Cultivated Reef

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Kind of as I was having issues with the sand and really was tired of dealing with the tank.......

These AIO tanks can kick your arse.................

Ok, I'm curious, what was your problem with the sand?

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

These AIO tanks can kick your arse.................

Well that's inspiring...just as I'm about to put a few fish, a handful of RFA's, and some fast growing GSP into an AIO with one ROCK and loud pump!  :unsure:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Ok, I'm curious, what was your problem with the sand?

Not really sure. I purchased some sand and well it was crap so sucked it all out and put in Fiji pink and even then I would still get crap all over he sand......not sure if it was not enough flow or what.

• Like 1

Been travelling for work the past few days so not much new. I had my wife top off the tank while I while I was gone....she was like - "how many times do I have to do this"?? #WIFENOTAFAN

#JUSTIFICATIONFOR-A-T-O?? 

#MAKETHEKIDSDOTHATNEXTTIME  

#WHENDOYOUTRAVELAGAIN?

I did move some GSP frags from the reef bowl to the tank on Saturday. Will get them mounted on the rock this weekend.  Put an Astrea snail in there as test - he's still alive and all the params are good so that bodes well for a fish soon.  Saw a small clown pair at the LFS this weekend.  So cute and was so tempted but my initial plan only included one....hmm....change the plan?  We'll see how I feel this weekend.  

What do you all think about Radial Filefish?  Some filefish eat aptasia....and Live Aquaria says they nip at corals....would they be OK with RFA's?  I think they are a cool fish. 

Think I'm going to shoot for stocking 5 RFA's at a time and then let them get stretched out and settled in before adding another batch. Also need to make sure the tank can handle it.  Looking at the week of Memorial Day to get the first batch!  

Will get this week's FTS posted Friday or Saturday. 

• Like 8

The radial filefish are cool. I had an ORA radial in my 40 and it didn't bother a coral one......didn't eat aptasia either :lol: only thing I see is this 14 gallon tank is well small......so a nano fish is needed.....goby/shrimp pair or something along those lines. A pair of small clowns would probably be ok as they stick to one spot.

• Like 2

Replacement pump is here! The loud grinding sound is gone and only some vibration remains. What a difference!

Wanted to point out a difference with this pump and the original that I noticed. I'm not sure this has anything to do with the pump being loud or if it's even supposed to be this way but wondering if other's pumps are the same.

The picture below is of the replacement pump. You'll see the white rod that goes through the magnent/impeller is split in two. Part of it is inside the pump and part of it is in the housing piece. Is it broken or meant to be this way?

In the original pump, that rod is one long piece extending out from just the pump. I have to seat the end of the rod into the housing. 

Regardless, I can survive 100 days with this replacement pump!

IMG_9366.thumb.JPG.6e01c7f4f5b4a473118f668e740e376c.JPG

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Replacement pump is here! The loud grinding sound is gone and only some vibration remains. What a difference!

Wanted to point out a difference with this pump and the original that I noticed. I'm not sure this has anything to do with the pump being loud or if it's even supposed to be this way but wondering if other's pumps are the same.

The picture below is of the replacement pump. You'll see the white rod that goes through the magnent/impeller is split in two. Part of it is inside the pump and part of it is in the housing piece. Is it broken or meant to be this way?

In the original pump, that rod is one long piece extending out from just the pump. I have to seat the end of the rod into the housing. 

Do the rods connect?

3 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Do the rods connect?

They probably touch end to end when the housing is twisted in place. I'm thinking it gives the magnent an axis to spin around and one for the spinning impeller as well which gives it a little room to move so it doesn't hit the sides of housing in any way. If that makes sense. 

But that's just a guess....

MaineReefkeeper
37 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Something seems a little off here. How does the shaft connect? And if it doesn't how does it even work?

Also doing a little "off line" experiment with a submersible cheato light right now. This one fits nicely in the 2nd chamber.  If it works, it could turn the entire chamber into a macroalgae reactor. Will keep you posted. 

IMG_9372.thumb.JPG.c610a79e8ab91c70af14e250c9fc1366.JPG

• Like 6
1 minute ago, MaineReefkeeper said:

Something seems a little off here. How does the shaft connect? And if it doesn't how does it even work?

It obviously doesn't completely connect but it's solid enough that the whole thing spins around it. That's why I wondered if it was actually broken or intentionally that way. 

Only thing I have to compare it to is the one in the loud pump. 

6 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Also doing a little "off line" experiment with a submersible cheato light right now. This one fits nicely in the 2nd chamber.  If it works, it could turn the entire chamber into a macroalgae reactor. Will keep you posted. 

IMG_9372.thumb.JPG.c610a79e8ab91c70af14e250c9fc1366.JPG

Hmmm, this has potential.....

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hmmm, this has potential.....

It might. It gives off no heat. Need to make sure it's bright enough and  that I can dial in the right spectrum for the chaeto. 

coralcousins
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

That rod is broken. It's supposed to be one whole piece. ? I wonder if I should break mine to make it less loud lol 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

That rod is broken. It's supposed to be one whole piece. ? I wonder if I should break mine to make it less loud lol 

Thanks! I thought it might be. 

No! Don't do that. Although I can see how that sound would drive you to do it!

FTS #2 

Flipped the rock to opposite side-it's more interesting. Cut up some frags of GSP and mounted them in various spots on top of the rock. Left one frag in the sand to grow a little bit and then I'll cut pieces from that to seed other bare spots on the rock. Grow GSP grow! 

Have a couple more astrea snails cleaning things up. Also have lots of copepods all over the glass. 

Hitting the LFS tomorrow! We'll see  what they have! 

IMG_9384.thumb.JPG.90b020cd9302c729b1d89c0d467b6f66.JPG

These are the frags I cut up. I've also been coloring up some rubble that I may use when the RFAs arrive. 

IMG_9368.thumb.JPG.0124661b13b984d29bd62e030754c93d.JPG

• Like 4

I have a big gsp mat that I was going to bring to you.  Well not big, but longer than a dollar.  I was going to cut in half so you could have some.  I'm going to catoosa county memorial day weekend.  But my mom won't make any side trips.  I don't blame her, she's driving (I hate driving) and she has to go an extra two hours out of the way to get me in Jacksonville.

I'm taking a break from kids.  Most of our family's in Ringgold.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I have a big gsp mat that I was going to bring to you.  Well not big, but longer than a dollar.  I was going to cut in half so you could have some.  I'm going to catoosa county memorial day weekend.  But my mom won't make any side trips.  I don't blame her, she's driving (I hate driving) and she has to go an extra two hours out of the way to get me in Jacksonville.

I'm taking a break from kids.  Most of our family's in Ringgold.

Oh thanks for thinking of me! I can totally understand no extra side trips in that case. It's nice you'll be getting a break from the kiddos! 

I know GSP grows fast but I'm just not sure my little pieces will grow fast enough. I may have to hit you up for the half mat near the end of the 100 days if if I don't get the coverage I'm after. 

Your live rock and hitchhikers are killer btw! The tanks are already amazing! And your write-ups, research, and photos are fantastic! Keep it up! Like someone else already mentioned - all of us other contestants are finished just as we got started! 

I'm still learning a lot as I go and I'm excited about what I'm going to be able to create. Can't wait to get some fish and the RFA's! 

Didn't make it to the LFS last weekend and have been traveling for work again this week and getting ready for my son's HS graduation (tomorrow!) and party (Saturday)....so not much new other than the first batch of RFAs for the garden arrive Friday!!

So will hold off on this week's FTS until this weekend again. 

Still amazed at how much evaporation there is with these tanks.

• Like 5
Coral_chef
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Still amazed at how much evaporation there is with these tanks.

Mine went through almost 5 gallons of ro in 2 weeks 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Friday, Friday, FRIDAY!

Totally read that in Monster Truck Rally announcers voice! 

38 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Insane! 

• Like 1
Coral_chef
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Totally read that in Monster Truck Rally announcers voice! 

Insane! 

I do have a decent amount of surface agitation with my return though. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

My big tank goes through that in a day :lol: 

I was actually impressed as I only have about 1 1/2 gallons in my ATO bucket for the little tank.

• Like 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs