Cultivated Reef

Stella's Dueling Reefers

ReefWeeds

Just now, HarryPotter said:

:( separate tanks too? Stinks. 

No they were in the same tank. Little guy isn't showing any signs but I think it's best to treat him too. 

45 minutes ago, spectra said:

Sorry to hear about the fish............hopefully everyone pulls through.

Thanks Scott :flower: 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh wow, very sorry to hear about this rough patch you're hitting. :( 

5 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I hope Mona makes it through treatment alright!

Thanks ladies. When it rains it pours! 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Oh no ?  When it rains it pours. Sorry to hear. Hopefully everybody pulls through. Fingers crossed ? 

Thanks penny. I'm trying to remain positive! 

12 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am sorry to hear of what you are going through.  Treating sick fish is not fun but I hope they pull through.

Thanks Dawn. Hopefully I caught it soon enough. She seems to be breathing a bit heavy this morning but it could just be from the medication and new environment. The little male seems unaffected. 

Well, Day 1 in the QT tank update. 

I put one of my brightwell xport bricks in the qt tank from my macro tank. I know I'll have to toss it but it was the only filter media I had with pre-established bacteria. Tested the ammonia this morning and as expected, it's 0 since the xport brick can filter up to 1000 gallons or something crazy like that. 

Mona and the pipsqueak seem ok - pip seems better and completely unaffected by the brook/parasite as well as the medication. He's eating fine and looks good. Mona isn't eating so that's not a great sign. Her coloring seems good and the spot doesn't look worse, but her breathing seems to be a bit heavier than normal. I put an airstone in last night as I felt the aquaclear and the koralia weren't providing enough o2. I'm also slowly decreasing salinity to help fight off the parasite. Salinity is at 1.022 now so I'm going to drop it to 1.020 by this evening and then down to 1.018 by tomorrow evening. 

• Like 6

Here's a photo of Mona and the pip in the QT. You can see her fin on the bottom - my  asswipe of a bangaii took a bite out of her a few weeks ago. Between that,  losing her mate and now the QT tank, Mona has had a rough few weeks. 

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

poor Mona:tears:

I know it. I feel so bad for her. Last treatment goes in today. Cross your fingers! I've decided I'm going to put the clowns into the contest tank with the goby and shrimp. I don't want her getting bullied again. I'm going to keep them in the qt for a couple weeks though just to make sure. 

• Like 2

Well, not a great update. Mona has been declining today. Her coloring is fading and overall she just doesn't look good. I'm still holding out hope but I'm not feeling great about her recovery. I did a 50% water change this evening as both she and pip seemed to be having a hard time with the last of the three treatments. I am going to go pick up some stress guard tomorrow - hopefully it helps rebuild their slimecoat. Pip was eating but Mona hasn't eaten anything for the last two or three days. 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

:tears:

I know. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning as I was pretty sure she wouldn't have made it and I was right. She didn't make it. I'm so sad that I've lost both my beloved clowns. I still can't believe it. 

The pip seems good but completely lost in the QT by himself as he got attached to Mona very fast. 

8 minutes ago, stellablue said:

I know. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning as I was pretty sure she wouldn't have made it and I was right. She didn't make it. I'm so sad that I've lost both my beloved clowns. I still can't believe it. 

The pip seems good but completely lost in the QT by himself as he got attached to Mona very fast. 

Oh no, I'm so, so sorry. :( :grouphug:

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh no, I'm so, so sorry. :( :grouphug:

Thanks Weet. I almost thought of putting her out of her misery last night before bed but I second guessed myself. It's my first time really dealing with a hospital tank and such so I kept thinking maybe I was being pessimistic. 

13 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Thanks Weet. I almost thought of putting her out of her misery last night before bed but I second guessed myself. It's my first time really dealing with a hospital tank and such so I kept thinking maybe I was being pessimistic. 

It's quite likely I would have been the same way, we always want to hope. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's quite likely I would have been the same way, we always want to hope. 

Yes, exactly. It is such a hard call.