ReefCleaners.org

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

Love the plan!  I had thought about doing RFA's and gorgs in this tank, and wanted to put sexy shrimp in there (figured RFA's would be pretty safe from them lol).

• Like 5
5 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Very interesting plan!  I am interested to see how super minimal turns out!

Yeah, I will say that I'm a little concerned that there's not enough rock given the plan for fish and RFAs and the amount of feeding that will require. That's why I'm going to add rubble and cheato in the second chamber, watch the amount I feed, and keep up with the water changes/detritus removal.  Will be adding livestock slowly to make sure the system can handle it.

The one rock that's in there has some depth to it and is pretty porous.  Plus I have some nice smalll corraline covered rubble that I'll put into the display when adding the RFA's.  Granted I know they may not stay attached to them but there will be a little more rock in there at 100 days.  

If you've got any other ideas or thoughts let me know! 

1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah, I will say that I'm a little concerned that there's not enough rock given the plan for fish and RFAs and the amount of feeding that will require. That's why I'm going to add rubble and cheato in the second chamber, watch the amount I feed, and keep up with the water changes/detritus removal.  Will be adding livestock slowly to make sure the system can handle it.

The one rock that's in there has some depth to it and is pretty porous.  Plus I have some nice smalll corraline covered rubble that I'll put into the display when adding the RFA's.  Granted I know they may not stay attached to them but there will be a little more rock in there at 100 days.  

If you've got any other ideas or thoughts let me know! 

there is this product by brightwell I have been thinking of using.  and the make cube versions Its called Xport.  Maybe thats could be an option for your second chamber? I am thinking of trying them for mine.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Love the plan!  I had thought about doing RFA's and gorgs in this tank, and wanted to put sexy shrimp in there (figured RFA's would be pretty safe from them lol).

That would have been cool!  I definitely know NO PEPPERMINT SHRIMP with RFA's but I think sexys would be fine. I'm going with spotted anemone shrimp I think. The one I had in the reefbowl was cool. Need to do a little more research on porcelain anemone crabs.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

That would have been cool!  I definitely know NO PEPPERMINT SHRIMP with RFA's but I think sexys would be fine. I'm going with spotted anemone shrimp I think. The one I had in the reefbowl was cool. Need to do a little more research on porcelain anemone crabs.

Porcelain anemone crabs are gorgeous, I'd love to have one!  I'm gonna go with "no pep shrimps period" cuz they preferred my zoa skirts to the aiptasia I bought them for lol.  Spotted anemone shrimp would be super cool too.

I had sexies for a short time years ago and loved them but now am hesitant to put them in a tank with corals I want to keep since I've read about them possibly munching on them.  Figured RFA's would prob do alright with them.  Of course, I'm now a bit leery of pom pom crabs too lol.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Of course, I'm now a bit leery of pom pom crabs too lol.

Yeah, after that brute beat up on Shelby I totally understand that! 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah, after that brute beat up on Shelby I totally understand that! 

Haha after I took the one back to the store and the other one started dying, I realized...Shelby WAS the brute! :o

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

there is this product by brightwell I have been thinking of using.  and the make cube versions Its called Xport.  Maybe thats could be an option for your second chamber? I am thinking of trying them for mine.

Yeah, I've seen that and thought about it too since it's has more surface area for bacteria for the equivalent amount of rock.

Right now I've got a bunch of rubble size BRS Reef Saver dry rock cycling in a bucket and will try that first. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

My pom pom is holding her own, I guess! She's in a tank with a neon dottyback so I suppose she'd have to :P 

Hmmm...note to self: no neon dottybacks....  haha!

Here's what's on my fish list - need to do a little more research to narrow it down and decide.  I think these are "newb appropriate", active and colorful. 

Clown - my wife's fav on the iist

Royal gramma

Pink streaked wrasse

Midas blenny - although not sure 14g is big enough; and they can nip at firefish and gobies

Purple firefish

Tailspot blenny 

Watchman goby - although not sure I want a bottom of the tank fish 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, spectra said:

Hopefully you shimmed your light to..............it wasn't level either :lol: I am going to police the shit out of the not level lights...................

#lightpolice I like it!

13 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

No shim! It's pretty level officer.  And by rock work - you mean ONE ROCK.  You called it a couple of days ago.

FTS 5/10/17 - a couple of hours after getting the tank wet.

IMG_9318.thumb.JPG.51ade7ccad13fa3ec59bc178c2032d71.JPG

First post updated with THE PLAN btw.  (Page 1 that is.)

A bommie! :wub:

A royal gramma gets really big. My old guy certainly is. And he digs worse than some pistols. Scoops up sand and spits it in the current and there is sand EVERYWHERE. Honestly he's a bit nuts.

• Like 3
MaineReefkeeper
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Hmmm...note to self: no neon dottybacks....  haha!

Here's what's on my fish list - need to do a little more research to narrow it down and decide.  I think these are "newb appropriate", active and colorful. 

Clown - my wife's fav on the iist

Royal gramma

Pink streaked wrasse

Midas blenny - although not sure 14g is big enough; and they can nip at firefish and gobies

Purple firefish

Tailspot blenny 

Watchman goby - although not sure I want a bottom of the tank fish 

Tailspot Blenny! They have such cool personalities 

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

#lightpolice I like it!

A bommie! :wub:

A royal gramma gets really big. My old guy certainly is. And he digs worse than some pistols. Scoops up sand and spits it in the current and there is sand EVERYWHERE. Honestly he's a bit nuts.

Old and eccentric? :lol:

• Like 2

Day 2 and I'm not so sure about this manual top business!  I realize it's no surprise to the rest of you, but there's a lot of evaporation with these open tops!  No wonder y'all use ATOs!  

Is topping off once per day going to be enough?  I guess I'm going to have to see how much the salinity changes over the course of a day. 

Also, when full, I've got the water level an inch below the last baffle but when it starts to drop below that, the water falling from the 2nd chamber causes air bubbles to occur in the 3rd and then the (LOUD) pump shoots them into the tank. Anyone else experience that?

36 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 2 and I'm not so sure about this manual top business!  I realize it's no surprise to the rest of you, but there's a lot of evaporation with these open tops!  No wonder y'all use ATOs!  

Is topping off once per day going to be enough?  I guess I'm going to have to see how much the salinity changes over the course of a day. 

Also, when full, I've got the water level an inch below the last baffle but when it starts to drop below that, the water falling from the 2nd chamber causes air bubbles to occur in the 3rd and then the (LOUD) pump shoots them into the tank. Anyone else experience that?

You want it about a 1/2 inch below the baffle.  I had to top off 4 times yesterday before I installed the ato and thata about how often I had to do the 25.  My biggest concern would be the pump running dry.  I definitely think you'd need top off at least 2 a day.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

You want it about a 1/2 inch below the baffle.  I had to top off 4 times yesterday before I installed the ato and thata about how often I had to do the 25.  My biggest concern would be the pump running dry.  I definitely think you'd need top off at least 2 a day.

Thanks for the tip...I raised the water to 1/2" below the baffle.  I think you're right -at least top off twice per day.  It may be more like 3 times - before work, when I get home, and before bed.  

32 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Guess it's time to pick up an ATO for me! :P 

We'll see how long I last or I'm right there with ya.

• Like 3

This tank is not much bigger than the 10 and I manually topped off my 10. It sucks and looking for an ATO but the one I want is 130 bucks........I bought the fist one used and well it was a bargain......

What ATO have you picked out ?

1 hour ago, spectra said:

This tank is not much bigger than the 10 and I manually topped off my 10. It sucks and looking for an ATO but the one I want is 130 bucks........I bought the fist one used and well it was a bargain......

What ATO have you picked out ?

I haven't even looked into an ATO yet. I've got a list of the ones people have recommended somewhere. Still gonna try the manual method first. 

Which one do you want to get?  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I haven't even looked into an ATO yet. I've got a list of the ones people have recommended somewhere. Still gonna try the manual method first. 

Which one do you want to get?  

I have the smart ato nano http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12118-FIDPAT-vi.html I love it and how small it is......bought it used from a local reefer and has worked really well for me. I want another one but the price is nuts.......it used to be 99 at times on sale and well have not seen that price in a while......

1 hour ago, spectra said:

I have the smart ato nano http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12118-FIDPAT-vi.html I love it and how small it is......bought it used from a local reefer and has worked really well for me. I want another one but the price is nuts.......it used to be 99 at times on sale and well have not seen that price in a while......

That one looks nice...but yeah, 135.  I got RFA's to buy remember...cha ching.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

That one looks nice...but yeah, 135.  I got RFA's to buy remember...cha ching.  

Well if you were local to me I could have hooked you up :lol: my RFA tank I had well I said screw it pulled the rock and just sold them all at once........instant tank for someone.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Well if you were local to me I could have hooked you up :lol: my RFA tank I had well I said screw it pulled the rock and just sold them all at once........instant tank for someone.

Lucky someone!  Did you just get bored with the tank?

2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Lucky someone!  Did you just get bored with the tank?

Kind of as I was having issues with the sand and really was tired of dealing with the tank.......

These AIO tanks can kick your arse.................

• SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs