Pod Your Reef

Stella's Dueling Reefers

ReefWeeds

I thought it was obvious, so you can aim the returns in two different directions and get better flow and less dead spots.

I thought it was obvious that a return is used to return the water to the display and you get your flow from power heads?
  • Like 5

Why not use the return for both :unsure:

Because my return has never gave me much flow and the power heads have always done the job. By the time you split the return the flow coming out of the splits isn't much anyways. This is just my opinion little Harold ;)
  • Like 4

Because my return has never gave me much flow and the power heads have always done the job. By the time you split the return the flow coming out of the splits isn't much anyways. This is just my opinion little Harold ;)

I guess it depends on what pump she uses then. This is what I meant, but they're much cheaper to make yourself for like $.25 a piece

• Like 1

I thought it was obvious, so you can aim the returns in two different directions and get better flow and less dead spots.

Well, by splitting the return you lose some turnover/power from the return pump, right?

• Like 1
righttirefire

Well, by splitting the return you lose some turnover/power from the return pump, right?

To an extent... but not really. Hairball... wake up... the return pump is significantly lower flow than the flow in the display.

I don't remember the "acceptable" turn over. But I believe the sump should turn over 10-12 times the display tank volume per hour and the display should have a turn rate better 20-40 time volume per hour.

Stick with the single nozzle, stella

• Like 2

Yes but if you have a big enough return it wont matter.

I could split my return in my 100 and may try it as of right now I can only turn the M1 to the second or third dot so running at a little over 1/4 power..........yes lame but sand goes flying.......

What return are you going to run?

• Like 2

Yes but if you have a big enough return it wont matter.

I could split my return in my 100 and may try it as of right now I can only turn the M1 to the second or third dot so running at a little over 1/4 power..........yes lame but sand goes flying.......

What return are you going to run?

The sicce 2.5. I'm running it now on the 66 and like it.

Wtf 6 pages and not even a single (full) tank picture. My dreams are dashed.

:lol: well, it still looks like it did in the photo last night

• Like 2

The sicce 2.5. I'm running it now on the 66 and like it.

:lol: well, it still looks like it did in the photo last night

Yeah don't split that one. I am running the 2.0 sicce in the IM 30 and like it.

Will the 2.5 be enough?

• Like 2

Yeah don't split that one. I am running the 2.0 sicce in the IM 30 and like it.

Will the 2.5 be enough?

Red Sea recommends no more than 660 thru there overflow on that tank. I think the 2.5 with head height comes in around 600-630.
  • Like 2

Red Sea recommends no more than 660 thru there overflow on that tank. I think the 2.5 with head height comes in around 600-630.

Ah ok I dont have a Red Sea and my return is up to 1500 GPH I think :lol:

The 2.5 should work perfect then.

• Like 2

Those shitty polyp stony tanks like higher turn over ;)

Yeah I know and hell we don't want our weeds blown all over the place :lol:

I do like flow though...........my RFA tank only has a small return pump and I think it needs more flow. I have been fighting crap on the sand from day one.......I think it needs more flow. RFAs are happy and don't want to blow them away...........

• Like 3
righttirefire

Yeah I know and hell we don't want our weeds blown all over the place :lol:I do like flow though...........my RFA tank only has a small return pump and I think it needs more flow. I have been fighting crap on the sand from day one.......I think it needs more flow. RFAs are happy and don't want to blow them away...........

I put a cobalt mj900 in my nuvo for the return. I think it works great with the spin stream. I'm not sure I'd do it again. But the tank is so small where would you put a powerhead

• Like 2

I put a cobalt mj900 in my nuvo for the return. I think it works great with the spin stream. I'm not sure I'd do it again. But the tank is so small where would you put a powerhead

I have a tunze in mine and 250 GPH I think. Spintream also but crap still seams to settle on the sand.........

• Like 1

Ok right thread :lol: so where is the water and sand...................you said it was going to happen :rolleyes:

You're one to talk! It took you like 6 months to set up your big tank :lol:

Ran into a snag and ran out of time.

Go figure - I somehow didn't put myself on alerts for this thread and missed all these messages!

I'm running the sicce 2.5 in my 66 now and that's got a larger sump and 12 more gallons in the DT so I think it will be good. I don't like having tons of flow through the sump - I like to let the skimmer do it's thing!

• Like 2

You're one to talk! It took you like 6 months to set up tryout big tank :lol:

Ran into a snag and ran out of time.

Go figure - I somehow didn't put myself on alerts for this thread and missed all these messages!

I'm running the sicce 2.5 in my 66 now and that's got a larger sump and 12 more gallons in the DT so I think it will be good. I don't like having Tina of flow through the sump - I like to let the skimmer do it's thing!

Hey now kettle.............people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :lol:

• Like 2