Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

I too am very glad to hear about some improvement in Ruth.  Hope she can return to the Herd soon :)

Please let us know what seahorse.com recommends :)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad to read that Ruth is still getting better. If it is bacterial will you have to treat the display tank? Is it some thing you can see? I was wondering what is the normal life expectancy for sea horses in captivity?

If it is bacterial in nature, (and I believe it is) then I need to try and find what is fueling or feeding the bacteria.  Piles of uneatten food and even detritus can fuel bacteria.  Filter socks catch most big stuff going to the sump and I blast all my rock and coral a couple Xs a week with a turkey baster to dislodge any trapped food and detritus.  So that is what I look for, a collection of debris of anything and then I eliminate it.

This time it may have been due to a bad batch of feeder shrimp.  They are usually healthy when I order them but this batch has been continueing to die.  I have not fed any since we got home from our trip and I plan to break down the feeder tank and sterilize everything.

Captive bred Seahorses should live 5 years in captivity and can live 7+ years.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Astinus said:

I too am very glad to hear about some improvement in Ruth.  Hope she can return to the Herd soon :)

Please let us know what seahorse.com recommends :)

I heard from seahorse.org (I was mistaken when I typed .com) and I should continue treatment for at least 5 more days.  She may have a bacterial gill infection but an internal bacterial infection can manifest itself like this as well.  Either way the treatment is Furan 2.

I am leaning toward bad feeder shrimp being the source of the infection.  Which is good news for all the other ponies because I am not feeding any of those shrimp.

• Like 4

I am so encouraged about Ruth.  I believe that she is out of the woods.  Her breathing is returning to normal and yesterday she swam up and greeted me!  She still has a few days left of treatment and its looking like when that is finished that she can return to the DT.

I broke down the feeder shrimp tank and am sterilizing it.  I couldn't bring myself to just throw out the live shrimp who were still in it but I don't trust feeding them to the ponies.  So I put them in a bucket and began acclimating them to fresh water from my pond.  They seem to make the change so this morning they got dumped into the pond to hopefully enjoy living there over the summer.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I am so encouraged about Ruth.  I believe that she is out of the woods.  Her breathing is returning to normal and yesterday she swam up and greeted me!  She still has a few days left of treatment and its looking like when that is finished that she can return to the DT.

I broke down the feeder shrimp tank and am sterilizing it.  I couldn't bring myself to just throw out the live shrimp who were still in it but I don't trust feeding them to the ponies.  So I put them in a bucket and began acclimating them to fresh water from my pond.  They seem to make the change so this morning they got dumped into the pond to hopefully enjoy living there over the summer.

This is GREAT news, I'm so glad to hear it!!!

• Like 1
On 4/21/2017 at 7:28 AM, Weetabix7 said:

This is GREAT news, I'm so glad to hear it!!!

On 4/21/2017 at 8:30 AM, debbeach13 said:

Alright! Great news.

I know, I couldn't be happier.  2 more days of treatment and she will be ready to return.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Yay!

Thats what I am saying too.  Well more like HALLELUIA! (with angelic voices in the backround).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

So happy Ruth's doing good!  How are the new ponies?

The new ponies are doing excellent.  I have been meaning to take pics but my tank lights come on in the afternoon and it does not get dark very much before my lights go off.  Hopefully I will take pics or a quick video when Ruth returns.

• Like 3

Today makes Ruth's 10th day of treatment.  She seems totally back to normal.  Now I am pondering whether I should move her back into the DT this afternoon or just keep her in the HT a few more days to make sure she does not have a relapse.  Its a tough decision.  I am leaning toward moving her back to the DT and watching her closely.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2017 at 9:03 AM, debbeach13 said:

That is a tough decision and only you can make it. I would probably give her a couple more days. Just to see how she is while coming off the med's. Good luck what ever you do.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:27 AM, Astinus said:

I agree with Deb, It might be wise to keep her in the HT for observation :)

Glad to hear that Ruth is on mend :)

I maybe should have done what you both recommended.  I am just not sure that she is totally right yet.  She was so happy to be in the DT with Eve though.  Eve was happy too.  It was sweet to see their reunion.  She has been hanging out with Eve ever since.  I am keeping a very close eye on her.

13 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

+1

13 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh my goodness, she's BEAUTIFUL!!!

13 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I love her!! :wub:

Delilah is very exotic looking with all the cirri, (filamentous tissue that look like branches).  She may eventually lose that but some ponies keep it.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Here is a video of the tank and all 4 ponies, although Samson is hard to see under the big gorg.

Just lovely. 

I could actually see Samson reasonably well about 3/4 of the way through. I like his patterning and stripes. 

Delilah looks beautiful & happy. 

We are all rooting for Ruth, here's hoping for steady, continued improvement. 

• Like 2

I haven't been on the forums much lately but I've been following your thread whenever you post on the ponies. They look great, glad to hear things are doing well and they are healthy. Your new horse with the cirri is beautiful.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Just lovely. 

I could actually see Samson reasonably well about 3/4 of the way through. I like his patterning and stripes. 

Delilah looks beautiful & happy. 

We are all rooting for Ruth, here's hoping for steady, continued improvement. 

Thanks Weetie, I think they are lovely too.  Samson really does have strong bold stripes and patterning which is why I thought Samson was a fitting name.  He is definitely a lady's man.  I have caught him caressing all the girls with his tail, ha ha!

Delilah is delicate and exotic and kind of shy.  I don't quite picture her namesake shy but oh well.

Ruth ate terrific today so I am just keeping my eye on her.

• Like 2