Top Shelf Aquatics

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

First fire worms and now this -

some kind of sea spider.

Saw it in my tank about a week ago and was fortunate enough to get a pic before it literally jumped off the rock and swung under it just like it was attached to some kind of spider man web. Crazy!

@StinkyBunny says to KILL IT WITH FIRE!

@seabass sent me a link to info on these interesting little creatures. 

I haven't seen it since and I have no idea how I'm gonna catch it. It's very tiny. I guess I will have to go into :ninja: mode. If anyone has any tips let me know! 

IMG_0931.thumb.PNG.9c27a1a06267d48458c379e8478069f1.PNG

How did it get in there??

I don't really know any good tips to get rid of your sea spider.  I'm not even sure that it would be drawn to bait.  They will probably feed on inverts (coral, clams, worms, etc), maybe even RFAs.  If the rock that it hides in isn't part of an elaborate aquascape, you might be able to remove the rock and put it in a bucket, where it might be easier to deal with.  There are various ways to try to draw out predators.  Some of them are not very friendly to coral, anemones, or other livestock (like hyposalinity, hypersalinity, or a peroxide dip).  If you know which hole it went into, you might be able to do something more localized (like using a turkey baster to squirt in RO/DI water.  I know that I split a rock in half to remove a rouge crab once.  Good luck with that. :)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't really know any good tips to get rid of your sea spider.  I'm not even sure that it would be drawn to bait.  They will probably feed on inverts (coral, clams, worms, etc), maybe even RFAs.  If the rock that it hides in isn't part of an elaborate aquascape, you might be able to remove the rock and put it in a bucket, where it might be easier to deal with.  There are various ways to try to draw out predators.  Some of them are not very friendly to coral, anemones, or other livestock (like hyposalinity, hypersalinity, or a peroxide dip).  If you know which hole it went into, you might be able to do something more localized (like using a turkey baster to squirt in RO/DI water.  I know that I split a rock in half to remove a rouge crab once.  Good luck with that. :)

When looking at the picture of the tank above, the spider was on the rock in the rear right corner. I'll try rotating it dipping it in RO/DI up to the RFA's but that little thing could be anywhere.  :angry:

That looks like wild collected Fiji live rock. Have I ever told you why I don't use Fiji live rock unless it's dried? Sea Spiders, the stuff is alive with the damn things, not so for Indo live rock. There are aquatic etymology boards that might help with an ID and what it feeds on. They generally don't stray too far from the rock they're on, especially if their preferred food source is there. Get a red flashlight to aid in night hunting and a good pair of tweezers.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

That looks like wild collected Fiji live rock. Have I ever told you why I don't use Fiji live rock unless it's dried? Sea Spiders, the stuff is alive with the damn things, not so for Indo live rock. There are aquatic etymology boards that might help with an ID and what it feeds on. They generally don't stray too far from the rock they're on, especially if their preferred food source is there. Get a red flashlight to aid in night hunting and a good pair of tweezers.

Note to self: Indo live rock next time.  :blink:

Is that Indo live rock in your new 80?

59 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Note to self: Indo live rock next time.  :blink:

Is that Indo live rock in your new 80?

Yep, I have 10 more boxes coming this week and 8 of them are already sold. I love Walt Smith's livestock, just not the live rock from there. The dried slab and branch are fine, the Pukani is loaded with sponges and if you don't clean them, you're in for a VERY BAD start of your reef tank. I steer new reefers away from it just for that reason. The Caribbean live rock is sold stuff too. I've seen gobs of dead Sea Spiders in the bottom of Pukani boat rock boxes.

We need to figure out what it is and what it's eating. Some are harmless sponge eaters and others feed on corals. If it's a sponge eater, no need to worry, kill it when you can. If it's a coral eater, we need to mobilize, send in The Rangers and exterminate with EXTREME prejudice. I've used this trick a few times, if you're sensitive to killing things, time to stop reading NOW.

Take all the good stuff off that rock and put it in a large bag in a dark place, sealed, for a few hours, up to 24 is OK. Try to support it so stuff that falls out stays out, use a frag rack with something to support the rock off the surface a few inches. I'll show you why 24 hours is OK in my thread later tonight. A few months ago something really cool started growing out of one of the rocks I got in from Indonesia.

• Like 2

soooo creepy!-and cool.   If it isn't eating anything important I would let it stay but then again I don't know if I could sleep at night knowing it's crawling around in there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

soooo creepy!-and cool.   If it isn't eating anything important I would let it stay but then again I don't know if I could sleep at night knowing it's crawling around in there!

It's totally creepy! :scarry: 

I'd really like to catch it and take video of it before I BURN IT WITH FIRE!!! :rant: But I'll settle for squishing right in the tank if I ever see it again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

8 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Have I ever told you why I don't use Fiji live rock unless it's dried? Sea Spiders

WTF? Oh Heeeeeeeeeell no!! I thought my polyclad flatworm was bad... :eek:

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Where did you GET this rock?!

Good luck!!

Premium Aquatics!

Hey @ReefNewby82 what's the return policy on live rock?? :lol: 

Just kidding! 

6 hours ago, spectra said:

I want to see a pic of its web :lol: wonder if it could catch a clown fish :unsure:

:lol::lol: -  IF I ever see a web this tank is getting nuked! 

I think it's killing snails. I've pulled out 4 dead ones. Either that or my tank is still too clean. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 10/14/2017 at 8:43 AM, SeaFurn said:

First fire worms and now this -

some kind of sea spider.

Saw it in my tank about a week ago and was fortunate enough to get a pic before it literally jumped off the rock and swung under it just like it was attached to some kind of spider man web. Crazy!

@StinkyBunny says to KILL IT WITH FIRE!

@seabass sent me a link to info on these interesting little creatures. 

I haven't seen it since and I have no idea how I'm gonna catch it. It's very tiny. I guess I will have to go into :ninja: mode. If anyone has any tips let me know! 

Oh gawd no.  Looks like a wolf spider :scarry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've seen some crazy stuff on live rock, but that's about the craziest. I would not want that in my tank. On the flip side, since you already have a spider, you can add a Jack O' Lantern Leptoseris, some Halloween crabs and you've got yourself a perfect time of the season Halloween tank. :D 

• Haha 6
3 hours ago, tmc1313 said:

I've seen some crazy stuff on live rock, but that's about the craziest. I would not want that in my tank. On the flip side, since you already have a spider, you can add a Jack O' Lantern Leptoseris, some Halloween crabs and you've got yourself a perfect time of the season Halloween tank. :D 

LMFAOPIMP!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Big news!  I have baby nems!  I spotted them this evening.  I've found 4 so far. 3 are on the rocks and one was on the sand bed and I was able to get into a container which is now hanging inside the tank.  3 of them already have color and one is as white as the snow - it must have just been born.

They are SOOO tiny.  I did a water change today and I'm hoping I didn't siphon any up. :unsure: 

I've got phytoplankton and freshly hatched artemia on hand ready to go.  I'll try to feed them twice per day and I'll keep my open for any more.  

My large green nem (front left corner) still looks like she's bursting at the seams so maybe there's more on the way. I think the other mother is the big one in the rear right (FTS below). 

Here are the first pics - sorry for the low quality.

The white one - 

38319147666_e3646fda42_b.jpg

The white one under the blues.  For reference the one is't next to is about 3-4" in diameter. 

38343956692_8c863759ff_b.jpg

Another one that's on the rock- 

Baby Nems!

Under the blues - it's bright red

38374050671_b32f9075de_b.jpg

This one I was able to pluck off the sand and get it into a container - 

38374118991_537373a617_b.jpg

FTS from yesterday - 

38374704061_601691c0ec_b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank - BABY NEMS!!!!
25 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Big news!  I have baby nems!  I spotted them this evening.  I've found 4 so far. 3 are on the rocks and one was on the sand bed and I was able to get into a container which is now hanging inside the tank.  3 of them already have color and one is as white as the snow - it must have just been born.

They are SOOO tiny.  I did a water change today and I'm hoping I didn't siphon any up. :unsure: 

I've got phytoplankton and freshly hatched artemia on hand ready to go.  I'll try to feed them twice per day and I'll keep my open for any more.  

My large green nem (front left corner) still looks like she's bursting at the seams so maybe there's more on the way. I think the other mother is the big one in the rear right (FTS below). 

Here are the first pics - sorry for the low quality.

The white one - 

38319147666_e3646fda42_b.jpg

The white one under the blues.  For reference the one is't next to is about 3-4" in diameter. 

38343956692_8c863759ff_b.jpg

Another one that's on the rock- 

Baby Nems!

Under the blues - it's bright red

38374050671_b32f9075de_b.jpg

This one I was able to pluck off the sand and get it into a container - 

38374118991_537373a617_b.jpg

FTS from yesterday - 

38374704061_601691c0ec_b.jpg

That’s awesome! :happydance:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

I did a water change today and I'm hoping I didn't siphon any up. :unsure: 

The first group of RFA babies I ever had (many years ago) were from a 150 gallon tank.  I had just recently gone through a flatworm bloom.  I didn't really look very close but noticed hundreds of tiny specs.  I proceeded to siphon out as many as I could.  It was only later that I realized that they were RFA babies.  Before this, I didn't know they had babies.  Less than a dozen were saved that time.  Unfortunately I never saw that many babies ever again.

• Sad 3
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

The first group of RFA babies I ever had (many years ago) were from a 150 gallon tank.  I had just recently gone through a flatworm bloom.  I didn't really look very close but noticed hundreds of tiny specs.  I proceeded to siphon out as many as I could.  It was only later that I realized that they were RFA babies.  Before this, I didn't know they had babies.  Less than a dozen were saved that time.  Unfortunately I never saw that many babies ever again.

See if you can get a Springers damsel, they'll decimate flatworms.

• SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs