Top Shelf Aquatics

seabass

Aahhh (sigh) those were the days... When i was married, trying to conceive was always the best part. The raising of the offspring... not so much.

All joking aside, these are great news! I hope that you still have all required supplies at hand to give it another shot. Good luck!

• Like 3

They kind of resemble a happy face.. it's a sign!

:)

Loving these updates! Not as many, but you'll have a better chance at raising that many. Hopefully they hatch a little more reliably this time. Practice makes perfect :)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not even sure what I'd do with a fifty baby clownfish. This should be a more manageable number. Still, even with a dry run, I'm not sure I'm ready (or will be successful). My rotifers need to multiply more and I'm running low on phyto already. I'm going to try and setup a phyto culture tomorrow. I need more skillz!

• Like 1

Day 4 (batch 2): I see eyeballs.

101916a.jpg

Nice updates, hopefully these eggs make it to hatch! In other news witnessed my first cerith snail spawn in my tank last night!

Thanks ajmckay. Nice shot of the cerith eggs.

• Like 3

Day 6 (clutch 2):
102116a.jpg

Note: The fuzzy white marks on the male is just growth on the side panel of the tank. I have not cleaned the acrylic since they have started breeding. The tank is in need of some general maintenance.

• Like 3

Seabass, have you ever read Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfish? She gave such detailed instructions that I successfully raised some clownfish my first try. In fact I still have one of them.

Don't lose heart if you don't raise any in the first several batches. My clowns spawned twice a month for years and years so you will have lots of opportunities. If I remember right it was about 15-19 days from being layed to hatching. Once I saw eyes I would turn my return pump off and just run powerheads at night. Mine always hatched about 20 minutes after the lights went out. For me the trick was scooping up the fry before the cardinals ate them.

• Like 2

Thanks vlangel! No, I haven't read that book yet, but I just downloaded it now, so I'll give it a look.

How are the cultures doing?

I just started my phyto cultures (using this as a guide).

102116b.jpg

I used a 16oz bottle of Phyco Pure Greenwater (live Nannochloropsis oculata) and 1ml (per 2L bottle) of Miracle Grow all purpose liquid plant food.

I'm sure that I'm not feeding the rotifers enough, so I don't think they are doing that great. I'll have to evaluate it this weekend before hatch night. If the culture isn't doing well enough, I'll let this clutch go too.

• Like 2

Thanks vlangel! No, I haven't read that book yet, but I just downloaded it now, so I'll give it a look.

I just started my phyto cultures.

102116b.jpg

I'm sure that I'm not feeding the rotifers enough, so I don't think they are doing that great. I'll have to evaluate it this weekend before hatch night. If the culture isn't doing well enough, I'll let this clutch go too.

Keeping a rotifer culture going was the hardest part for me. One day of waiting a little too long to feed them and it would crash. The other hard part for me was guessing how many rotifer to feed the larvae. If they ate too much their bellies could explode, if they didn't eat enough they would starve and I never could see the rotifer well enough to even guess at the densities that I was giving them. It got a whole lot easier once they could eat newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

• Like 1

This has been fun to follow, but I can't help wonder how mamma fish is feeling..... probably like I feel when my husband is on a work trip and I get the whole bed to myself. Except, she has the whole tank to herself as he clings to that rock. She's going to keep spitting out eggs just to keep him out of her way!

• Like 3