Pod Your Reef

seabass

So sorry everyone. :(

I was looking all over for Finley this morning and couldn't find him anywhere. Finally I found him; last night he must have wedged himself in a silicone seam (right at the water level) and couldn't free himself. In the book, they mention fixing any defects in the silicone, but I had already had the tank full by the time I read that.

I had slowly been lowing the water level in the tank, and I must have hit a sweet spot where Finley was more prone to find it. I'll drain the tank and fix the seams prior to the next attempt (or maybe I'll just resurrect my Mr Aqua 17.1 gallon, which has impeccable seams). Bummer.

:(

• Like 2

Thanks guys. We'll try again after Christmas. I'll keep the cultures growing so I'm ready.

I think that I have been delaying the hatchings by checking on them too quickly or too often (basically providing too much light and pushing it back). While I'm not going to save any of the larvae this time, I'm going to see if I can spot the larvae (without having to stay up all night).

111716a.jpg

I think it's only been a week, but it looks like there are some silver reflections. Appears to be a nice batch this time. It's a shame that I won't save any of these.

• Like 4

The eggs hatched last night. However, I didn't stay up to check on them. This morning, the rock was bare.

Today, the female is looking ripe with more eggs. I really need to clean the tank before she lays more eggs. I want to move them to a 40 breeder while I dismantle their tank.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I still haven't moved my clownfish back to their 100 gallon home (contemplating some plumbing changes). As to be expected, they are not breeding in the 20L.

My phyto cultures were lightening up. I thought that maybe a rotifer contaminated the culture, but nope. My maintenance of the culture had just suffered and it had used up the fertilizer. I dumped a gallon of the greenwater and replaced it with new saltwater with 3ml of Kent Essential Elements and 3ml of Miracle-Gro Liquid All Purpose Plant Food, and it greened right up.

Also on the culture front, my rotifer cultures were staying nice and dark green. I thought that was strange, so I checked the population density. There were almost no live rotifers in the culture. However, I did find an adult brine shrimp swimming happily in two of the cultures. I'm not sure why the culture failed (if it was the shrimp or some other problem).

I did a 100% water change today on the rotifer cultures. There couldn't have been more than 50 rotifers left. I hope that's enough to rebuild the culture. I've read that it only takes one, so we'll see. Supposedly they can quadruple their numbers in a day. If that's the case, in theory, I could have more than 800,000 rotifers by the end of the week.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The aquariums are in Future World, just past the ball and to your right. If you go on the ride (The Seas with Nemo & Friends), you end up at the aquariums. However, you can bypass the ride (riding it once was enough for me) by heading to the left and entering through the gift shop (where the people are leaving). The clownfish tank is in the same room as the coral and frag tanks.

I haven't decided if I'm going to try and raise this clutch or not. It will probably depend on my rotifer cultures. I haven't checked them since I've been back. My guess is that I'll have to build them up some more before I give it a go.

So I checked the rotifer cultures, and they are nowhere near dense enough to raise this clutch. Sure I left them fend for themselves while I was away, but I don't see that being a big problem.

It's funny, I didn't seem to have problems with the culture when I was raising Finley. Now I'm wondering why the cultures aren't doing well. It's certainly not due to lack of food, as the cultures are darker green than ever before. I've also been checking ammonia, and that isn't an issue either.

Anyway, I just changed the rotifer water. I also plan on increasing the maintenance that I'm doing on the culture containers. I'm trying to avoid purchasing another culture. I think there are still enough to build a suitable population; I hope anyway.