SaltCritters.com

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

3 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

After the dip...and still moving around on the rock. Just tumbled to a new spot. You can see how much tissue has been lost. 

IMG_9931.thumb.JPG.436dfb563c17d0d75081c5b31e3b488b.JPG

IMG_9928.thumb.JPG.6aae0bf1630f160ef37cbd467f5870f5.JPG

This looks better than the pic I saw this morning though. 

If it's still there tomorrow morning, I'd do the dip again. 

Those 2 looked like bristleworms but it won't be the end of the world if you play it safe and don't put them back in. 

If nothing else, might give you minor peace of mind. 

• Like 4
StinkyBunny

Definitely do another iodine dip on them and keep hitting them with it if it doesn't stop. I have to go over to the farm today and I'll dig out the concentration that I use. I do them all the time, ESPECIALLY on damn Fiji yellow leather corals which get the Black Death if you don't dip them. If you have an air pump and an airstone, put it in the dipping container as well to help keep the O2 up and move water around while being dipped.

• Like 3

I did dip it yesterday but this morning it had detached from the rock and was a ball of goo on the bottom. 

June 17 

IMG_9943.PNG.b1dec0e8a39b4bc892d9719d4e4ee723.PNG

This morning - so sad. 

IMG_9944.PNG.b8decffa02c964a8bff2f583d95ea6f8.PNG

I'm determined to figure this out. And one day I'll have a tank with RFA's popping out babies. 

I appreciate everyone's advice and support. 

• Like 3
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank-RFA Struggle Bus

Sorry about that RFA, but I think that you saw this coming.  And I'm pretty sure you're not doing anything wrong.

1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

And one day I'll have a tank with RFA's popping out babies. 

I'm sure that you will. That's a great attitude to have. :)

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm so sorry you lost it.  It's so hard to feel helpless to do anything to change it!

Thank you...it is. I hope your delivery today isn't a complete disaster.  I have my fingers crossed for you.

32 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thank you...it is. I hope your delivery today isn't a complete disaster.  I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks, it means a lot!  It's supposedly been on the truck since 4:53 this morning so hopefully it'll show up sooner than later, and hopefully things will still be alive.

StinkyBunny

I use 2.5ml/litre (10ml/gal) of Seachem's Reef Dip. I've used others, but theirs is the best for Fiji Yellow leather corals, which as I eluded to earlier, are terrible shippers. They break with an infection that turns them black and it's REALLY tough to stop it once it starts. I tried the Polyp Labs stuff and it was OK, but it had no effect on The Black Death.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, seabass said:

Sorry about that RFA, but I think that you saw this coming.  And I'm pretty sure you're not doing anything wrong.

I'm sure that you will. That's a great attitude to have. :)

THIS. 

Dealing with junk like this when I first tried my hand with propagating with Zoa colonies is what led me to figuring out how to deal with all the pests & diseases that come along with them and to start a tutorial thread to help others deal with those problems as well.

Maybe you can be the person who does that with RFA's, and while it stinks now & we hate to see you dealing with it, maybe it can lead you to good places.

We can keep talking about it and coming up with ideas and approaches like we have been here til we find the right solution.

Happy 4th, go enjoy the day with your family, and when you're ready to come back & tackle this, we'll be here to help you.

• Like 8
StinkyBunny

If the tank's big enough for those that are reading, wrasses LOVE those stupid Sundial snails. Stripey will pounce on them and smash them on a rock, he loves his escargot. Stripey is a melanurus wrasse and they seem to do pretty well in smaller tanks. He'll hover over something that he knows has food in it, sort of like a pointing dog until I move the rock for him to get at what he smells in there.

Thanks @Weetabix7 !

It's definitely going to lead to good places at some point despite the high frustration level.

I'm learning a lot, keeping a journal, capturing all the advice and tips I get, and I am determined to be successful. 

I think you have a great idea and I'd love to be able to give back to the community in that way once I've got a lot more experience and developed some credibility. 

Happy 4th everyone!! 

2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

If the tank's big enough for those that are reading, wrasses LOVE those stupid Sundial snails. Stripey will pounce on them and smash them on a rock, he loves his escargot. Stripey is a melanurus wrasse and they seem to do pretty well in smaller tanks. He'll hover over something that he knows has food in it, sort of like a pointing dog until I move the rock for him to get at what he smells in there.

Maybe you meant this for another thread??

• Like 2

FTS #8 - finally getting caught up on my own thread.

IMG_9966.thumb.JPG.0cf9f5bb14e158bd44be9e8e72ae9bca.JPG

Top down shot:

IMG_9967.thumb.JPG.2cf038fd7a96af615db8bdbeb46ccdcf.JPG

The largest crab molted this past week. Now he only has one claw - left the other one behind. Will it grow back?? 

IMG_9968.PNG.91246e12cf8695b53a75e592e4b9ff96.PNG

• Like 6

Heck, if VIP won't fix it (and I'll be very, very surprised if they don't), I'll GIVE you a couple of the 9-month old baby anemones I've got here in my tank.  Just watching how hard you've tried to revive the couple you've had succumb tells me volumes about how much you care for the creatures in your tank.

Plus I'd hate for you to get frustrated and lose joy in the hobby.  PM me sometime after the holiday week and we''l see what can be worked out... you're local, so hey, no shipping stress! ;)

• Like 11
StinkyBunny
6 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks @Weetabix7 !

It's definitely going to lead to good places at some point despite the high frustration level.

I'm learning a lot, keeping a journal, capturing all the advice and tips I get, and I am determined to be successful. 

I think you have a great idea and I'd love to be able to give back to the community in that way once I've got a lot more experience and developed some credibility. 

Happy 4th everyone!! 

Maybe you meant this for another thread??

Nope, that was aimed @Weetabix.  You'll figure it out, anemones are fickle creatures.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BulkRate said:

Heck, if VIP won't fix it (and I'll be very, very surprised if they don't), I'll GIVE you a couple of the 9-month old baby anemones I've got here in my tank.  Just watching how hard you've tried to revive the couple you've had succumb tells me volumes about how much you care for the creatures in your tank.

Plus I'd hate for you to get frustrated and lose joy in the hobby.  PM me sometime after the holiday week and we''l see what can be worked out... you're local, so hey, no shipping stress! ;)

Wow BulkRate! That is so generous and so I'm very grateful for the offer and for fellow reefers like you. That's why this is communtiy so amazing!

As you could expect, I'm more than a little hesitant to put any more RFAs in the tank right now-especially babies without knowing what's going on.

How about we give it a few weeks and see how things progress with the 4 that are left and if things are going good then consider it? 

I REALLY do appreciate the offer and I'm hoping to take you up on it. 

I'm going to e-mail Frank at VIP as well and update him with what's going on.., although he's checked out my thread in the past so he may already know. 

• Like 9

I took a few days away form Nano Reef and I'm so sad to hear you lost another anemone! :(

I really wish I knew what else you could do to help keep them happy and healthy, but it looks like you are making the best effort you can! :flower:

• Like 4
On 7/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, SeaFurn said:

I did dip it yesterday but this morning it had detached from the rock and was a ball of goo on the bottom. 

June 17 

IMG_9943.PNG.b1dec0e8a39b4bc892d9719d4e4ee723.PNG

This morning - so sad. 

IMG_9944.PNG.b8decffa02c964a8bff2f583d95ea6f8.PNG

I'm determined to figure this out. And one day I'll have a tank with RFA's popping out babies. 

I appreciate everyone's advice and support. 

Talk to Frank at VIP - he might have some ideas. That's exactly what mine would do :( 

• Like 5

I think those are snail eggs on the glass (seen at the very beginning). I have several lines of them like that on the tank glass. 

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I think those are snail eggs on the glass (seen at the very beginning). I have several lines of them like that on the tank glass. 

Yup, they are!!

Cerith, I think. 

• Like 5

So during today's water change I took out the round rock that the last two anemones had been on or around before their demise. I put it in RODI to see if anything would come out and sure enough a couple of these shrimp like things jetted out. Are they bad? Could these have been irritating the RFAs? 

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.cf257397d068c46b1dba4a1a306a106b.JPG

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

So during today's water change I took out the round rock that the last two anemones had been on or around before their demise. I put it in RODI to see if anything would come out and sure enough a couple of these shrimp like things jetted out. Are they bad? Could these have been irritating the RFAs? 

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.cf257397d068c46b1dba4a1a306a106b.JPG

Looks kinda like a Gammarus Amphipod to me. 

Google pics of those and see if it matches. 

Those are usually harmless. 

I have them in my Waterfall with my RFA and they've never bothered it. 

There's lots of them in the compartment it's in. 

• Like 4
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs