Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stella's Dueling Reefers

ReefWeeds

Ok, one more photo from this morning!  

I'm dealing with a severe aiptasia infestation in my reef tank right now.  I've added about 20 berghia nudibranch to hopefully chow them down.  It worked in 2015/2016 for me.  I made the mistake of using a majano wand to try to get rid of some and boom.  they released tiny babies that were floating in the water column.  Hundreds of babies.  Probably thousands of babies.  I saw it and thought OH ^&&%#.  and yup - oh ^&*#*(# was right.  Within a couple weeks, I had small aiptaisa EVERYFREAKINGWHERE.

On a happier note, my Tyree Sand dollar monti cap is doing well:

• Like 8

Hi stellablue,

I fought aiptasia for more than a year. I did finely  get rid of them with a matted filefish.

It only took about two week and they are GONE.

Here is a photo of my filefish.

Barry

filefishsmall.jpg.a2c4dc70d0689f3076974385292a185f.jpg 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, BJV said:

Hi stellablue,

I fought aiptasia for more than a year. I did finely  get rid of them with a matted filefish.

It only took about two week and they are GONE.

Here is a photo of my filefish.

Barry

filefishsmall.jpg.a2c4dc70d0689f3076974385292a185f.jpg 

That's a great photo!!!  I actually have two bristletail files in my macro tank!  Unfortunately, with baby rock flower anemones in my reef tank, I can't add files, or peppermints for that matter.  I'm hoping the berghia do their job!

• Like 2

Ha ha, I am like you and teeny's tank, "hey the dueling reefers both are up in running?"  Today is the first time I saw them both.  Ok, so I am a bit behind.  So many tanks to follow, so little time!

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Ha ha, I am like you and teeny's tank, "hey the dueling reefers both are up in running?"  Today is the first time I saw them both.  Ok, so I am a bit behind.  So many tanks to follow, so little time!

Oh, I am so far behind on threads!  It's not even funny!

10 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Are you going to keep them that close together? Hope a fish doesn't drop between them :blink:

yeah.  They're staying like that.  I have a guard that goes on top between the two tanks so I can't drip water (easily) and hopefully a fish won't fall down.  Although I do have tops on my tanks as well.

• Like 2

They worked for me even in my predator tank. Took a long time (about 30 days) to notice any changes.  I thought they'd all been eaten by my wrasses and hogfish. Then one day i realized one especially badly infested rock was clean. Soon i couldnt find a single aiptasia

• Like 2
2 hours ago, stellablue said:

That's a great photo!!!  I actually have two bristletail files in my macro tank!  Unfortunately, with baby rock flower anemones in my reef tank, I can't add files, or peppermints for that matter.  I'm hoping the berghia do their job!

+1

I got a matted file when I had some aiptasia and now that they're gone, he likes to nom on my hammer. Poor hammer.

Cool idea lady... and I'm impressed as always... 10 pages of comments with only like 4 photos. Such a diva.

• Like 2

Oh hey, look, Stella updated her thread!

18 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

+1

I got a matted file when I had some aiptasia and now that they're gone, he likes to nom on my hammer. Poor hammer.

Cool idea lady... and I'm impressed as always... 10 pages of comments with only like 4 photos. Such a diva.

:lol:

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

+1

:lol: you know me! Gotta keep the masses happy with the least amount of effort possible 

39 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Sex toy... shhh...

Bahahahahaha Chris, that's hilarious. 

25 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Oh hey, look, Stella updated her thread!

:lol:

Can you believe it?!? I haven't been around much and miss you guys!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stellablue said:

:lol: you know me! Gotta keep the masses happy with the least amount of effort possible 

True :)

So, how's the Aiptasia battle going?  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ReefWeeds

So things have been crazy busy the past couple months. The day job has been crazy. We are launching a new product so my days have been filled with conference calls and other BS :lol: but the good news is I've been moved into a branding, financial analysis and strategy role which is up my ally rather than more the technical side of developing a new product. 

On top of that, I've been painting like crazy. I started painting reef paintings again in January, this time with UV reactive paint and have been enjoying it. I have a lot of my work out on Instagram. My username is reefweeds - come visit! 

Here are a couple photos: 

At this point, I am not taking any custom requests. I'm sold out of available work, but will have some at Justin Credabel Grabel's new aquaculture farm and Gallery in New London CT. Here's a link for more info: 

http://info.chamberect.com/news/details/credabel-coral-laboratory-ribbon-cutting-may-12

i will also have a booth at Reef-A-Palooza NY. So stop by!!!! 

• Like 10