inTank Media Baskets

seabass

I am sorry the other eggs did not hatch. I thought for sure they would. I am glad that it looks like another chance is coming soon though.

How exciting that you are at least getting to raise 1 little baby.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm using a Canon PowerShot S120 (a 3 year old pocket camera with auto and manual settings). It has custom white balance and takes decent video; but it has been discontinued and is no longer state of the art. However, it is still much more versatile than my iPhone.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Thanks! I'm using a Canon PowerShot S120 (a 3 year old pocket camera with auto and manual settings). It has custom white balance and takes decent video; but it has been discontinued and is no longer state of the art. However, it is still much more versatile than my iPhone.

It has surprisingly good video for a point and shoot. 1080 with 60 fps?

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Looking great! Hopefully more of the clutch survives this time, but you might have to separate Finley from the group though, so we can keep track of him.

• Like 1

Looking great! Hopefully more of the clutch survives this time, but you might have to separate Finley from the group though, so we can keep track of him.

I'm not sure that the timing is good to raise a clutch until later in December.

That looks like a lot more eggs this time!

It will be interesting to see how many remain viable.

What are you feeding them. Lol. they just keep breeding!

Oysters and clams. ;)

Nah, I feed them Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Formula Two flakes (have for years).

• Like 2

So today is Finley's one week birthday. I tried getting a picture yesterday, but none of them turned out (maybe I'll post a birthday pic later on). Soon, he'll be going through metamorphosis. This might be his biggest hurdle. But first, he'll need to switch foods.

You can see in the pic that I'm attempting to decapsulate the brine shrimp eggs prior to hatching. This process speeds up the hatching process (to overnight) and makes it unnecessary to separate the shells from the baby brine shrimp (BBS). You soak the eggs in two ounces of water for 90 minutes then add an once of bleach (stirring continuously for 7 minutes). Then you pour them into the plankton collector and dechlorinate with Prime before putting them in a hatchery. I used too few eggs in my first attempt.

I'm not sure if I can keep the clownfish larvae from another clutch with Finley or not (as their food wouldn't necessarily be the same, and I'm not sure if Finley would try to eat them). Finley might be a juvenile clownfish by the time this latest clutch hatches. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm going to let this clutch (and maybe the next couple) go.

It's kind of nice having to deal with just one, but I think I'm going to miss not having a bunch of juveniles huddling together. Plus, I'm essentially doing the same amount of work as I would for a group. No doubt, I'll have to raise a bigger batch of them later on (because that sounds like a lot of fun). However, being just one, I've been able to scoop him out to clean the tank. He can still be fairly hard to spot, and I don't have to be as careful knowing he's safely outside of the tank.

I'm still adding a little greenwater to the tank every now and then. I believe it helps the density and nutritional value of the rotifers in the tank. It might also improve the water quality in general. I've yet to do a water change (another benefit of having just one larvae). I'm using a Seachem ammonia alert badge, but I should do some water tests today (ammonia, nitrite, and pH). I had to buy nitrite.and pH test kits because I don't normally test for these.

• Like 7

So today is Finley's one week birthday. I tried getting a picture yesterday, but none of them turned out (maybe I'll post a birthday pic later on). Soon, he'll be going through metamorphosis. This might be his biggest hurdle. But first, he'll need to switch foods.

You can see in the pic that I'm attempting to decapsulate the brine shrimp eggs prior to hatching. This process speeds up the hatching process (to overnight) and makes it unnecessary to separate the shells from the baby brine shrimp (BBS). You soak the eggs in two ounces of water for 90 minutes then add an once of bleach (stirring continuously for 7 minutes). Then you pour them into the plankton collector and dechlorinate with Prime before putting them in a hatchery. I used too few eggs in my first attempt.

I'm not sure if I can keep the clownfish larvae from another clutch with Finley or not (as their food wouldn't necessarily be the same, and I'm not sure if Finley would try to eat them). Finley might be a juvenile clownfish by the time this latest clutch hatches. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm going to let this clutch (and maybe the next couple) go.

It's kind of nice having to deal with just one, but I think I'm going to miss not having a bunch of juveniles huddling together. Plus, I'm essentially doing the same amount of work as I would for a group. No doubt, I'll have to raise a bigger batch of them later on (because that sounds like a lot of fun). However, being just one, I've been able to scoop him out to clean the tank. He can still be fairly hard to spot, and I don't have to be as careful knowing he's safely outside of the tank.

I'm still adding a little greenwater to the tank every now and then. I believe it helps the density and nutritional value of the rotifers in the tank. It might also improve the water quality in general. I've yet to do a water change (another benefit of having just one larvae). I'm using a Seachem ammonia alert badge, but I should do some water tests today (ammonia, nitrite, and pH). I had to buy nitrite.and pH test kits because I don't normally test for these.

what pic?

I am so excited for Fin! I agree with letting the next couple go with the holidays coming up. Then after, Finley would hopefully be big enough to go into a separate system and you can focus more on new babies.

At least, thats how I would do it. By the time the holidays are over, she would be 3 months old? (and maybe you can have a tank of her own set up by then) And should be pass all the marks of uncertainty right?

• Like 1

what pic?

I'll try to get one later today.

And should be pass all the marks of uncertainty right?

I believe so. If he makes it that far, I think he should be eating crushed flake food and be able to have live rock for filtration.
  • Like 2