of my labor

8CD27DE1-4EAE-4FA2-BE04-056419F24F78.thumb.jpeg.4189d9c30a78a73f0e62ca749219697a.jpeg

Smells like warm death

B7DA005E-A226-4BD3-A077-20CF646CB368.thumb.jpeg.fdfe5dd0dafb31b05770d335bf9d8a03.jpeg

Shaner014 is the collar the only thing you had to modified? I got my skimmer in today and the clear body would need to be modified. It's a tight fit and I don't want to force it.

russ722

just picked up a waterbox 20, anyone know the nozel size? wondering if my 1/2 random flow generator will fit?

msummerf
On 5/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, russ722 said:

just picked up a waterbox 20, anyone know the nozel size? wondering if my 1/2 random flow generator will fit?

Mine didn't fit, it is a weird connection which is super close to 1/2". I had to buy a 1/2" threaded piece that connects to the tubing and return pump so I could use my 1/2" nozzle. I was using loc line stuff though so can't say for sure yours won't work. 

russ722
13 hours ago, msummerf said:

Mine didn't fit, it is a weird connection which is super close to 1/2". I had to buy a 1/2" threaded piece that connects to the tubing and return pump so I could use my 1/2" nozzle. I was using loc line stuff though so can't say for sure yours won't work. 

Would you happen to have a pic or link to what you used?

shaner014
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Chris882003 said:

Shaner014 is the collar the only thing you had to modified? I got my skimmer in today and the clear body would need to be modified. It's a tight fit and I don't want to force it.

On my skimmer and tank, yes. I think I mentioned in the Cadlights thread though, that manufacturing tolerances could certainly render the skimmer unusable. Luckily mine were wide and small enough respectively.

• Like 1

Symbiotic

I just started a waterbox 4 gallon, how do you all deal with the film on top of the water?  The AIO back does not really allow for the scum to overflow.  

Symbiotic

Ignore my old threads, I haven't posted in years.   But I would note that my JBJ had a skimmer like one sold by InTank and that kept the surface clean.  But again, I think the extra baffles in the waterbox prevent adequate overflow.  So I am open to ideas, it's a beauty of a little tank.

Krish87
On 5/2/2018 at 5:40 AM, Raindog3030 said:

So I finally had an opportunity to try the other return pump that I picked up, a Cobalt Mini-MJ 404.  This pump is awesome!  It blows the little Sicce MiMouse out of the water, and it doesn't push up against any of the walls in the return chamber.  So, no rattle at all!  There is even a little bit of space around the pump int he chamber, I highly suggest this and have communicated my findings to Waterbox support.

Hey there! I'm looking at using a Cobalt Mini-MJ404 instead of the stock pump I got with my Waterbox 7G as I want to take out the Hydor Koralia 240gph from the tank as -

1. I believe it's great in circulating water, but kinda pissing some of my LPSs off

2. It takes up a lot of real estate 🙂 

Anything else I would need to keep in mind before I go for the Cobalt Mini-Mj 404? For e.g. will I need a special tubing from this return to the nozzle?

Thank you for your input! 

Raindog3030
On 6/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, Krish87 said:

Hey there! I'm looking at using a Cobalt Mini-MJ404 instead of the stock pump I got with my Waterbox 7G as I want to take out the Hydor Koralia 240gph from the tank as -

1. I believe it's great in circulating water, but kinda pissing some of my LPSs off

2. It takes up a lot of real estate 🙂 

Anything else I would need to keep in mind before I go for the Cobalt Mini-Mj 404? For e.g. will I need a special tubing from this return to the nozzle?

Thank you for your input! 

Yes, actually!  The tubing is a different size for the Cobalt pump as from the stock pump, well, at least the stock pump that I had received.  From checking around, it looks like they have changed the stock pump they are including...so it may or may not be the same size now.  I would just expect to have to go buy some tubing after you get everything in.

Raindog3030
On 5/31/2019 at 6:06 PM, Symbiotic said:

I just started a waterbox 4 gallon, how do you all deal with the film on top of the water?  The AIO back does not really allow for the scum to overflow.  

I replaced the stock pump in my 7g with a more powerful unit, this pushed more water into the overflow and really helped with the surface film.  Although, I would say that most systems have some sort of film on the top...at least in my personal experience.

Krish87
On 6/4/2019 at 5:43 AM, Raindog3030 said:

Yes, actually!  The tubing is a different size for the Cobalt pump as from the stock pump, well, at least the stock pump that I had received.  From checking around, it looks like they have changed the stock pump they are including...so it may or may not be the same size now.  I would just expect to have to go buy some tubing after you get everything in.

You are right. I received an Aquatop pump (as the stock). The cobalt has a 0.5" diameter if I'm not mistaken. I have a tubing that fits the 404's nozzle but the other end is way bigger for the tank's return nozzle, and that's where it gets a little tricky.

Krish87

WATERBOX CUBE 7 - ALL SET!

IMG_1628.thumb.jpeg.9bdf6ab03d9c58522db739e20e16197d.jpeg

• Like 1