Pod Your Reef

seabass

I did a 100% water change on my rotifer culture by pouring it all through a plankton screen and putting the remaining rotifers in some weak greenwater. Here's my new setup; although I plan on splitting the culture into two or more cultures (in case one crashes).

110316a.jpg

The density may have improved slightly. I think/hope it will be enough to feed a small number of larvae.

110316b.jpg

Due to dirty tank walls, pictures of the eggs are basically pointless at this point. You can see them, but it's kind of fuzzy, and I got better pictures with earlier batches.

It's kind of hard to see if they have reflective eyes just by looking at them. You can see them in a decent macro photo, or (and I discovered this last batch) you can shine a flashlight on them, so it is more apparent. This works even with the tank lights on.

Anyways, I got a few things to do before they hatch (which should be just a few hours from now). Got my fingers crossed.

• Like 8

Nothing yet. Both the female and male (Fish and Chips) have been busy fanning the eggs. While this doesn't agree with what I have read, their eggs have always hatched in the morning. I've dozed off a few times, but have been checking about every 15 minutes.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I've added an airstone, as the pumps have been off for over 7 hours.

Why not remove the whole rock out of the tank? It would make it a lot easier on your part?

I'm reluctant for a few reasons:

• The fish can fan the eggs better than an airstone can.
  • An airstone can trap air between the eggs and can cause problems.
  • The rock also has an anemone on it.
  • My tank suffers from cyano and I've battled dinos (and I'd rather not disturb the sand).
  • I've read that the male freaks out a bit when you remove his eggs.
  • I only plan on saving a dozen or so of the larvae.
  • Like 5

My clown was breed by my father in law he is the only survivor in the clutch. My father in law seem to do everything wrong but did end up with only one which is in my tank right now doing great.

• Like 1

So I watched and waited for more than an hour after I found the first one (13 hours after lights out), but I couldn't find any more. However, it looks like there are fewer eggs, so I'm thinking that they might have been eaten by the parents. I went ahead and moved the rock into a five gallon bucket to see if any more hatch. I took a couple of pics that I'll post later today.

Edit: I just checked, and maybe most of the eggs are still there. I wonder if one could have hatched a day earlier than the rest? Now I'm debating whether or not I should return the rock.

Edit2: Just in case, I'll wait until after the lights come back on before returning the rock.

• Like 4

So I watched and waited for more than an hour after I found the first one, but I couldn't find any more. However, it looks like there are a lot fewer eggs, so I'm thinking that they might have been eaten by the parents. I went ahead and moved the rock into a five gallon bucket to see if any more hatch. I took a couple of pics that I'll post later today.

Edit: I just checked, and maybe most of the eggs are still there. I wonder if one could have hatched a day earlier than the rest? Now I'm debating whether or not I should return the rock.

Edit2: Just in case, I'll wait until after the lights come back on before returning the rock.

I would not return the rock if it were me. THose eggs are going to hatch soon, (since 1 already hatched) and having removed the rock, everything that concerned you about that is already set in motion, (possible cyano break out, pappa clown's distress). I don't know if the parents would go back to fanning them if you returned the rock or not and if you have an airstone with a valve and its not bubbling too vigorously I think it should be ok.
  • Like 2

Have you figured out around the time when the others hatched?

I'm not sure. It seems like it's been about 10 to 12 hours after lights out.

I would not return the rock if it were me. THose eggs are going to hatch soon... I don't know if the parents would go back to fanning them if you returned the rock or not and if you have an airstone with a valve and its not bubbling too vigorously I think it should be ok.

That seems to make sense to me.