Pieces for the stand:

110516a.jpg

The stand:

110516b.jpg

I split the rotifer culture:

110516c.jpg

At least 1 survived!
I wonder what happened to the others?

I believe that they would have hatched the following night if I let the male care for the eggs another day. Normally when you pull the rock, you do so on hatch night. I believe that Finley hatched a night early and I pulled the rock too soon (and the airstone wasn't a good enough substitute for the care that the male provides).

• Like 11

Day 3: Finley

110616a.jpg

He's still hard to see. Sometimes it takes me a couple of minutes to find him. I always check to make sure he's still in there after I do anything to the tank. I added more greenwater to the tank today. It makes finding him even more difficult.

• Like 14

Day 3: Finley

110616a.jpg

He's still hard to see. Sometimes it takes me a couple of minutes to find him. I always check to make sure he's still in there after I do anything to the tank. I added more greenwater to the tank today. It makes finding him even more difficult.

Yay! It will be so much fun if she lives!

• Like 2

Rotifer culture?

110716a.jpg

No, it's rotifers in the hatch tank (side lit so you can see them). Initially I thought that each fry only needed 1,000 rotifers a day. But I soon learned that it's about the density of rotifers in the tank that's important. The larvae have a limited ability to hunt their prey, so it is important to have sufficient numbers available.

• Like 6

Thanks everyone!

I cleaned off the rock with peroxide and a vegetable brush before returning it last night. Today, the two parents were busy cleaning and preparing the nest site. The female is looking very pregnant, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more eggs tomorrow.

• Like 2

So far so good seabass. just a little tip though, try hatching some baby brine shrimp when finley gets a bit larger and see if she will take them. it worked for me when My clownfish gave birth to those little hellions and made me have less time for youtube :D . Just make sure to enrich them every now and then if you do offer them to her (If she likes them that is)

• Like 1

Look, I'll tell you this much. If the eggs were to actually hatch; the only thing you could hope to provide them with is FOOD! If you are watching the tank nightly for hatching, and managed to catch the fry... That's what you need to concentrate on! FOOD! as long as you have the proper foods ready... all you'll have to be is patient, and vigilant.

Best of luck buddy

• Like 1

So far so good seabass. just a little tip though, try hatching some baby brine shrimp when finley gets a bit larger and see if she will take them. it worked for me when My clownfish gave birth to those little hellions and made me have less time for youtube :D . Just make sure to enrich them every now and then if you do offer them to her (If she likes them that is)

Thanks. I got my brine shrimp eggs yesterday (although I haven't started hatching them yet). I've read that it eventually takes as much energy to capture the rotifers as they get from eating them, making it important to switch to other foods (baby brine shrimp being the next step). Luckily, brine shrimp seem pretty easy to hatch.

• Like 4

Thanks. I got my brine shrimp eggs yesterday (although I haven't started hatching them yet). I've read that it eventually takes as much energy to capture the rotifers as they get from eating them, making it important to switch to other foods (baby brine shrimp being the next step). Luckily, brine shrimp seem pretty easy to hatch.

yeah it can just be a bit time consuming since you have to enrich them for them to have any nutritional value after the first few hours