ReefCleaners.org

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

@jedimasterben @metrokat

Would a HOB refugium still be with in the rules? Like the one from CPR? Just thinking of ways to increase copepod population. 

8 hours ago, coralcousins said:

Deciding on a heater. Not sure which one though ? I'm looking at the cobalt easy-therm 50 watt. 

The cobalt Heaters seem like solid heaters. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben
7 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

@jedimasterben @metrokat

Would a HOB refugium still be with in the rules? Like the one from CPR? Just thinking of ways to increase copepod population. 

I say no - it will add a pretty significant amount of water volume to the tank. I added a little over 10 gallons of water to my tank after accounting for sand, rock, and the fact that a 14 gallon tank doesn't actually hold 14 gallons internally without overflowing lol. The CPR Aquafuge2 small comes in at 2.5 gallons, which is an additional 20-25% water volume.

• Like 6
HarryPotter
9 hours ago, coralcousins said:

Deciding on a heater. Not sure which one though ? I'm looking at the cobalt easy-therm 50 watt. 

Thats the only one I trust with my tanks. I have never had an issue with it and it has been through years of abuse. I've left it in vinegar for 24 hours a bunch of times to clear off coralline, left it dry to overheat and auto shut-off, etc and it is still going strong. I have my apex on it as a failsafe, but the apex has never cut power to it. Very reliable unit ??

• Like 5
9 hours ago, coralcousins said:

I went with Cobalt Neo-Therm :) Awesome stuff! And I love that the 75W fits so easily in the filtration chambers, too - my 75W Jager heater is now for water mixing purposes

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Boggers said:

anyone planning uncured rock?

I would like to but I am not allowed to spend that much for rock and shipping.  So LFS liverock is my route.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Considered it. Sourcing the kind I wanted was going to take too much time - and hassle. I think I've found some LR I'm happy with. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben
28 minutes ago, Boggers said:

I did. It had a rough cycle since my bottle of ammonia reducer didn't do a damned thing since it was wayyy expired, but I can already see a bunch of tube worms and feather dusters starting to pop up on it. :)

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Yes 8D

Wish me luck.

Where are you getting yours from? 

Just now, coralcousins said:

Uncured as in dry rock ? That's what I'm going with. 

No, as in harvested from the ocean and put in your tank. Its like an easter egg that can be amazing or horrifying. lol

• Like 8
coralcousins
1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

No, as in harvested from the ocean and put in your tank. Its like an easter egg that can be amazing or horrifying. lol

I wouldn't be able to do that. Way too spooky for me lol hopefully my cycle isn't too long though.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
1 minute ago, coralcousins said:

I wouldn't be able to do that. Way too spooky for me lol hopefully my cycle isn't too long though.

It's not terrible, especially since we are dealing with an extremely low amount of rock. I had I think five pieces in total, each just took a quick once over with the eyes, into a bucket to rinse it, and then into the tank.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Gulf Live Rock! Dan's got awesome stuff :) 

I  really want uncured.  i am using beach sand as it is.  I need to go all put with my crazies I am not allowed to do other... 

iijpl.jpg

• Like 4
Just now, lkoechle said:

I  really want uncured.  i am using beach sand as it is.  I need to go all put with my crazies I am not allowed to do other... 

Just do it! ;)

@metrokat and @jedimasterben  When are we going to know what the sticky note is going to say?  Like midnight May 9th/10th ?  Because I am planning on ordering something and I need to know when I can have it shipped.  And I don't want any of it in transit or in a bucket longer than it has to be. And I have to plan my schedule because I need to go to the airport and get it. and want it in the tank May 10th.  But I don't want the sticky to show up at 5pm while I picked up my stuff at 10 am. lol

• Like 3
4 hours ago, lkoechle said:

@metrokat and @jedimasterben  When are we going to know what the sticky note is going to say?  Like midnight May 9th/10th ?  Because I am planning on ordering something and I need to know when I can have it shipped.  And I don't want any of it in transit or in a bucket longer than it has to be. And I have to plan my schedule because I need to go to the airport and get it. and want it in the tank May 10th.  But I don't want the sticky to show up at 5pm while I picked up my stuff at 10 am. lol

9ypunaju.jpg

Okay - what was your question again? :flower:

We will let everyone know the day before what the sticky has to say. May 10 is the day to get the sticky and get the tank started and wet. So You could fill it with saltwater and you have started the 100 days. Basically the tank should be started May 10, doesn't mean your livestock has to be in it that very day. Makes sense?

• Like 6
1 minute ago, metrokat said:

9ypunaju.jpg

Okay - what was your questions again? :flower:

We will let everyone know the day before what the sticky has to say. May 10 is the day to get the sticky and get the tank started and wet. So You could fill it with saltwater and you have started the 100 days. Basically the tank should be started May 10, doesn't mean your livestock has to be in it that very day. Makes sense?

Yes, but my livestock will be in it the same day :P  j/k not really.  but I want to start cycling stat and am getting some very nice uncured live rock if I can @skoechle on board!  So I don't want that sitting longer than necessary. and it's too live to bucket cycle.

• Like 2
Just now, lkoechle said:

Yes, but my livestock will be in it the same day :P  j/k not really.  but I want to start cycling stat and am getting some very nice uncured live rock if I can @skoechle on board!  So I don't want that sitting longer than necessary. and it's too live to bucket cycle.

@skoechle say no!:P

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

@skoechle should say yes, uncured live rock would be epic to see! 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic