Top Shelf Aquatics

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

15 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

I've been looking into Teaching to eat things like brine shrimp. Saw one owner that got his to eat store bought shrimp. Which would be a dream. 

All mine ate frozen, training them take a bit of time but can be done. I wrote an article recently about Nutramar Ova being back in stock. ORA and Quality Marine both use Nutramar to train their mandarins to eat frozen. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

I'm assuming if we set up a feeding schedule and share the duties we will be able to keep him plump an Healthy. 

It is my first tank. I've been doing hours of research which will hopefully help me along. 

I'm very excited for your journey into salt with your girlfriend. Won't lie, Mandarins are not a good idea if you are just getting into the hobby. 

I cultured Tisbe pods for my first mandy. They eat a pod every 3 seconds. They will decimate a large tank population in no time - couple of days at most, one day in this 14G (not kidding). You'd have to supplement with pods very often, smarter would be to train the fish to eat roe. Nutramar ova is prawn eggs, the right particle size. If you can get a hold of that. Doc's ECO eggs also has the right particle size eggs but the mixture is very copious and dense.

Paul B made a mandarin diner (I did too). A little dining trough where the mandarin knew the food was dispensed. I fed live BBS into the diner with tubing. Paul B has details on that. I made my diner following instructions from Marc Levenson - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/nftt/index.htm

1 minute ago, Derrick1980 said:

Doin great this morning.. how are you?

I'm well thanks for asking. :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Happy Monday. Marine Depot blasted the contest to their newsletter subscribers. :)

How is everybody?

58fe07c9c9962_ScreenShot2017-04-24at10_11_42AM.png.f5543ead215133c2525401719328b0d6.png

Technically, copepods would be food for the Mandy in this case. Right @jedimasterben ?

I'm trying to find a way to squeeze a Peninsula 20 into my budget because of this contest.  I know it isn't the same tank, but since I couldn't enter the contest anyways, I figured I'd finally get a nano saltwater tank going along the spirit of this contest ^_^;;;;

Or in short, day is going great even with this weird wet snow were getting today (Northern Alberta usually gets a rather "dry" type of snow) 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Happy Monday. Marine Depot blasted the contest to their newsletter subscribers. :)

How is everybody?

58fe07c9c9962_ScreenShot2017-04-24at10_11_42AM.png.f5543ead215133c2525401719328b0d6.png

Technically, copepods would be food for the Mandy in this case. Right @jedimasterben ?

Well, today is the start of moving day, and my car is in the shop getting looked over.  Need I say more? :wacko::P:mellow:

12+ hour drive coming tonight or in the AM!  Whee? :unsure:

• Like 2
jedimasterben
5 hours ago, metrokat said:

How is everybody?

Yes, definitely just food, unless it was specifically a copepod biotope :lol:

• Like 4
6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm trying to find a way to squeeze a Peninsula 20 into my budget because of this contest.  I know it isn't the same tank, but since I couldn't enter the contest anyways, I figured I'd finally get a nano saltwater tank going along the spirit of this contest ^_^;;;;

Or in short, day is going great even with this weird wet snow were getting today (Northern Alberta usually gets a rather "dry" type of snow) 

But why can't you get into the contest?\

3 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

Yes, definitely just food, unless it was specifically a copepod biotope :lol:

:ninja:

:lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, metrokat said:

But why can't you get into the contest?\

I distinctly remember a certain someone mentioning US only a few pages back.  I'm Canadian :P

I also suspect the $450ish CAD it would cost for the tank plus light (purchased from ReefSupplies as MarineDepot doesn't ship such items out of the US)  would wind up being something my wallet can't quite afford just yet, especially on a two-way week turnaround. 

That and my preference for the Peninsula 20 which is only $60 CAD more ^_^;;;;;;

• Like 2
coralcousins

Since I already have the orbit marine pro led 18"-24" I'm thinking about buying just IM peninsula 14G and getting in on this contest. Do I have to order from marinedepot or can I buy the tank from bulkreefsuppy ?  Price difference is $15.25   Trying to save as much so it can go to other supplies.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

Since I already have the orbit marine pro led 18"-24" I'm thinking about buying just IM peninsula 14G and getting in on this contest. Do I have to order from marinedepot or can I buy the tank from bulkreefsuppy ?  Price difference is $15.25   Trying to save as much so it can go to other supplies.

Hi there. The price is the same on both sites. Screenshot.

58fe851cba46a_ScreenShot2017-04-24at7_06_17PM.thumb.png.35bdd56efb1d524e2236d4d264c3b24f.png58fe8522f2a13_ScreenShot2017-04-24at7_06_07PM.thumb.png.8e2e0ca2be3ccd46d31e931bf34cf62f.png

• Like 1
1 minute ago, metrokat said:

Hi there. The price is the same on both sites. Screenshot.

58fe851cba46a_ScreenShot2017-04-24at7_06_17PM.thumb.png.35bdd56efb1d524e2236d4d264c3b24f.png58fe8522f2a13_ScreenShot2017-04-24at7_06_07PM.thumb.png.8e2e0ca2be3ccd46d31e931bf34cf62f.png

And it also looks like you get free shipping with MD.  Youd still have to pay shipping for BRS

coralcousins

@metrokat @lkoechle just went over it again. BRS is not charging me tax they also are taking $5 off for signing up. Shipping seems to be free with them as well.  So can I go that route ? or can marinedepot match that ? lol

3 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

@metrokat @lkoechle just went over it again. BRS is not charging me tax they also are taking $5 off for signing up. Shipping seems to be free with them as well.  So can I go that route ? or can marinedepot match that ? lol

I dont think it matters as long as the equipment is the same but @metrokat and @jedimasterben have final say on that since its their contest.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

It is up to you where to purchase from.

Marine Depot does price match. 

coralcousins
Just now, metrokat said:

It is up to you where to purchase from.

Marine Depot does price match. 

Marine depot it is ! They did the price match :D

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

Sponsor wars :lol: both are great vendors so its a win win either way!

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Marine Depot gets the nod from me for supplies. Can't beat their customer service with a stick.

I like them both but one carries things the other doesn't so I am on the fence with both of them :lol: 

• Like 1

They both seem like solid vendors.

i like brs for their instructional videos. 

But MD has better product videos. 

2 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

This is too cool!  What a great idea. 

So sign up!!

4 hours ago, coralcousins said:

So youre competing as well??

• Like 1
coralcousins
4 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

So youre competing as well??

yes I will be. Getting back into the hobby so it shall be a great experience. 

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Do we have a list of official participants? Maybe later a link to their tank builds?

It's at the end of the original post.

• Like 2

Nice idea for a contest. Wish I had more money, time, and space for another tank so I could participate. It'll be interesting to see what everyone does! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Boggers said:

Do we have a list of official participants? Maybe later a link to their tank builds?

The first post has the contestants listed at the bottom of the post with links to their threads. I have to update the link for Coral_chef

Here is what I have so far for contestants. 

1. coral_chef

2. lkoechle

3. Mariaface

4. nanoSteve

5. Pjanssen

6. Seafurn

@coralcousins - you're in?

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic