SaltCritters.com

Stella's Dueling Reefers

ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds
13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

And still no pic of the tanks...

Um, well, you're right!! 

Heres a full system shot of the reef tank. The macro tank is undergoing some renovations today! 

• Like 5
ReefWeeds

The good news is the berghia nudies are doing a good job on my aiptasia infestation. I'm down to manageable levels. I also picked up Buzz, the copperbanded butterfly, about a month or so ago. He's doing great. Very healthy specimen from Live Aquaria. He started on the aiptasia pretty quickly and is also eating frozen. So he's growing well and definitely not a skinny fish any longer. 

he and Magellan, my onespot foxface, are best buds and follow each other around the tank. He copies what Magellan does and I credit that heavily to him eating frozen well. Here's a funny photo of Magellan. 

• Like 11
ReefWeeds
Just now, ninjamyst said:

both fish are on my wanted list after I lost my foxface this week =(.  so nice that your copperband is eating frozen!

Aww I'm sorry about your fox :( I got both of mine from LA - I honestly get almost all my fish from LA - with the exception of my clowns, Bert and the Chromis. I've never had a problem (knocking on wood). Whether this is right or wrong, I don't trust fish from an LFS. Other than POTO. 

• Like 3
ReefWeeds
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Magellan looks like he's wearing a napkin around his neck for dinner :lol:

Totally does! You're right! As you can see from the photo, he eats rather well so it would be fitting :lol: 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, stellablue said:

So things have been crazy busy the past couple months. The day job has been crazy. We are launching a new product so my days have been filled with conference calls and other BS :lol: but the good news is I've been moved into a branding, financial analysis and strategy role which is up my ally rather than more the technical side of developing a new product. 

On top of that, I've been painting like crazy. I started painting reef paintings again in January, this time with UV reactive paint and have been enjoying it. I have a lot of my work out on Instagram. My username is reefweeds - come visit! 

Here are a couple photos: 

At this point, I am not taking any custom requests. I'm sold out of available work, but will have some at Justin Credabel Grabel's new aquaculture farm and Gallery in New London CT. Here's a link for more info: 

http://info.chamberect.com/news/details/credabel-coral-laboratory-ribbon-cutting-may-12

i will also have a booth at Reef-A-Palooza NY. So stop by!!!! 

Love your paintings!  I saw a piece that looked like one of yours at Shoreline Pets down in Old Saybrook last month, sitting on their frag tank in the back room. :happy:

• Like 1
ReefWeeds
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Love your paintings!  I saw a piece that looked like one of yours at Shoreline Pets down in Old Saybrook last month, sitting on their frag tank in the back room. :happy:

That would be one of mine :) I gave it to Jeromy as a "thank you" a couple months ago. I'm in Norwich! Where are you located????

1 minute ago, stellablue said:

That would be one of mine :) I gave it to Jeromy as a "thank you" a couple months ago. I'm in Norwich! Where are you located????

I was in Hartford until last week!  Lost my job last month so I've moved back down to NC to find work cause I had such a hard time up there. :( Hubby is still up there till the lease runs out, and he took me to Shoreline a couple times as a treat.

Whatever you do, don't buy a pom pom crab there anytime soon...we returned my murderous Shelby there thinking it was the crab we'd just bought there, after she committed attempted crabicide! :lol:  I bought a grandis paly instead lol.

• Like 2
ReefWeeds
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was in Hartford until last week!  Lost my job last month so I've moved back down to NC to find work cause I had such a hard time up there. :( Hubby is still up there till the lease runs out, and he took me to Shoreline a couple times as a treat.

Whatever you do, don't buy a pom pom crab there anytime soon...we returned my murderous Shelby there thinking it was the crab we'd just bought there, after she committed attempted crabicide! :lol:  I bought a grandis paly instead lol.

:lol: oh god! Good tip!! And darn. That sucks you're no longer up here :( I was thinking it would be so cool to find another local reefer!

5 minutes ago, stellablue said:

:lol: oh god! Good tip!! And darn. That sucks you're no longer up here :( I was thinking it would be so cool to find another local reefer!

Yeah it would've been cool! :( I know I'll be up to visit my in-laws (and help hubby pack up later this summer lol) but not the same.  I really liked having so many saltwater stores within a reasonable drive as I'd never had that before!  I miss that already.

• Like 1
ReefWeeds
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah it would've been cool! :( I know I'll be up to visit my in-laws (and help hubby pack up later this summer lol) but not the same.  I really liked having so many saltwater stores within a reasonable drive as I'd never had that before!  I miss that already.

You know what's funny is I feel like there aren't many options around here :lol: Shoreline is pretty good though. 

5 minutes ago, stellablue said:

You know what's funny is I feel like there aren't many options around here :lol: Shoreline is pretty good though. 

:lol: I used to go mostly to Wet Pets in Vernon and Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester/South Windsor, but just having even Petco (and multiples of them, at that) less than an hour's drive away was nice lol.  Petco was the closest to me when I started out, and it was over 30 min away; a legit fish store was at least an hour! 

Now, in a different part of the state from when I started, I'm still a good hour from any fish store including Petco.  Full circle, I guess? :lol:

• Like 1
ninjamyst
4 hours ago, stellablue said:

Aww I'm sorry about your fox :( I got both of mine from LA - I honestly get almost all my fish from LA - with the exception of my clowns, Bert and the Chromis. I've never had a problem (knocking on wood). Whether this is right or wrong, I don't trust fish from an LFS. Other than POTO. 

Do you get from Diver's Den or regular LA??

• Like 1
ReefWeeds
8 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Do you get from Diver's Den or regular LA??

Usually the Diver's Den but both the fox and the copperband came from regular LA

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol: I used to go mostly to Wet Pets in Vernon and Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester/South Windsor, but just having even Petco (and multiples of them, at that) less than an hour's drive away was nice lol.  Petco was the closest to me when I started out, and it was over 30 min away; a legit fish store was at least an hour! 

Now, in a different part of the state from when I started, I'm still a good hour from any fish store including Petco.  Full circle, I guess? :lol:

Ha that is full circle! Wet pets has gone downhill significantly over the last few months. Tanks covered in hair algae and cyano. Fish don't look good. Not sure what happened. I know Donnie just got married so that probably has something to do with it. 

Sharbuckle

Thats pretty damn cool! I eas thinking about doing that but I love having a little refugium for critters. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, stellablue said:

Usually the Diver's Den but both the fox and the copperband came from regular LA

Ha that is full circle! Wet pets has gone downhill significantly over the last few months. Tanks covered in hair algae and cyano. Fish don't look good. Not sure what happened. I know Donnie just got married so that probably has something to do with it. 

Yeah, lots of GHA and cyano...a big part of why I didn't buy much there.  Plus half the time the guys didn't know the price on things. :rolleyes: And a lot of stuff was more expensive than I was willing to pay (like $45 for something like a kenya tree that's going to multiply like crazy...uh, nope!). They did have some neat stuff though.  They got in a blue hippo tang a couple months ago which is mostly black, and didn't want to sell her so they priced her at like $2300 lol.  She's in the first tank when you go into the second room.

Which tank did you put the macro reactor on?  The reef tank?

• Like 1
ReefWeeds
9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, lots of GHA and cyano...a big part of why I didn't buy much there.  Plus half the time the guys didn't know the price on things. :rolleyes: And a lot of stuff was more expensive than I was willing to pay (like $45 for something like a kenya tree that's going to multiply like crazy...uh, nope!). They did have some neat stuff though.  They got in a blue hippo tang a couple months ago which is mostly black, and didn't want to sell her so they priced her at like $2300 lol.  She's in the first tank when you go into the second room.

Which tank did you put the macro reactor on?  The reef tank?

Yeah it's too bad. The place really went downhill.

yeah!! The reef tank! I can't wait to see how it works. 

• Like 1
On 5/6/2017 at 7:22 AM, stellablue said:

So things have been crazy busy the past couple months. The day job has been crazy. We are launching a new product so my days have been filled with conference calls and other BS :lol: but the good news is I've been moved into a branding, financial analysis and strategy role which is up my ally rather than more the technical side of developing a new product. 

On top of that, I've been painting like crazy. I started painting reef paintings again in January, this time with UV reactive paint and have been enjoying it. I have a lot of my work out on Instagram. My username is reefweeds - come visit! 

Here are a couple photos: 

At this point, I am not taking any custom requests. I'm sold out of available work, but will have some at Justin Credabel Grabel's new aquaculture farm and Gallery in New London CT. Here's a link for more info: 

http://info.chamberect.com/news/details/credabel-coral-laboratory-ribbon-cutting-may-12

i will also have a booth at Reef-A-Palooza NY. So stop by!!!! 

This is so awesome!  Congrats on all the painting success :).  Take video or pics of your booth at RAP!!!!  I'm in the mood for reef shopping at a reef show LOL.  Wish I could go!

• Like 2

Hey Rachel, its nice to see you back!  The reef looks packed to capacity, (and I'd be disappointed if it weren't) but I would love to see the macro tank.

• Like 1