Coral Vue Hydros

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

On 5/11/2017 at 10:10 AM, lkoechle said:

there is this product by brightwell I have been thinking of using.  and the make cube versions Its called Xport.  Maybe thats could be an option for your second chamber? I am thinking of trying them for mine.

I use xport in both my bigger tanks and love it. Agree with the not using rubble - and make sure whatever you use can be easily removed to siphon out detritus from the chamber. If you use the xport media you can put it in a media bag and clean it when you do water changes

• Like 3

As you may have seen from my last post or on Instagram, 10 rock anemones from @VIPReef 

www.vipreef.com 

are now in the tank! VIP did an excellent job on my order. They were Fedex'd from Miami last Thursday afternoon and at my door  in Atlanta at 8:30am on Friday. Here's how the delivery and packaging looked. 

IMG_9437.thumb.JPG.40fb830aa1e31b4ded93c72293a293fc.JPG

Foam container

IMG_9439.thumb.JPG.a23b4ffa11ee9e037095a890489bad97.JPG

Heat pack on top with packing peanuts around the bags of anemones. The container was nice and warm inside.

IMG_9441.thumb.JPG.259db17b1ad4491227afef35b7650f59.JPGIMG_9442.thumb.JPG.496212383552ccb004ab99eff9390701.JPGIMG_9443.thumb.JPG.8b5039018b4fa1dec4929148ffb32d19.JPG

Here the anemones are purging themselves of water from the bags. The next step was to get them into the tank.

IMG_9444.thumb.JPG.c5f5100ac94461ec985f672766cfd6e5.JPG

At first I tried just placing them on sand in a container but they didn't dig in and attach even after giving it some time. So then I placed them on some small rocks, which wasn't part of the original plan for the tank, and as soon as I did they attached - no wonder the name Rock Anemone! I think the small rocks still look good in the tank. 

FTS #3

IMG_9503.thumb.JPG.f1e1408342474c2ec1d2fc9468b973b0.JPG

And here are some more pics - still working on getting good ones of them all. 

IMG_9535.JPG

IMG_9536.JPG

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Very nice. I almost went with VIP RFA'S too. I still may add a 5 pack depending on whats left of the budget. Yours are all so beautiful.

Thanks! You definitely should if the budget allows.They are a huge part my budget for sure but kinda of the highlight of my tank so it's fine.

You know, considering your honeymoon theme - if you get 5, one is gonna be a third wheel! Haha!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks! You definitely should if the budget allows.They are a huge part my budget for sure but kinda of the highlight of my tank so it's fine.

You know, considering your honeymoon theme - if you get 5, one is gonna be a third wheel! Haha!

I already have one that I picked up at LFS. He is the Maitre D

• Like 2

So first the bad news. Two of the RFAs didn't last the week. From the beginning, the two seemed very different from the others and they would never really attach to anything. They would open and close but mostly stayed closed.  They would move a little each day  leaving large amounts of tissue behind. Water params were spot on all week (testing everyday) so I really don't know what I could have done differently. Such a bummer. I've e-mailed @VIPReef about it and explained what happened and sent photos. 

But the other 8 are doing great as far as I can tell with my limited experience. And here they are: 

IMG_9606.thumb.JPG.dd1dd0fe33de4d7e3060cd88dac3419b.JPG

IMG_9610.thumb.JPG.04ef9d7be335402d192d09a17ba02866.JPG

• Like 7

FTS #4

As I mentioned in the Contest FTS thread, the big change this week has been the addition of a couple of larger pieces of coralline covered live rock. I know I was going for the single rock bommie look but with the addition of the RFAs on smaller rocks I thought I might see how it looked with a couple more larger rocks in the background. This would give some additional space for the RFAS or maybe, just maybe, a blue Kenya tree or something like that. These rocks were ones from @Premiumaq that I got when I started the tank but they've been hanging out in a bucket until I figured out what I was going to do with them. So they are in the tank on a trial basis but I'm kinda liking the look. 

IMG_9605.thumb.JPG.1ea1af374163960dbf778d4537e8051f.JPG

Here's a shot of the GSP on top of the main rock. It's growing slower than I had hoped so far. Some days not many polyps make themselves seen. Gotta figure that out. 

IMG_9611.thumb.JPG.d025a005dc02177a1e4cd54ea98652a1.JPG

• Like 8

I also got a CUC from Reef Cleaners and put some in my reefbowl and the rest in the contest tank. I call this pic - Reef Cleaners Mosh Pit. Check it out @johnmaloney

IMG_9612.thumb.JPG.b3a1f5ceb82851d66eb789f0aa78fb51.JPG

And I'm still testing out this submersible light. Not sure it's going to be bright enough. Been trying out various colors. This is going on outside the contest tank. I don't think I need the chaeto in the tank yet. Water params have been good so far but that's mostly because there's not been a lot of heavy feedings.

IMG_9600.thumb.JPG.98b8df6885e2d1b94c9b7a2245613fa5.JPG

• Like 1

Bummer about the nems! :( Sounds like they were too stressed from shipping from the beginning.  Others look great though!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Sorry about your 2 nems, others look great. I haven't had much luck with GSP. Most people say it grows like a weed, but mine hasn't spread like I'd hoped.

My unmourned GSP sitting on the sand growing out opens up so much more than that on the rock. I'm thinking it gets more flow down there with the way the return nozzle is directed. I'm gonna try putting my Jaebo in the tank and direct it at the rock and try not to anger the RFAs and see if that helps. I read somewhere on here that someone lightly brushed off their GSP with a cotton swab or something similar and that helped. Let's hope something works. 

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Bummer about the nems! :( Sounds like they were too stressed from shipping from the beginning.  Others look great though!

That's what I think too - only because they acted SO different than the others and were sloughing off tissue from the start. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

My unmourned GSP sitting on the sand growing out opens up so much more than that on the rock. I'm thinking it gets more flow down there with the way the return nozzle is directed. I'm gonna try putting my Jaebo in the tank and direct it at the rock and try not to anger the RFAs and see if that helps. I read somewhere on here that someone lightly brushed off their GSP with a cotton swab or something similar and that helped. Let's hope something works. 

That's what I think too - only because they acted SO different than the others and were sloughing off tissue from the start. 

Yeah, I had to gently rub detritus off my GSP a few times when it was closed up.  It's huge and fluffy now though lol.

• Like 2
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs