Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

14 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

What kind of bowl is that? It looks cool.

Its a diy.  I went to Walmart and bought a custard cup.  Then I went to Pet Valu and bought a round linked rubber dog toy.  I cut the dog toy apart and kept the shapes I wanted for hitches and superglued them to the custard cup.  I hold it to the glass with my large magnet cleaner.  I guess its kind of ghetto but its kind of what I wanted.

• Like 4
RIP Sebastian
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Its a diy.  I went to Walmart and bought a custard cup.  Then I went to Pet Valu and bought a round linked rubber dog toy.  I cut the dog toy apart and kept the shapes I wanted for hitches and superglued them to the custard cup.  I hold it to the glass with my large magnet cleaner.  I guess its kind of ghetto but its kind of what I wanted.

Neat! Cool idea.

My girls have totally got the idea of eating from the new food bowl. As soon as I turn off the powerhead they head for the bowl.  Samson is another story, he is usually oblivious. That forces me to personally feed him with the turkey baster but even then he lets the girls beat him to the snick!  He is a bit thin and the girls are all little heifers.

• Like 6
RIP Sebastian
6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

My girls have totally got the idea of eating from the new food bowl. As soon as I turn off the powerhead they head for the bowl.  Samson is another story, he is usually oblivious. That forces me to personally feed him with the turkey baster but even then he lets the girls beat him to the snick!  He is a bit thin and the girls are all little heifers.

"The girls are all little heifers." :lol:

Glad to hear they're doing well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RIP Sebastian said:

"The girls are all little heifers." :lol:

Glad to hear they're doing well.

My Grandma Micki used to call me a little heifer when I was in high school.  I did not appreciate it so I hope my girls are not offended, ha ha!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Maybe Samson is related to @Weetabix7's Dinky! :lol:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh goodness, maybe he is!!! 

On the positive side, Dinky has figured out food is a good thing he should pursue, now he just needs to get more effective at it.

Hopefully Samson will too. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh goodness, maybe he is!!! 

On the positive side, Dinky has figured out food is a good thing he should pursue, now he just needs to get more effective at it.

Hopefully Samson will too. 

Definitely, they seem to have some of the very same characteristics.  Maybe I should call him Samsoninky, only he doesn't have a brain!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

Definitely, they seem to have some of the very same characteristics.  Maybe I should call him Samsoninky, only he doesn't have a brain!

They need to journey to Oz to get a Brain!!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

They need to journey to Oz to get a Brain!!

Yes but does anyone have red slippers so they can get back to their tanks?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Yes but does anyone have red slippers so they can get back to their tanks?

Hmmm, need to be on the lookout for those.....

• Like 1

I just caught up and probably blew up your notifications, Dawn :)

I love the new ponies and everything looks absolutely fabulous!!!!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, stellablue said:

I just caught up and probably blew up your notifications, Dawn :)

I love the new ponies and everything looks absolutely fabulous!!!!

Ha ha, when I clicked on nano-reef and it said 27 notifications my eyes almost popped out, LOL!  I guess you had some catching up to do...the life of a busy, not starving artist I suppose. :-)  Anyway thanks for catching up.  I am finding that 4 ponies are exponetially more fun because they interact so uniquely with each other, its really cool.

• Like 6

I found an extra U-tube when I reorganised for the new WC station.  I got to thinking that with my new variable speed DC 6000 return pump, I could probably replace the U-tube configured with the Aqualifter pump.  I could adjust the flow to closely match the capacity of the HOB overflow and drain.  It is working perfectly with absolutely no bubble build up.  I turned the pump off and on multiple Xs to double check and its all good.

I also swept out the small fan built in my T5 Coralife fixture.  It was really dirty since I had never cleaned it before.  It still works after it was cleaned so I will consider it all good.

• Like 4

The ponies and their tank are doing great.  A week or 2 ago the caulerpa in the DT and the sump did not look as healthy as it should.  I had noticed that the DT was not getting as much film algae as I thought it should also.  

That led me to believe that the system was running a bit too clean.  To remedy that I decided to feed the corals with some small invert food as I figured it would help the gorgs look more lush while feeding the macros.  Also I added magnesium because I know caulerpa really sucks it up.  Anyway everything looks better, both macros and coral.  Its a balancing act.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

20170515_202320_zpsxkxuhf6c.jpg

A pretty lil' pic of Delilah.  I just love her cirri and I think it is even longer than it used to be.

She's so pretty!!

Is Samson eating any better?

29 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The ponies and their tank are doing great.  A week or 2 ago the caulerpa in the DT and the sump did not look as healthy as it should.  I had noticed that the DT was not getting as much film algae as I thought it should also.  

That led me to believe that the system was running a bit too clean.  To remedy that I decided to feed the corals with some small invert food as I figured it would help the gorgs look more lush while feeding the macros.  Also I added magnesium because I know caulerpa really sucks it up.  Anyway everything looks better, both macros and coral.  Its a balancing act.

You're right about the balancing act!!!

I've started adding Reef Plus for extra nutrients and trace elements for the Macros and have found myself deliberately not cleaning off the front of the tank so that the snails don't starve, lol. 

• Like 2

20170515_204506_zpscekgecsv.jpg~original 

Here is Eve and Samson at the food bowl chowing down.  Samson is eating much better but he is easily distracted into flirting instead, ha ha!  

• Like 7
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

20170515_204506_zpscekgecsv.jpg

Here is Eve and Samson at the food bowl chowing down.  Samson is eating much better but he is easily distracted into flirting instead, ha ha!  

Silly boy. :rolleyes:

Nice pic tho!

• Like 2

20170515_210217_zps0mckvpre.jpg

I need to represent everyone, so here is Ruth, my pretty little pinto.  She had grown a lot.

I left a little film algae on the glass behind Ruth for the snails.

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Samson looks so tiny!!!

He is tiny but mighty in spirit.  Twice now he has caused Eve to drop eggs in the tank.  It looks so funny to see him courting with Eve because he is such a pip-squeak!

• Like 3