Innovative Marine Aquariums

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

2 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

This is going to be pretty awesome.  I just went on their site and they only have a couple left. 5 to be  exact 

Click on "notify me" if it says out of stock. Official start date is May 1 so there is time. If the shipment is delayed beyond May 1, contestants will get a grace period.

We have you covered.

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Now it's 4! Someone's going to add more stock, right? :P

Totally! 

• Like 2
jedimasterben
58 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

So, what about other equipment like flow?  And we need to use all the original equipment like the return pump? 

You can choose your own flow, but I would recommend one of the Koralia Nano pumps. I have the Koralia 425 (and an old one at that) in mine right now along with the stock return pump, and it is quite a bit of flow.

50 minutes ago, NanoSteve said:

Was thinking the same thing.

Are rocks/sand included in the $500 budget? How are corals prices being regulated (As in preventing someone from saying they got an entire colony of zoas for $5, etc.)? Same with the price of fish...

I'll have to talk to Kat about the rock/sand thing. I spent $92 for the live rock and sand I just put into mine, so that would leave around $125 for livestock. I think it will be more of a rough guideline and less of a hard cap. :)

17 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Plus I added a heater and got a free t-shirt! :P

@jedimasterben, what flow level (for corals) do you think the stock tank sits at? Trying to decide on circulation... 

With just the stock return pump, it's pretty decent, but I would definitely recommend a Koralia 240 or 425 if you're going to add any corals. More flow is almost always more better.

15 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Such a disappointing choice on lighting, why make everyone buy a bad light?

I'll be clear - the Orbit series are not my first choice when it comes to lighting, you can search back through my post history and see that lol. However, we were limited when we decided on our budget trying to keep the initial investment as low as possible while still having quality equipment. I've taken PAR measurements myself and the Orbit Marine Pro will be sufficient for this sized tank. I don't recommend dimming them, though, and just using them on/off.

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

I've taken PAR measurements myself and the Orbit Marine Pro will be sufficient for this sized tank. I don't recommend dimming them, though, and just using them on/off.

Curious, what are the PAR levels?

Edit: Found the published values. Apparently 90-200 at 12 inches, which is super high. Interestingly, they use 60 degree optics. Is there enough light to cover the peninsula from side to side?

• Like 3
jedimasterben
5 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Curious, what are the PAR levels?

I'm already in bed for the night, I'll make a par map tomorrow :)

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:
1 hour ago, NanoSteve said:

Was thinking the same thing.

Are rocks/sand included in the $500 budget? How are corals prices being regulated (As in preventing someone from saying they got an entire colony of zoas for $5, etc.)? Same with the price of fish...

I'll have to talk to Kat about the rock/sand thing. I spent $92 for the live rock and sand I just put into mine, so that would leave around $125 for livestock. I think it will be more of a rough guideline and less of a hard cap. :)

I read the rules as $500 total investment in livestock, but your post implies that the tank cost would deduct from the $500... If that's the case then after rock, sand, heater, and flow i guess we could choose between one fish or one coral for the tank :P  

Whatever the rules intentions, I would prefer that the initial tank package would be excluded from the contest budget.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

You can choose your own flow

So if we go with another pump that counts in the budget also?

500 bucks gets you nothing in this hobby :lol: we all know that..................

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

If my tax return wasn't going to my honeymoon, it would be going to this! Perfect excuse for a new tank. I'm be following all the lucky contestants 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, NanoSteve said:

Me and the wife are in!

Awww Yisssss!

Congratulations on winning 1 year Premium Membership on the forum!

3c86559b14482f5a4b0b35664c0d426e_an-aqua

• Like 7

$500 is the budget for livestock only.

Tank and Light kit, Rock, sand, powerhead, any stand you may wish to get are not part of this livestock budget.

HTH.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
18 minutes ago, spectra said:

So if we go with another pump that counts in the budget also?

500 bucks gets you nothing in this hobby :lol: we all know that..................

True story! :lol:

You can add pumps for flow but not change out the return pump. Basically seeing who can get the farthest from an even playing field.

I would not have pushed for that being one of the rules if I didn't think the equipment we picked out was up to snuff. I would not knowingly steer anyone towards failure :)

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

True story! :lol:

You can add pumps for flow but not change out the return pump. Basically seeing who can get the farthest from an even playing field.

I would not have pushed for that being one of the rules if I didn't think the equipment we picked out was up to snuff. I would not knowingly steer anyone towards failure :)

I have just never liked the noisy IM pumps :o I always seem to get a sicce or a tunze to toss in the back.....

Hell not even sure I have a spot for this so still on the fence......the IM10 fit perfect on the table but being a peninsula well table is not that deep :unsure:

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic

It's been awhile since Nano-Reef has had an official contest.  Sweet, I wish I could play, but I'll be following along.  Maybe this will provide the lounge contest with a little buffer from the "general" population.  Good luck everyone!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, seabass said:

It's been awhile since Nano-Reef has had an official contest.  Sweet, I wish I could play, but I'll be following along.  Maybe this will provide the lounge contest with a little buffer from the "general" population.  Good luck everyone!

You say that like they need protection from us.  I have been over there, its like the underbelly of NR  We need protection from them! :lol:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

I'm already in bed for the night, I'll make a par map tomorrow :)

-taps foot-

:wub: Just kidding, I can be patient for a PAR map!

• Like 2

Good morning. I'm hoping we get a few more sponsors on board, so I'll be updating the prizes as that happens. 

Reminder: all contestants get 10% and are eligible for one of 3 prizes from OceanBox Designs by signing up for their newsletter.

https://goo.gl/MoSnH3

34 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Thanks Kat and Jedi for making this happen, I will be watching in anticipation. I love the frugal award as well.

Thanks Boggers! Couldn't have done it without @jedimasterben and @Christopher Marks and our generous sponsors.

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic