inTank Media Baskets

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

Another molt last night and the missing claw is back!

Still freaks me out to walk in in the morning by and see a body laying in the sand. Have to do a quick check and make sure the other is still alive.

IMG_0284.thumb.JPG.84a01999b1b88e249afd1a2e57504298.JPG

• Like 8

This is FTS #13...had already posted it on the FTS thread last week but wanted it here as well. 

IMG_0345.thumb.JPG.a25ee6c951c879d4605d937f12cb96e3.JPG

IMG_0346.thumb.JPG.a4fa4ca5bbadf1a4dc182a6ef70a8e79.JPG

Been setting bristle/fireworm traps all week as a precautionary measure and in preparation for the Grand Finale!

No captures so far which I guess is a good thing.  :unsure:

Stay tuned! 

• Like 9

All the coralline is awesome.  And the remaining RFAs really look like they are doing quite well.  Congratulations on this tank coming together!

• Like 1

Grande Finale sneak peak! 

This pic is from yesterday.

@BulkRate came over today and picked up one RFA from the VIP order and gave me a lot of great advice. 

Then I spent this evening getting them into the display but ran out of lights on time before I could get FTS 14 taken.  

They are already on the move so who knows where they'll be tomorrow.  :(IMG_0409.thumb.JPG.1f31c385555ebf3f0340bacc48765a5f.JPG

• Like 9
  • Wow 2

Posted this on the contest FTS thread earlier but wanted it here too.

FTS #14

Rock Flower Garden Complete! 

8 new RFA's! Can you spot them?

They look fantastic under the actinics. 

I'm happy with the way the tank has tuned out despite the struggles. Let's hope it goes well from here on out! fingerscrossed

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.6e527280d2dfb1203e9a922c5616ced6.JPG

Amazing that I got these two clowns to stop swimming and pose for a picture! :lol:

We've been calling them Bonnie and Clyde around here so I guess we'll make it official! 

IMG_0450.thumb.JPG.1684079d127419eed613027f6ae13a58.JPG

The entire tank-

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.ea997f2fe08281c784fd8ee9358f6a30.JPG

Since I added the new RFAs the crabs are inseparable. And yesterday they were cleaning each other. 

I am concerned about the RFA in the left rear corner. Its foot looked red and damanged when I got it. It somewhat attached to the basket as it was acclimating and it's somewhat attached to the rock here but all day long it's been deteriorating. Don't have a good feeling about it. 

One other one from the order didn't even make it into the display. Same situation with its foot. You can see it in top right corner of the basket in the sneak peak picture above. It never attached to acclimation basket at all. I called VIP about it but there's not really much you can do. Kind of a bummer because even in its shrunken state it had some really nice color which @BulkRate can attest to. 

Ended up skipping the normal  Saturday water change as I was acclimating them but I did change maybe a gallon out tonight because I'm OCD that way and it was gonna bother me until I did. I know it probably would have been fine until next Saturday....

How many water changes has @spectra done on his contest tank so far-maybe 2? @metrokat maybe there should be a prize for fewest water changes? 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Your correct there...............2 but Mariaface I think has 2 also :lol: with all the macro I have it doesn't matter. I feed probably 15 pieces of small Mysis and well only one fish and a shrimp in there.

You tank looks good!

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I'm happy with the way the tank has tuned out despite the struggles.

I'm glad.  I was worried that you were getting too frustrated with your early losses.  The tank has really shaped up into something you can be proud of.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm glad.  I was worried that you were getting too frustrated with your early losses.  The tank has really shaped up into something you can be proud of.

Yep, this exactly. 

3 hours ago, seabass said:

19 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yep, this exactly. 

I have to admit there was a span of a couple weeks where I was pretty frustrated and it wasn't enjoyable.  I'm not quitter for sure, but I was very appreciative of the encouragement and advice from all of you here and that helped motivate me to push on. 

It is clear that experience and knowing what to expect in certain situations helps.  For example, with this order of RFA's, there were two that didn't last more than a couple days. Based on previous experience now, I know it's nothing I've done or could have prevented by doing something differently after I received them, so I'm not freaking out about it. 

ALTHOUGH, on my way out the door this morning I checked on the tank, topped off the water, etc and noticed one of the RFAs that had wedged itself in the rocks and is barely visible in the pics above had moved - AND I COULDN'T FIND IT! Now, I didn't spend much time looking for it, and didn't turn all the lights on but WTH?

I've read on plenty of threads where people can't find something in their tank but that has never happened to me.   So the entire time on the train this morning I'm like where did that nem go??!!  Always an adventure!       

• Like 3

Hi there

Almost time for the contest end in FOUR DAYS!!

Please post some pictures and a final FTS whenever you get a chance along with your challenges and observations.

Any equipment feedback would be great too.

And a summary of livestock with prices

Thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

So the entire time on the train this morning I'm like where did that nem go??!!

Just as long as it doesn't get caught in a powerhead or filter intake, it should be OK.  It probably just moved.  Could be on the back of a rock or even underneath something.  However, I have had to reorient rocks (and even move anemones) to get them back into the light.  I've had rare occasions  where one has moved under a ledge and started getting pale because it wasn't getting enough light.  While they often try to move to a more favorable spot, they don't always know what's best for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, metrokat said:

Hi there

Almost time for the contest end in FOUR DAYS!!

Please post some pictures and a final FTS whenever you get a chance along with your challenges and observations.

Any equipment feedback would be great too.

And a summary of livestock with prices

Thanks

I'm waiting for all the positive feedback on the stock pump. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Do any of us really know what's best for us?

I do!  Good food, and coffee!

• Haha 2

I once visited a coffee plantation in Costa Rica and they had little carafes set up all over with their own roasts, the best was the peaberry blend they had.  Yummmm!!!  Also got to try raw cacao on the trip.  Also yum!

• Like 1

Well, I found the nem last night after work.  Almost right where I had left it but it had folded itself into a taco and wedged itself so far under the rock I couldn't see it.  It's still wedged in there and pretty shrunken down -tentacles and all.  I'm not gonna mess with it and hopefully in a couple days it stretches itself out or opens up again - or moves.  

Now to start working on my final contest posts....

• Like 2
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs